Notice the major u-turn in the March study WT???

by Amha·’aret 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• still_in74
    still_in74

September 1, 1985 WT, p. 23:

From 1876 onward, Jehovah’s people served notice upon the world, and particularly upon Christendom, that the Gentile Times would end in the fall of 1914. (Luke 21:24, KingJamesVersion) The clergy could not ignore this preliminary work of almost 40 years—a work corresponding to that of John the Baptizer. Those clergymen waited eagerly to pounce upon this journal’s editor should 1914 pass without any outstanding events to correspond with those about which he warned. But, oh, how they were silenced when on July 28, 1914, peace was shattered by the outbreak of World War I!

Light, Book One, p. 194 (published in 1930):

The Watch Tower , and its companion publications of the Society, for forty years emphasized the fact that 1914 would witness the establishment of God's kingdom and the complete glorification of the church. During that period of forty years God's people on earth were carrying on a witness work, which work was foreshadowed by Elijah and John the Baptist. All of the Lord's people looked forward to 1914 with joyful expectation. When that time came and passed there was much disappointment, chagrin and mourning, and the Lord's people were greatly in reproach. They were ridiculed by the clergy and their allies in particular, and pointed to with scorn, because they had said so much about 1914, and what would come to pass, and their 'prophecies' had not been fulfilled.

Quote from Light can be found here:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/light1/light1_6.html

Rutherford said they had been ridiculed because their prophecies for 1914 "had not been fulfilled." Later Watchtower publications have tended to say the exact opposite

fantastic find..... fantastic thread!

the truth is whatever the WTS needs it to be in relation to the necessity of the time

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

What date is this due to be studied in the congregations.? I have not got my copy of the WT yet. Looking forward to Blondie's review of it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No matter the truth of the matter, brain-starved and washed Jw's will swallow this information hook line and sinker.

The real question that should be asked is: Why are they saying this? There is always a reason.

Jdubs don't care about history, as they see it change in the pages of these magazines all the time. They just throw out the old and replace it neatly with the new. In six months they won't even recall when it changed, or if it changed at all.

Watch the bait if you want to see the switch.

Jeff

• compound complex
    compound complex

I'm sorry that I cannot give proper attribution of the quotations below to the original poster (I've forgotten). Note, however, the pinpointing of the year 1943, in The Watchtower, 8/15/74:

*** God's Kingdom of A Thousand Years chap. 11 pp. 187-188 par. 7 "Here Is the Bridegroom!" ***

Due to this fact, when Charles T. Russell began publishing his own religious magazine in July of 1879, he published it under the title "Zion’s Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence." He had already become familiar with Wilson’s TheEmphaticDiaglott, which translated the Greek word pa·rou·si´a as "presence," not "coming," in Matthew 24:3 and elsewhere. The new magazine was heralding Christ’s invisible presence as having begun in 1874. This presence was to continue until the end of the Gentile Times in 1914, when the Gentile nations would be destroyed and the remnant of the "chaste virgin" class would be glorified with their bridegroom in heaven by death and resurrection to life in the spirit.

*** w74 8/15 p. 507 No Spiritual "Energy Crisis" for Discreet Ones ***

In 1943 the Watch Tower Society’s book "TheTruthShallMakeYouFree" did away with the nonexistent extra 100 years in the period of the Judges and placed the end of 6,000 years of man’s existence in the 1970’s. It also fixed the beginning of Christ’s presence, not in 1874, but in 1914 C.E.

• lrkr
    lrkr

This is the Society trying to get in front of this one. Someone now realizes that the history of the Society's beliefs on 1914 is out there for anyone to find. By publishing it themselves- they can blunt the impact. Similar to publishing pictures Bethel's Christmas party in the Proclaimers book so that when someone saw them in Crisis of Conscience there would not be as much impact

• yknot
    yknot

Okay not to be the wet noodle here but they are not saying ""PRESENCE"" but...

evidence that Christ's presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914.

Which in FACT they did say in the Feb 1, 1925 Watch Tower on the bottom of page 37 and top of page 38. Here again is the quote :

****Feb 1, 1925 Watch Tower, pages 37/38 para. 38, " Robes of Righteousness" ****

’The Lord returned prior to 1914. In 1914 he received his kingdom and began his reign. In 1918 he came to his temple; that is to say, began the special reckoning with the temple class.

http://www.4shared.com/file/63812051/d73736ea/1925.html , if you wanna download the 1925 WTs.

Yes the WTS once again preys on the gullibility of it's members......a classic WTS half truth . In 1925 the IBSA believed that Jesus' presences started in 1874, but he didn't receive his kingdom or begin to reign until 1914.

I at this time can only guess at what Jesus was doing between his PRESENCE and his REIGN.......checkers maybe with Satan before the big battle and tossing him to earth?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

ya know... I used to eat this chronology stuff up... studied it a lot... after going through the chronology unit in MTS (Ministerial Traning School...aka Value Destroying School as Wiz says)... I found waaay too many discrepencies.... had to bury my additional doubts a few more years before walking away. The generation issue bugged me before they made the major change in 95. I didnt know why then, but I do now.

now... i have a hard time reading this drivel. I appreciate the smart people on this forum digesting it for me... it gives me a headache otherwise.

Snakes ()

• compound complex
    compound complex

Nineteen Hundred Forty-Three

In 1943 the Watch Tower Society’s book TheTruthShallMakeYouFree ...
    fixed the beginning of Christ’s presence, not in 1874, but in 1914 C.E.

• bob1999
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

yknot beat me to it. The wording is very sneaky. What was new in 1925 was not that "Christ's presence began in 1914" (which is how most readers would understand it) but that "Christ's presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914". The whole point of the 1 March 1925 Watchtower article was that 1914 was when the heavenly Kingdom began to function as a "new government" for the earth, displacing the "Devil's organization" which heretofore has held sway. In 1925 it was still accepted that Christ began to be present in 1874. The wording is misleading in implying that in 1925 there was a change in understanding when Christ began to be present.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit