No One Should Be Made to Choose…..LIES from July 09 Awake

by Hopscotch 216 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

The JWs are experts at the Red Herring. They talk about other religions and spew propaganda about those other religions hoping you dont NOTICE that they are describing THEMSELVES to a T!!

I remember reading a series of articles about Propaganda a few years ago that they wrote...and it positively made me PUKE!!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

WuzLovesDubs - you MADE me look, lol...

http://watchtower.org/e/20000622/article_01.htm

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Carla, thanx for that quote...I will use it on my wife...

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

good spot Hobo. Ignore Nic.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The biggest problem with the Watchtowers reasoning on this subject (and many others) is that they never comprehensively examine the full outcome of their actions.

The quote we keep takling about (i.e. nobody should be made to choose between belief and family) is stated in such a way as to imply a universial application. As if this is some sort of ethical rule by which all people should be treated.

But is that what they really mean? They never explain the details and instead keep their articles generic and ambiguous. A JW and a non-jw will take away differeant things from this. A JW will recognize that this rule applies except when somebody is leaving "the truth" while a non-jw will most likely believe it implies universal application.

The question then remains, is the Watchtower implying a universal standard or is it not? Typcially when something is put forward as a univeral standard the basics are stated and then if there any exceptions they should be listed in details. The Watchtower however implies that a standard is universal and then says nothing about exceptions.

Notice how general and non descriptive this is:

No one (who are we speaking of? JWs, Ex-Jws, Non-JWs who want to be JWs?)

should be forced (what are the methods of this "force" and how are they applied? Can both JWs and Non-JWs applie this unfair force?)

to worship in a way that he find unacceptable (are jws, non-jws, and ex-jws all included?)

or be made to choose (again, how is one "made to choose"? What are the specific actions? How is it done?)

between his beliefs and his family. (whose beliefs and who family?)

There are many possible combinations:

Non-JW "forces" Person interested in becoming JW

Non-JW "forces" JW

Non-JW "forces" Non-JW

Non-JW "forces" Ex-JW

JW "Forces" Non-JW

JW "Forces" Ex-JW

EX-JW "Forces" Non-JW

Ex-JW "Forces" JW

Ex-JW "forces" Person interested in becoming JW

I'm sure I missed some. The point is that if this statement is not a "universal truth" then the exceptions (taken from the above list) should be described as to why they are exceptions.

OF course, this would force the WTS to admit that the standard is only good for those who "have the real truth", a morally dubious statement they would like to avoid making in print.

• boyzone
    boyzone

I took this article into work today to show my colleagues along with the relevant paragraphs from the "How to treat a disfellowshipped person" appendix studied 2 weeks ago at the meeting. I explained that the Awake article was for the public and the appendix material was for Jehovahs Witnesses. I wanted to show them the Awake because they may be offered it on their doorstep.

They were gobsmacked at the opposite statements made. One of my colleagues actually couldn't believe that JW's would be that devious. I explained that the public face can be very different to the private one and only when they've convinced you its the truth do you find out whats really involved.

All in all they were pretty disgusted and vowed to send them packing if they called at their door.

So, a result.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Gawd Midwich it STILL infuriates me!!!

• passwordprotected
  • leavingwt
  • passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

thanks, safari won't let me do that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest