1975 coverup! Compare the '68 and '81 Truth book scans

by JimmyPage 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Bookmarked and re-posted. This needs to stay in out threads.

• steve2
    steve2

At the district convention in which the "Truth" book was first released, we were told it would be the last book we would ever need to conduct Bible studies to bring people into the organization. The end was shatteringly close. There was a shudder of delighted exhalations from the throngs lapping up every word. JWs really knew how to exhale with delight back then.

The book was relatively brief by the organization's windy standards (192 slim pages compared to the previous Bible Study book, "Let Your Word Be True" which ran into several hundred pages of hard-to-digest, long-winded stodge).

It was also hard hitting with its pithy questions,neat pictures and diagrams; I loved the one that arrowed from 1914 to the end of this system - I think there was a 1975 thrown in there for good measure. Rivetting. I would not get old. There was no time for careers. I looked forward to the soon-to-arrive time when I could look upon any decent looking man with anything other than lust. Fool.

The book was also - I have to admit - well written. The chapter Why It Is Wise To Examine Your Religion is perhaps more simplistic sounding than it was over 40 years ago, but the questions it raised about putting your faith to the test are timelessly relevant. JWs would do well to take those questions seriously and examine their religion! Ouch.

I have many happy memories of reading and re-reading this book - and I estimate over the years that I would have sold placed dozens upon dozens of copies. The applause is deafening - modesty forces me to say, Please stop. I was only following orders.

There will never be another book like the Truth book. I do not say this in a sentimental way. It is that rare confluence of timing (the late 1960s), emerging secular concerns about pollution, exploding population, triumphant communism and my adolescence - a time when I knew everything.

It was "lovingly" refered to as "the Blue Bombshell" and Malcolm Muggeridge, the well-known BBC commentator was famously quoted as saying he had received several copies in the post from concerned Witnesses. I think he also had them on his program spouting the organization's brazen predictions about 1975.

Oh, and the organization regularly boasted about how many millions upon millions of copies of the Truth book had been "placed" (never say "sold". Never )

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I remember the days steve2...

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

nice find. marked.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

The approaching peace of a 1000 years. WT 10-15-69

36 After this taking away of all human and demon obstructors of world peace there will come the reign of the Prince of Peace over all the earth. God’s fixed time for this is approaching, and along with it the peace of a thousand years. A thousand years equals a millennium. This reminds us of something said in the aforementioned inaugural speech of the American president on January 20, 1969. He remarked upon the approach of things of interest to Americans and to all Christendom.

In the eighth paragraph of his speech the newly sworn-in president said:“Eight years from now America will celebrate its 200th anniversary as a nation. And within the lifetime of most people now living, mankind will celebrate that great new year which comes only once in a thousand years—the beginning of the third millennium.” The president was referring to A.D. 2001.

The next remarks of the president showed that he expected there to be an America in the first year of that third millennium. But for God-fearing students of the Holy Bible containing both the ancient Hebrew Scriptures and the Christian Greek Scriptures, there is a more important millennium that compels their attention. That is the seventh millennium! No, not the seventh millennium measured from A.D. 1, but the seventh millennium of man’s existence here on earth, the seventh millennium measured from God’s creation of perfect man and woman in the garden of Eden. This is usually measured according to the Anno Mundi rule or “In the Year of the World” calendar, the world of mankind being here meant.

Does this fact have any bearing on the approach of the peace of a thousand years or of a millennium? Very apparently Yes! According to the calendar of the Orthodox Jews, the new American president delivered his inaugural speech at the beginning of the fifth lunar month of the year 5729 A.M., this date being based on the ancient Hebrew Scriptures alone. But according to chronologers or time checkers who take into account also the inspired Christian Greek Scriptures, the Jewish calendar is more than two hundred years behind time. In certain editions of the Holy Bible, Catholic and Protestant, there have appeared dates according to the chronology of the noted Irish Anglican prelate, Archbishop James Ussher (1581-1656 C.E.). Ussher’s date for man’s creation is 4004 B.C.E. By this reckoning six thousand years or six millenniums of man’s existence would end in the autumn of the coming year of 1996 C.E. after which the seventh millennium of man’s existence would start.

39 More recently earnest researchers of the Holy Bible have made a recheck of its chronology. According to their calculations the six millenniums of mankind’s life on earth WOULD END IN THE MID SEVENTIES. Thus the seventh millennium from man’s creation by Jehovah God would BEGIN WITHIN LESS THAN TEN YEARS.

40 Apart from the global change that present-day world conditions indicate is fast getting near, the arrival of the seventh millennium of man’s existence on earth suggests a gladsome change for war-stricken humankind. According to the first two chapters of the Holy Bible man and woman were created toward the close of the sixth creative day. We are now living in the seventh creative day, and on this seventh day Jehovah God has been resting from earthly creation. To run parallel with this resting of God on his seventh creative day, he gave the Ten Commandments to his prophet Moses, in the fourth one of which God commanded that his chosen people should rest on the seventh day of the week.(Ex. 20:8-11) That day was therefore the weekly sabbath day, the day of desistance from human toil.

• caliber
    caliber

The book was relatively brief by the organization's windy standards (192 slim pages compared to the previous Bible Study book, "Let Your Word Be True" which ran into several hundred pages of hard-to-digest, long-winded stodge).

It was "lovingly" refered to as "the Blue Bombshell ....organization regularly boasted about how many millions upon millions of copies of the Truth book ... It was writtem by Ray Franz so even the revised version was allowed to fall into mere history

The red bomb: You can ( 1982/1989-You CanLive Forever ... which replaced the blue bomb, (the Truth book ) 1968 / 1981

Notice both were colorful and powerful but over only a few years become so outdated they required revising.

They carried the excitement forward from 68 / 89 and beyond until the trouble started with "this generation' ran out 1984/1994

from feeling blue to the acceptence & resignation of the gray

• steve2
    steve2

from feeling blue to the acceptence & resignation of the gray

well said caliber - and in living color!

• caliber
    caliber

Some witness"s are now armed with .... " The Silver Bullet " Beware !!

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

The omission of these quotes in the 1981 Truth book say alot! It proves that the WTS was hyping the year 1975! Yes, they have always been pretty careful about saying outright, "The end will come in 1975", but they talked about it (and printed statements) in just about every other way so that the only conclusion the rank and file should reach is that the end is indeed coming in 1975. And, believe me, the rank and file GOT THE MESSAGE! Many of the older JWs out there became JWs because of this hype! And there are a few of those older JWs who will tell you outright that the WTS believed the end was coming in the fall of 1975!

• DATA-DOG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit