Was there any particular song or music u were not allowed to listen to because it was inappropriate or it was deemed demonized?

by jetery 39 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

WASP. Some of the witnesses said it stood for We Are Satans people and that wasnt even true.

The version I heard from a JW elder was it stood for We Are Sexual Perverts - pure JW Urban Legend

Stairway to heaven by Led Zeppelin was a no-no because they said if u played it backwards it talked about worshipping the Devil.

One of my fav tracks of all time - definitely in my top 10. I got counselled for this one

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

for some reason, my dad made me throw away black sabbath.....who would ever get the idea they were demonized? i have all their stuff now. oops! my head just did a 360! sorry! and steppenwolf had a song called "the pusher" and the chorus said "god damn the pusher man". frisbee material. uriah heep.....frisbee material. santana....frisbee material....yes, my dad actually threw them like a frisbee! blue oyster cult, rush(the demonic man in a pentagram!!! not), the beatles, queen(made you smoke dope!!!), led zeppelin(don't play it backwards!! ok. how about foewards!?) who came up with the lame brained idea that if you put lyrics backwards on an album your brain could, automatically, reverse it(like the retina does images) the lyrics so the brain could understand it? how stupid can you be?!? oh yeah, kiss was demunized too!

• cawshun
    cawshun

I know your all on rock music but the thing that gets me is a JW isn't suppose to listen to any Christian music,

Just a Closer Walk with Thee, Amazing Grace. What may I ask is wrong with those songs? They come from False Religions? Nothing is more boring then the KH song book.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Yep..Alas...

I bet as soon as they got out of my earshot they were playing whatever they wanted...

I thought the words included the word "Douche" (Bohemian Rhapsody)..I was disgusted ..

Now I really like the song...

They are getting paid back though..you should listen to what THEIR kids listen to....

I remember one time we took the kids to their school picnic at a amusement park..they were riding the tilt a whirl and they were playing "Magic Carpet Ride"..the sister I was with was flabbergasted but..I loved the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyM4HibS12M

Snoozy..

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hotel Califonia was supposed to be a bad song.

Anything by SNAP (Satans' New Approved Prince/Princess)

Anything by Kiss (knights in satans' service)

Any heavy metail

any songs that contains the word sex - like "I wanna sex you up.....all night...." or "lets' talk about sex baby, let's talk about you and me"

Any music that made you want to move your hips in a seductive manner was a big no no!

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Well I couldn't edit my post..too late to change Utube link so here is right one...

Snoozy...

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyM4HibS12M

• four candles
    four candles

They were very big on 'debasing' music in the 70's when I was growing up. I was made to get rid of a load of LP's which were supposedly bad,but like many others I have replaced them all,either on vinyl or CD.

I can remember 'Cat Scratch Fever' by ted Nugent being mentioned at an assembly,which was one of the ones we were listening to at the time. Still got it!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They told me that Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Blue Oyster Cult, Simon & Garfunkel, Van Halen, and Journey had to go. That was because my "teacher" did not like any of those artists.

Later, they wanted me to throw away all Michael Jackson records, that I had already paid for. Like further playing his music was supporting "that apostate"--after the records were bought. They also wanted Culture Club thrown away because Boy George does horse (like I am going to take horse just by listening to their music). In fact, just about everything that had even the mildest sexual innuendo was "bad".

Part of it was "stumbling others". I had a song Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting since it was out in August 1973, and that was a big favorite through college (where alcohol was freely available). I did not get into trouble with that song, but they told me that, after all that time, I would get into a drunken brawl just by listening to it. Upon telling them that I listened to it heavily through college without a drunken brawl, they told me that I still had to throw it away because someone else might think it's OK, listen to it, and get into a fight at the bar. (Well, that's their problem.)

• dinah
    dinah

I remember them getting all upset about "Hotel California" when it came out. The funny thing is now that we are adults and out of the borg.....that song really seems to be about Them (at least it seems that way to me). Same thing with Stairway to Heaven, I remember an Awake article on back-masking or whatever they called it.

There was a part in a DC back in the 80's about "Music that Debases" I can't remember everything they mentioned, but I had most of it at home. None of my stuff ever got thrown away.

Ozzie scared the crap outta them. You go Ozzie!!

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

What about the "Saturday Night Fever" album? I got called to the 'cold room' cause of it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit