Florida woman fired for saying Merry Christmas instead of Happy holidays!

by Witness 007 51 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I'll see you all in jail.

At least we'll be able to say "Merry Christmas" there. We may miss out on an early parole though.

W

• hubert
    hubert
    Foxnews reports that a Florida woman was fired for refusing to say: "Happy holidays" she insisted that as a christian she use the term christmas.

She should sue !!!

Hubert

• DT
    DT
    Foxnews reports that a Florida woman was fired for refusing to say: "Happy holidays" she insisted that as a christian she use the term christmas.

I'm not sure what actually happened, based on this brief description. I think it is ok for an employer to ask their workers to not use religious expressions when interacting with the public. I don't believe it would be ok to require the use of any religious expressions, including Happy Holidays (keeping in mind that a holiday or holy day is generally related to religion). It sounds like the employer was allowing or requiring one expression while forbidding another. That sounds discriminatory to me.

Although I'm not a theist and I don't have much enthusiasm for Christmas, I still prefer Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays. Christmas has become very secularized, but Happy Holidays seems like a minor insult towards those who don't view any day as holy.

I like Seasons Greetings. It makes no reference to a particular religion and appeals to both the wonders of winter and the promise it will someday end (based on the winter solstice and the start of increasing daylight).

• Mary
    Mary
    I'm sure Muslims in the Middle east don't say "happy holidays" during Ramadan or some other festival...but saying Merry christmas to a Muslim, hindu or Jew is sort of silly...aren't we supposed to show the world what tolerance looks like?

Yes but not every Jew wears a cap and not every Muslim practices Islam, so you can't really tell all the time who has what background. If I were living in Tehran and was shopping and someone wished me a 'Happy Ramadan' (or whatever they say), I wouldn't get offended---I'm in their country and that's their holiday. It shouldn't be a huge deal and it never used to be around here until fairly recently when all the bleeding hearts decided they didn't want to "offend" someone who (gasp!) might not be Christians or celebrate Christmas!!

• ferret
    ferret

I agree with Mary we do not need others telling us how to worship.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ON JWD.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

You should be able to say what you want. It's absolvely pathetic. She should fight it, should get fired for something that's got nothing to with her job.

• blondie
    blondie

I work in a government area. I notice that everyone is careful to decorate with secular themes, snowflakes, snowmen, etc, but no creches. I have seen businesses insist that jws use greetings on the job that conflict with their personal beliefs and have been fired as well. It seems that it was pretty extreme to fire her. I wonder though if employees had been cautioned previously not to use "merry christmas"?

• Robdar
    Robdar

It seems to me that wishing a Jew a Merry Christmas is just a waste of your breath.

Jews celebrate the season but it is called Hannukah, a celebration of lights and the victory of the Maccabees. And since most Jews dont go around wearing little "skull caps" to identify themselves, "happy holidays" or "seasons greetings" should be the accepted greeting. To say any thing else is to imply that only Christians and their holiday matter.

BTW, political correctness has nothing to do with my response. I think it comes down to good manners and an understanding that not everybody is like everybody else--nor should they be expected to be.

I always greet the public with "happy holidays" to respect diversity. I greet my Christian friends with "Merry Christmas."

• Robdar
    Robdar

BTW, it appears the Florida woman wasn't fired for saying Merry Christmas, she was fired for not following company policy. If she doesn't follow policy and prefers to be a maverick, let her face the consequences. Just don't confuse her with a martyr to political correctness.

Foxnews reports that a Florida woman was fired for refusing to say: "Happy holidays" she insisted that as a christian she use the term christmas. I have found others with the same view. Though one Witness sister was fired from a Smallgoods company for refusing to say "Merry Christmas." What is politically correct since some religions don't have christmas?
  • Fadeout
    Fadeout

"Happy Holidays" is incredibly insensitive and insulting to me, since I don't celebrate any holidays. How dare you show such intolerance and hatred!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit