Was there any particular song or music u were not allowed to listen to because it was inappropriate or it was deemed demonized?

by jetery 39 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

I remember an Awake article on Saturday Night Fever too. But Mom loved the soundtrack, so it was a keeper. Looking back I can't believe I actually listened to that album (hangs head in shame).

• Dune
    Dune

The exact opposite happened to people in my area.

The 'territory' we were in was predominantly black and urban. So Heavy & Death Metal weren't problems, cause no one was listening to that. We were just being constantly reminded not to listen to any hip hop (which was stupid because there is some REALLY good hip hop out there) and some R&B.

I didnt even 'discover' music until i was 14 (we had just gotten cable, and MTV was still actually playing music). It's kind of funny because i think i speak the way i do because Hip Hop / Urban culture wasn't tolerated in the congregations i was in. So even though i went to school with people who spoke in ebonics and what not, i always used 'standard english' and was made fun of cause of it.

I don't listen to the crappy, misogynistic and nihilistic Hip hop that they're putting out now, but some artists i do listen to are Common, Kanye, Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def and Wu Tang.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Anything by Micheal Jackson was totally forbidden. However, Janet was ok. Apparently she wasn't disfellowshipped (?)

Wasn't allowed watch Dirty Dancing coz of the title.

Our very conservative PO's daughter was a HUGE madonna fan although she thought saying "Flip" was a swear word! I kid you not!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember both KISS and the song Mr Crowley by Ozzy Osborne being mentioned specifically during talks.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thankfully, by the time the worst criticism of records came in, I was grown up and married , and my wife was just as liberal as me. So we just kept quiet about our music.

I was an elder. I avoided ever having to do an assignment that criticised rock music. I made it no secret, our friends knew what I listened to, but I got away with it.

I once had to plan a hasty visit to relative one Sunday when I was asked to conduct a WT study that was about "debasing music"

Looking back...WE MUST HAVE BEEN MAD ! I knew that the WT was just just picking things up from fundy "Bible Belt" sources , but I just believed that God allowed a "margin of latitude" for human reasoning, and kept going in my faith....

• jws
    jws

I first took interest in music in the mid 70's.

Disco was getting big and that was all forbidden. We had talks about the primitive beats leading to fornication. Nowadays I hear they play that stuff at JW weddings and elders are dancing to it. A lot of the "banned" music of today will become the stuff they see as harmless years from now when it becomes nostalgic. Just like Elvis used to be taboo.

My mother bought the AC/DC Dirty Deeds album for my brother (his first LP). I don't know what she was thinking. "Dirty Deeds"? That could have a couple of meanings, neither something a JW would approve of for her son of about 12 years old. Anyone familiar with the album will know what's on it. We played that album real quietly.

My parents pretty much let us buy whatever we wanted. Having a brother-in-law elder who had his own garage band and raved about rock probably helped. Once they got a little iffy about our Led Zeppelin when the backwards masking stuff came out. But we also policed ourselves. At the time, I bought into the scare and stayed away from the bands that went for the Satanic image - or at least the ones I hadn't already accepted. I was afraid of Black Sabbath, Dio, etc.

A few years after I had moved out, I still had a lot of stuff at my parents house, including my old LPs. My sister and brother-in-law (not the one who loved rock) were visiting from out of state. He found my LPs and put them all in the garage. He said something to the effect of feeling "evil" in the house and that it went away after he moved the records.

No matter what my parents allowed, the hall was a different matter. KISS was evil. They supposedly drank blood on stage (instead of pouring it out on the groud) and KISS was supposed to stand for Knights In Satans Service, not to mention their "demonic" facepaint and outfits. And people talked about backwards masking. Rap wasn't too big at our hall (going to a congregation that wasn't very urban) and I don't remember too much talk against it.

I know your all on rock music but the thing that gets me is a JW isn't suppose to listen to any Christian music, Just a Closer Walk with Thee, Amazing Grace. What may I ask is wrong with those songs? They come from False Religions? Nothing is more boring then the KH song book.

I don't know about that. I've seen old hymn books that are every bit as nauseating as Kingdom Melodies are. And I can't take more than a minute of contemporary Christian music. It's so bland an unoriginal. Never any sort of edge to it. Now take gospel singers or blues singers doing religious, it's got something to it.

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

I can remember when becoming a dub in 1974 there were articles in Awake about Janis and Jimi. They were a real no no. I went crazy one day and went through all of mine and hubby's albums. There were so many but I not only threw them away but scratched them with a metal pen to ruin them. I didn't want to pass anything bad on to my neighbors. What an ass I was! Some of his albums were imports from the UK that you couldn't even get here in the states. I threw away the Traffic album that had "John Barley Corn Must Die" on it because if they said he should die that had to be bad. I am an idiot! Didn't know it was about making whiskey. Oh the things we do to keep from being attacked by satan, huh?

Kit

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Anyone remember the comand from Brooklyn circa 1980, that we dispose of any demonic records?

A friend of mine threw out his beloved Black Sabath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and other albums with pagan or mythical symbols.

He was pretty upset on finding out I was keeping mine. Even though I was dub to the max I was suspicous of Orwellian book burning type tactics.

Young People Ask: Is Ozzie Osborn really the devil incarnate or just boring as bat sh*t?

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I remember something about Nirvana, and one of the lyrics talking about a well, and how that was linked to Satanism.

I guilted myself into getting rid of quite a few cassettes after I got baptized.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Why my friend Udo threw out his imaculate vinyl ..

Scary demonic symbols or figments of a Bethelites wet dream?:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit