Was there any particular song or music u were not allowed to listen to because it was inappropriate or it was deemed demonized?

by jetery 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jetery
    jetery

I remember there was this heavy metal group called WASP. Some of the witnesses said it stood for We Are Satans people and that wasnt even true. Stairway to heaven by Led Zeppelin was a no-no because they said if u played it backwards it talked about worshipping the Devil. Madonna was someone they didnt like u listening to. She was too sexual. I even had some elders tell me that the reason why 2 of the teenage girls ran away from home was because of the music they were listening too. The music they were listening to was The Monkees because they even questioned me about it. The real story was one of the girls was being sexually abused by her father but it didn't come out until she was in her late 20's.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My dad was a Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin fan. But we couldn't listen to anything metal, definately NOT AC/DC like I wanted. I am an 80's baby, and love all the hair bands. But they were all naughty.

If my dad could see me now! I would love to see his reaction to my antics these days..

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

double post

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

My Dad expressly forbid "Come Together" (the Beatles), even though he owned the record. He said that song was specifically mentioned in the Watchtower as being inappropriate. His rationale fo rkeeping the record was that the 'B' side contained the song "Something", and that was acceptable, I guess.

When I was at Bethel, a young guy was kicked out when his roommate ratted him out for having 'inappropriate' music. The next day, one of the Governing Body (can't recall who) listed off certain songs/albums/titles in the young man's collection, indicating that all of these would be inappropriate. All that day, I tried to remember the songs/albums/titles he said so I could write them down when I got back to my room. Here's what I wrote:

Stone Temple Pilots, Soul Asylum, Dead and Bloated, Sexy Type Thing, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Blood Sugar Sex and Magic, Blind Leading the Naked, Bang and Blame, Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills, Slaughtered, Wet My Bed, Jar of Flies, Like Suicide

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Shepherd Book,

I was at Morning Worship that particular morning, I believe.

I was in Brooklyn from 1994 to 2000. Were you there, then?

Am I right?

-LWT

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I remember when I was a little kid (late 70s or early 80s) at a CA they had a huge part on bad music. This was during the backward masking heyday. I remember them playing a song - I think it was "Another one bites the dust" by Queen. Supposedly, it was backmasked to say something like "decide to smoke marijuana". They played it backward at normal speed, and even when they planted the suggestion, no one could make it out. Then they slowed it down real slow and it sort of sounded that way. But, since the mind was looking for the pattern, you wanted to hear it. The crowd ate it up but I thought it was kind of creepy.

Of course, after the program, the lynch mob was in full effect.

I could understand the whole metal thing in some respect but never got the obsession with hating rap. Not all rap was questionable, even by JW standards, but it seemed that was the most vilified type of music.

• danfromma
    danfromma

I do remeber 3 achronyms that I never heard again after leaving the JWs.

AC/DC- Anti Christ Demonic Cult

KISS- Knights in Satan's Service

SLAYER- Satan laughs as you eternally rot

No one I have met since leaving the JWs who listens to this music has ever heard of the achronyms.

• Nowman
    Nowman

Well-this brings back so many memories~

1. I was a teenager from late 80s-early 90s. That song, "you don't have to take your clothes off" was big then (it was in my school at least). I was allowed to listen to it, because it said you don't have to take your clothes off

2. song "secret lovers", was not allowed to listen to it

3. I went through a faze (i.e when the movie Stand by Me came out) where I litened to oldies, then I did not have to worry about my parents snapping because of what I was listening to

4. off the subject, but I think applies, I was not allowed to ride the Demon at 6-flags Great America because it was called the demon!

Nikki

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

As a kid it was all forbidden. I'm still playing catchup on music and TV shows.

Isaac

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I've heard of the AC/DC & KISS acronyms but not the Slayer one (although that's really funny). Also, my parents thought the Grateful Dead was heavy metal?? They were before my time - actually my parents generation. But, they've obviously never heard a Dead song if they think that's metal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit