Florida woman fired for saying Merry Christmas instead of Happy holidays!

by Witness 007 51 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

"Oy Vey, It's Christmas" HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

• JeffT
    JeffT

A while back there was a case involving a police officer (I believe from NYC) who was tossed off the force after speaking publicly about an issue, when department rules required that he not say anything. He filed suit based on his free speech rights. The firing was upheld. One of the Justices pointed out that he had a constitutional right to free speech, but he did not have a constitutional right to be a policeman.

I think the same principal applies here. This woman can say what she wants, but she doesn't have a right to a job.

Her employer, however, might want to consider the fact that all of us have a right to shop someplace else.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Neon, your arguments are fantasy.

Well, thanks for the detailed refutation, then. I guess my arguments must be fantasy, because you say they are...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I believe that my company prefers that we greet others with 'Happy Holidays', but the policy has never been forced on me.

I do think that common sense must be employed here - a jew with a skullcap, a muslim with a turban, those who obviously do not share the Christian tradition are obvious. But in general, we don't know who does or doesn't do the holiday - so in a Christian area, those people are just wearing their feelings on the sleeve and trying to make an issue where there is none.

Jeff

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I guess my arguments must be fantasy, because you say they are...

Well good, at least you get it :-)

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Well good, at least you get it :-)

Of course I do. I have years of experience with an organization that expected me to believe everything it said, just because it said so.

• loosie
    loosie

how about this scenario?

Say that the area you lived in was mostly pagan. I don't mean that there are any animals or virgins sacrificed. Just people who don't believe in an almighty being in charge of everything. Say that their were a small pocket of christians in this are who did celebrate the traditional christmas. So all the shop keepers and cashiers in this area had the habit of saying " happy winter solstice".

How bent outta shape would the always right Christians be?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    What is politically correct since some religions don't have christmas?

The most politically correct saying that you will hear is "Season's Greetings."

The season is winter, and you are basically saying, "Here is your winter greeting."
    It is not at all offensive, although some people will get offended by anything (like JW's).

Otherwise, try "Happy Kwaanzahkuh or Ramadan new year to you and yours, unless
    you are Chinese or Atheist, then 'good day.'

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I'm a solstice kind of a guy, so I have all the sectarian folks trumped since any objective observer can note the relative position of the sun. No group "owns" the solsice, and it can not be denied or taken away.

• PEC
    PEC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit