Notice the major u-turn in the March study WT???

by Amha·’aret 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Was it 1925 when they switched the presence from 1874 to 1914? I thought it was even later than that.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Great Catch

• Farkel
    Farkel

Primate Dave,

: recall reading a Golden Age from 1925 (PDF) that stated that the last days had begun in 1899.

No, it was 1799! The WTS taught 1799 was the beginning of the last days until around 1930.

Farkel

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Was it 1925 when they switched the presence from 1874 to 1914? I thought it was even later than that.

Good point. Yes it was. But I think they switched the 1878 installation as king thing (kingdom power) to 1914 about that time.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Puleeaase.....any dates quoted by the Watchtower society are attached to wishful thinking.....they have certainly proved that over and over again for over 100 plus years. Are any of the "great" old "Faithful and Descreet " still alive denying the actual new remnant that grows larger every day in their ivory tower?

God this religion makes me sick.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Slim,

In the Society published book "Prophecy" by J.F. Rutherford, 1929, p. 65, the Society still proclaimed Jesus 2nd Presence (Coming) in 1874. It was not until the 1930s that the date was changed to 1914.

Jim W.

• JeffT
    JeffT

They also taught that Jesus second presence began in 1874 or 1879. 1914 was to be the END not the beginning. I suspect that 1925 was the year they started saying something close to what they're saying now.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Here is the way a JW put it to me recently. He said the Bible Students knew SOMETHING momentous would happen. They were wrong about what happened, but after all, they're only imperfect humans!

Isaac

• cabasilas
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Okay I have had a quick look through secondary sources and this is what I could find from Jonssons's The Gentile Times Reconsidered:

As of 1929 the Watch Tower Society still taught that "the second presence of the Lord Jesus Christ began in 1874 A.D." (Prophecy, Brooklyn, N.Y.: International Bible Students Association, 1929, p. 65.) The exact date for the transference of the second coming from 1874 to 1914 is difficult to pinpoint. For some time confusing statements may be found in the publications. Perhaps the first indication of a change is the statement in The Golden Age of April 30, 1930, page 503, that "Jesus has been present since the year 1914." However, The Watch Tower of October 15, 1930, somewhat vaguely states on page 309 that "the second coming occured (sic) in 1914. And in 1932 the booklet What is Truth clearly states on page 48: "The prophecy of the Bible, fully supported by the physical facts in fulfillment thereof, shows that the second coming of Christ dates from the fall of the year 1914." Carl Olof Jonsson, The Gentile Time Reconsidered (4th 2004), page 58, note 84.

So unless the WT writer can produce evidence the Society were saying Jesus' presence began in 1914 as early as 1925 I am disinclined to believe the claim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit