crawling babies on the painted concrete floor
    as children of all ages were playing the pinball
    and video games, racking 'em up on the pool
    table and eating pizzas, hamburgers and pickled
    eggs while their parents ( dentist, lawyers, business
    owners, laborers, at-home parents, teachers, musicians
    aritists, you name it!) jabbered and enjoyed a local brew
    and each other's company...

some of the best community hijinks i was ever a part of.....
    even as an assimilated dr0ne in the b0rg c0llective

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It seems a lot depends on where you live, doesn't it? If the social custom permits it, The Borg has no objection - hell , J F R consumed enough of the stuff !

In the U K - absolutely no problem ....

As a kid I can remember that for a Kingdom Hall, one local congo used to hire a room above a Pub. (they have got their own place now of course)

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I would pray for holy spirit-then walk in with a handful of literature and speak the "truth" to these worldlings until I was asked to leave. Where else could you get Time @ 11pm?

• rebel8
    rebel8

It was definitely prohibited here to go to bars.

eating pizzas, hamburgers and pickled eggs

to the pickled eggs! Never ever heard of them being served anywhere in the US.

What you describe though sounds a lot more like a restaurant than a bar.

Prohibited places we call "bars" here have either no or a very limited menu. The main item sold is alcohol by far. The purpose is alcohol; food is just a way to make people thirsty so they'll buy more alcohol.

They're also 'pick up joints' I'd say. If nothing else, a place to interact with worldlies. Never allowed by the elders here.

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

Yes, I have been afraid to go to bars in the past. It made me feel dirty. But, my Bf and I went to a bar two nights ago for karaoke night. We were not too happy. Alot of people were obnoxiously drunk. We decided we don't really care for it. We would rather sit at home and have a beer around the campfire or watch a movie. Far less drama!!

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I got a bartender's license when I was a JW thinking I could work in a restaurant like Olive Garden or Applebees. All my JW friends who found out about it were horrified. "You can't work in a bar!"

• rebel8
    rebel8

vikesgirl, why did you feel dirty for going to a bar?

I agree w/you about the drunk people. I don't enjoy watching people be self-destructive.

Not all bars are full of intoxicated people. Some bars are not like that...but regardless of the circumstances, I've never felt I was dirty.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I was 16 when I went to the bar the first time; a biker bar with hard rock bands. I remember thinking it was awesome and I felt like such the rebel, lol. Got a lil looped on tequila and my wordly school buddies and I went to see the premiere of this movie that looked pretty good, The Terminator. A great night as I recall.

I wasn't afraid to do what I wanted but I was afraid of getting caught at first. That feeling passed in time,..;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit