A suggestion to slow down the JW's door-to-door activities

by Melody Blankenship 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• rebel8
    rebel8

In a nutshell, I've spent a huge amount of time researching and dealing with this.

What I found out is you can put a "No Trespassing" sign on your property and write a registered letter to the kh to document your requests for them to not visit. This will probably work in some cases, especially if you include a copy of the wts letter to US congregations ordering them to not visit places that have these signs.

I've been told in my state this is not enough--trespassing is legal for a valid purpose, such as Girl Scouts, mail delivery, jws, etc. Also it is not legally sufficient to write a letter to a group of people banning them from your property; you must notify them as individuals.

So if Elder #1 visits you, you must tell him he is banned from your property, and write down the date you told him. When he violates your demand, you restate your demand and document it again. On about his 3rd (or more) visit, you tell him he is now under citizen's arrest and he must stay in your yard to wait for the police. Call 911 and tell the police you need them to come and complete the arrest. Then you must follow through with all the paperwork the police direct you to do and prosecution procedures.

You should not touch or physically restrain the person. If he leaves while you're waiting for the police, he is now additionally guilty of resisting arrest.

Your state may have additional laws you can tap into for this issue.

A newspaper ad may be handy for getting others to follow your lead, but it will not protect you from trespassing jws as far as I know.

You can check my previous post history for more info.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I like the Witnesses to visit. Sort of like the cat inviting a mouse over for lunch.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I'll just let them waste their time and gas trying to contact me. All they are getting from me is a locked door (with Christmas decorations), and a nice waste of the time it took to reach me only to not get in. Phone calls will just waste the time it took to dial the number (and, if from a cell phone, the minute or so of time it takes out of their allotment). And letters are a nice waste of postage and time, getting fed directly to my shredder.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to weigh in with those who would prefer to talk to them and tie up their time - trouble is that the local congo never calls on us..

Re the "Do Not Calls" , how effective are they?. When leading service groups I know that I was not always on the ball about telling them which ones to miss., even if notified of the calls to avoid , it was very easy to forget untill "Oops! you had knocked , and footsteps were approaching ..." too late to run...

I say come and talk to me, I would like to try my new knowledge against their learned presentations.....Please..

• Simon
    Simon

We've had witnesses call here a few times and I'm always honest and polite ... last time I told them I was brought up as a JW and remembered "doing that" (going door to door) as well and said no to the offer of a WatchTower with a jokey 'it would bring back bad memories of boring Sunday mornings' comment.

I think being polite and talking to them, showing that you can leave and be normal and not some 'vile opposer' is the most effective thing for an ex-member to do although I can understand non members wanting to stop them calling.

They never call that often here (2 or 3 times in 2 years)

• esiouil
    esiouil

If the churches were to go out and tell the world about this then perhaps it would give the wittnesses a break Imet quite a few and they all mean well even about tranfussions they we are not here to stop you they deop want the world to be at peace so if they knock its just gods point of view if you think every thing in the world just happend its up to you there is orderin the world you put a seed in fertile ground it grows into what ever it is programed to do likr me writting this .

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I always thought that a good way to slow it down, would be to print out a list of 'real' information about Witnesses. Not doctrinal stuff but things that the average homeowner wouldn't be told by them...things people relate to like not going to college, not dating, not marrying outside, the shunning, the blood, the hours - a one page list of things NOT allowed.

Take the list and follow them out on their Sat morning door to door. They knock..leave something there...you follow up that knock and hand out your paperwork. Call yourself the AJWC..anti jehovahs witness compaign...your own church.

No need to be slanderous - just first hand facts of a religion/cult you used to belong to. That defuses any callbacks and might encourage outsiders to really investigate what the society is really about and the damage being done.

sammieswife.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Move to a new housing develpment. I've been here five years now and have had one visit at my door, one tract placed on my door, and have seen a few jws in the neighborhood once or twice (those time they didn't come to my door ).

• jws
    jws

I haven't gotten bothered by them much. But how would a "do not call" letter slow them down? Now they don't have to knock on the door of somebody who they can never convert anyway and it frees them up to hit more of the people who may convert. It seems it would make their work more efficient.

I say talk to them. Keep that car full of other publishers waiting for an hour or two and prevent them from being able to leave to move on to other territories.

I think it's always great to talk to them like Quotes does. Don't play your hand and let them know you're ex-JW (unless they all know you and it can't be helped). Let them think you're an average Joe and they'll be much more hopeful about converting you and talk to you for much longer. Sure it takes up your time, but it also wastes theirs! Before telephone "do not call" lists, I did the same thing with telemarketers.

I too like to leave them with questions they will think about. To this day, I remember somebody that my brother and I ran into (as young teenagers) who asked all kinds of questions and pointed to different publications. What he was saying shocked me. But I looked up the publications and found what he said to be true. Somehow I rationalized it as "old truth", but it still left me somewhat less sure than before. Sure, he was specifically anti-JW and most JWs might leave earlier than we did. But there's other ways to raise doubts. Listen to their theories and poke holes in them. Not with specific doctrinal knowledge of JWs. But with just common sense and knowing what you might know about the Bible or life.

For example, when they try to hook you in with the promise of a paradise earth, tell them you'd much rather go to Heaven. Kind of deflates the whole sales pitch right there.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I would suggest never under any circumstances putting your name and address in a public document. Who knows what kind of loon is going to read it and come and visit you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit