Were you afraid to go to a bar?

by rebel8 47 Replies latest social relationships

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've never been to a bar. Has nothing to do with fear, rather, I simply have never had occasion nor desire to go to one. I tend to avoid places where a lot of smoking is going on. Used to go to a lot of horse auctions, and my eyes would be watering and burning from the putrid smoke a few minutes in. Now that smoking is being banned in a lot of places, I may go to a bar before long.

• undercover
    undercover

I grew up in a fairly conservative part of the South, not a dry county but no liquor by the drink at restaurants and no bars. When I was in high school they finally passed liquor by the drink and bars started appearing.

I did most of my drinking as a young person at pizza parlors that sold beer by the pitcher or at someone's house. Bars were pretty foreign to me at that point.

But even as a JW, by the time I was 30 and had the chance to travel some, I came to appreciate bars and bar life. I wasn't always comfortable interacting with "worldly" people still, as my social skills were lacking, but I learned that a bar in itself was not a bad thing. I actually learned to appreciate sitting in a bar and enjoying a cocktail and watching the game on TV.

I think I started going mostly with sports bars, where you could rationalize going there because you wanted to watch a game. Over time, though I started appreciating nicer bars, like a nice martini bar.

I remember the first biker bar I went in. I was about 25. I was scared shitless, but the guys (and the girl I was sweet on) wanted to go there. But after an evening of shooting pool and actually interacting with some 1%er bikers, we came out having enjoyed ourselves.

I can pretty much go into any kind of bar and feel comfortable these days.

In England I really learned to appreciate the pub life. It's much more neighborly and down to earth in most pubs there, though they do have their American style bars.

• snowbird
    snowbird

My.

Sylvia

• wobble
    wobble

Undercover is right about the UK,but because of the economic situation pubs are closing at the rate of about forty per week! it breaks my heart!

I love Pubs and their atmos.even when they were smokey! I was introduced to drinking at the age of thirteen by my also "born in" best friend (now my BIL !) when we went to a CA in London near where my sister was piosneering.I started to frequent Pubs about a year later,thrown out of some for being underage (18) but most served us.

In my Congo (that was) we used to have a regular meet in a Pub for a few beers after the mid-week meeting, it got so famous Bros used to come from neighbouring Congos to join in,we even got to jokingly taking an attendance figure! it was frowned on by many up-their -own-arses Elders,some in our Congo, more who just heard about it in local Congos, but every week at least two Elders were there and said they were able to do much effective shepherding while there!

One time a C.O who liked a drink was staying nearby and joined us, he just said don't let it get too big and out of hand. (he left the WT, pity for the Dubs,he was sensible)

But I was NEVER afraid to go for a beer,didn't care who saw me.

Love

Wobble

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My husband and I had never gone into bars or Taverns the whole time we were witnesses .

We rarely drank at home either . However several in our hall had drinking problems so we had quite a few Local needs talks about over drinking , not coming to the meeting after drinking (don't drink wine w/supper before your talk ) And do not frequent bars because we all know people in there are just looking to get drunk and to fornicate with someone they pick up .

When I began my fade I made friends with several work mates that loved to bar hop and listen to bands . The first few times I went with I was a little scared ....but I got over it ! Now my husband and I have found the best burgers and ribs in town are at the small bar downtown . We go at least once a month with our friends to listen to bands and drink and have a really good time doing so .

I can see where the danger may lie for younger ones or for someone naive could get into trouble ,but for the most part the people I have met are out with friends looking to have some fun and unwind .

• snowbird
    snowbird

TroubledMind.

Sylvia

• Spook
    Spook

I was terrified of going to bars...terrified I'd spend all my money on shots!

Nah, I went all the time. Eventually got in trouble by bringing a traitorous prick with me though. Bachelor's party for a good buddy - he wanted to come, then felt guilty and ratted everyone out without talking to them first. I went to a wedding recently at a KH, and I shunned him! Muhahaha.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Dry Counties in the U.S.

We've got a few in Florida.

BTS

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

When I was 18 after the Friday meeting at the kingdom hall we when to a bar with live country music. I told my parents I was going out to eat with Bob. That was in 1967. Back then the drinking age was 18. That was my first exposure to bar. It was really cool and I felt grown up. Bob was 10 years older than me.

Now am 58 years old and I do not care. Actually it is agaist state law for me to go into a bar, so i can't. I will have hell to pay.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I went quite frequently, even when I was an active dub. I saw nothing wrong with it.

The first time I went to a bar I was sorely disappointed when I was not accosted by a mob of horny vixens.

That gets old after a while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit