Was there any particular song or music u were not allowed to listen to because it was inappropriate or it was deemed demonized?

by jetery 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

If they thought Grateful Dead was heavy metal, wait till they hear Jethro Tull!

• Nowman
    Nowman

Leolaia~

Seeing the Gratefull Dead was the 1st concert I went to after leaving the org back in 1992. I saw them at Soldier Field the last time Jerry Garcia performed live, at least I am pretty sure this is the case, I used to think the Dead were demon worshipers (because of my parents), but then you listen to their music, they acutally sounded more hippie-folkish, love them.

Sugar Magnolia, blossoms blooming...saw my baby down by the riverside...lah lah

Nikki

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Leolaia - Yeah, they were about as "hip" as the Grammy folks! I recall laughing so hard when they gave the Grammy to Jethro Tull for best metal band. It was the first one for that category, wasn't it??

Nowman - exactly. They demonize stuff they don't even know. Of course, my folks also bought into the whole Smurf thing so there you go!

• done4good
    done4good

I saw them at Soldier Field the last time Jerry Garcia performed live.

Nope. My bud was at the Giants stadium show two shows before he died in 1995.

j

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The thought police were in full gear when I was married the first time. B4 I had the elder come by to approve the music, I had to stow away alot so he couldn't see it. We gave him our list and he killed off about 20% of the music. He didn't like the lyrics. He tossed any Fleetwood mac before listenning to a single note. No Janet Jackson, etc. Hardly anything considered tame by todays standards was acceptable

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Stevie Nicks, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley - Crying in the Chapel.....any single music that was hard rock....

• watson
    watson

Santana, because it stould for Satan, of course. Double whammy was "Black Magic Woman," by.....SANTANA

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

LeavingWT--

I was there in 1994 as a temp through Oct and November. So, you were probably there. Do you remember which member of the Gov Body that was?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

No, I cannot recall which particular one it was. As you can imagine, I heard so many of them talk about music. Your comment, however, jogged my memory and I remember those specific titles.

• ozbrad
    ozbrad

AC/DC supposedly meant bi-sexual at the Assembly I went to in the 80s. They also went after Eagles,Fleedwood Mac, Queen ect it was a long list.

After that assembly my mother burnt most of my record collection and made me sell the rest.(2000 odd Lps and singles)

I think I got like 50 bux for the lot.

It was THE major reason I left the JWs soon after. Music was my only thing keeping me sane at the time and removing it was the last straw for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit