Were you afraid to go to a bar?

by rebel8 47 Replies latest social relationships

• rebel8
    rebel8

Someone who shall remain nameless (*cough*snowbird*cough) mentioned she has never been to a bar.

This shocks me.

I was remembering how terrified I was of going to a bar when I was exiting the mother ship. I was looking for the lightning bolts to get me.

And it was a big nothing really. Nightclubs, now that's another story......

How many of you have never been to a bar or were afraid to go to one?

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Hi rebel,

in Europe it is nothing unthinkable, many you can go to a bar and nobody really cares. Of course you cannot get drunk to much ...

But I think most JWs in Europe are more "loose" than in US (depends on country ...) . Have many friends in Holland, and they are really wild ... kids dressed very worldly, posters of pop stars in kids rooms, adults partying very often, fancy cars and motorcycles etc... While visiting them, we were "stumbled" often...

Albert

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL.

There are no bars here in the hinterlands, dearie.

Lots of "hit houses," though.

I was raised to believe ladies don't frequent "hit houses."

Sylvia

• The Berean
    The Berean

When I was of legal age I was encouraged by Mother to "flee from those things incidental to youth" so I kept out of bars ... UNTIL ... I literally watched my Ministry School Conducter crawl out of a pub with a lady of ill-repute on a Friday night. Later, this former servant and JW would explain to me (at another lounge) that he started frequenting bars when his fine Christain ex-wife forbade him from drinking at home. She won ... I guess!!!

• VIII
    VIII

*cough, cough*

I was hanging with a tough crowd as a teen. I was going to a bar when I was 16. That bar got busted by the local cops and we ended up going to a bar in a distant town.

I haven't been to a bar in years. Probably 6-7. Now I would be nervous. Then, I was very brave. Even as a JW. I would go out on weeknights when there were no meetings and out in FS on Saturdays. Somehow I scammed my Mom.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I went to bars when I was an active JW. I was a bartender for a while, as part of a job I had working at a restaurant, but I didn't talk about it.

Since I was more or less "raised in the truth" the only people who I had to drink with were other JWs. We'd sit around and get sloshed at private home parties.

Some of the Witnesses I know still are pretty heavy social drinkers. My husband always used to jokingly say that if you get with the right bunch, Witnesses throw the best parties!

Last time I went to a JW get together, a few years ago, a lot of wine flowed. I sat nursing my glass (I was driving) and watched the PO's wife drink a whole bottle of wine herself.

You know, I always liked her better when she was buzzed. LOL

• Kudra
    Kudra

I met my first *worldly* boyfriend when I was still a JW at a bar in my college town.

Sounds just like a cautionary tale from the WT!!!

Went to university, went out to a bar to see a show and got picked up on by this guy- started dating, stopped going to the meetings!! woohoo!

-K

• rebel8
    rebel8

snowbird

Must be that language barrier. LOL

I don't know what a hithouse is. ??? Neither does Google. :D

What I mean by a bar is just a place that sells drinks. Could also be a restaurant. Here in jw fundieland, we were not allowed to go to such a place unless we were eating a meal in the restaurant section with Approved AssociatesTM.

A nightclub (in my definition) is a place where music is played and dancing is done. Usually no food, just drinks.

Some bars are pretty tame. Ranges from grandpas sitting around having a beer and watching the afternoon football game to singles or married adulterers looking to hook up.

I've never been to a tame nightclub. There were fights, drugs, lots of hookups, dirty dancing, etc. Definitely not permitted for dubbies.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The first time I went to a bar I was sorely disappointed when I was not accosted by a mob of horny vixens.

Hell, based on everything I had heard about bars at the Kingdom Hall and Assemblies, that's what I thought would happen.

Turns out it's much easier to get in the pants of a JW girl than a "worldly" girl. You actually have to work to win the affections of a "worldly" girl whereas JW girls are like "cows in heat"*.

* Reference the 1960's Awake! article about women and their "nature"

• snowbird
    snowbird

A "hit house" is a place where alcoholic drinks or "hits" can be bought and consumed.

It's just an ordinary house, but the owner is unlicensed, so sells alcohol illegally.

Urban Dictionary didn't have it listed, so I did it for them!

LOL.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit