I can't believe what I did.

by reneeisorym 88 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

The last time I went to Walmart was in March of this year. There was a woman who had her kids out selling candy bars for money. No, not for an organization, just for money. It was around 9 at night and my son had already been in bed for an hour.

These dirty little rag-a-muffins should have been doing homework and getting a bath. Instead mom was pimping them out.

I stopped and spoke directly to the children. I asked them if they had done their homework, they said no. I just kept walking and went inside the store. I was moved to buy each of them a toy...it was two little boys and a little girl. I took it back out to them and gave each of them their toy and told them how important it was to do homework and to get good grades in school, I then gave mom a lecture about if she was going to have them out here doing that shit the least she could do is bring their homework with them! Told her she needed to get them home and in the bathtub and in bed.

She was so happy for her kids, she made sure they each said thank you about a million times.....they left after that.

So to answer your question, I am frequently moved to commit kindness to complete strangers and no I do not think it makes you crazy.

• mouthy
    mouthy

There is more happiness in giving than recieving.. !!!! that was a very nice gesture.She will tell all her friends & they will feel that the SPIRIT is still with this Earth....
    My friend told me yesterday she saw a very dirty raggedly dressed man walking on the street, really shabby, she felt so sorry so she handed him a 5 $ bill & said" go have a hot coffee- "He handed it back & said NO thanks......OOPS!!!

• Emma
    Emma

You're not crazy; it was awesome! I like what you did better than what I do sometimes. When I'm in a coffee shop and have paid for my coffee, I'll hand the cashier a five and tell them to let the next customer know their drink is paid for but they can't let them know it was me. The cashier is always delighted and so is the customer. I don't usually get to see who receives the benefit but that's not the point. I do this most often when I'm feeling down and it picks me up.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Renee, what you did was a wondrous thing.

For Vinny, The Great Moralizer, from The Message Bible:

Matthew 7
    A Simple Guide for Behavior

1 -5 "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.

Sylvia

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    That was a nice thing to do. Though by posting your good deed here publicly for all to read and talk about it, it loses something.

Matthew 6:2 "So whenever you give to the poor, don't blow a trumpet before you like the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets so that they will be praised by people. I tell you with certainty, they have their full reward!"
    Quoting myself:

I don't want to talk to anyone in my real life about it because the whole idea is for it to be a "secret". I'm not doing too good at that part apparently.

Someone tell me I'm not loosing my mind. I feel like I need to be committed.

I know you meant to be helpful. I figure you didn't really read the post, or at least don't understand me at all. I tried really hard not to tell anyone about it. This one gesture was giving me a nervous breakdown. I needed encouragement and I didn't feel like I could tell my friends in real life about it or I would be bragging. No one but my husband knows about it aside from this board. I'm not trying to "blow a trumpet ahead of me in the synagogues and streets". No one at church knows about this and neither do my friends in real life. I felt like here on this forum I can get the opinion of people honestly and anonomously.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Emma, that's an awesome idea!

You are an inspiration! Much cheaper than $100 too!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Matthew 7
    A Simple Guide for Behavior

1 -5 "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.

Love it Syliva.

Josie

• snowbird
    snowbird

Josie, I love The Message Bible.

Mr. Peterson keeps it real.

Sylvia

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You're not crazy Renee, you have a kind and good heart.

Kindly elf hands out $13,000 to LA's homeless

Associated Press - December 24, 2008 10:03 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A holiday tradition continues on Los Angeles' Skid Row.

The so-called "Eldorado Elf" has again handed out $10 bills to people at The Midnight Mission shelter, giving away an estimated total of about $13,000 yesterday. The elf calls it the highlight of his year.

The tradition started with car dealer Robert Moran, known as the Cadillac Santa, in the early 1980s. When Moran died in 1992, his friend and attorney took over. That person, known only as Bill, showed up in a Cadillac Eldorado -- and thus was born the Eldorado Elf.

The elf admits he's among those hit by the slumping economy, but argues things aren't nearly as bad for him as they are for the homeless.

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9575927

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

13,000?

Wow ....

It's really sad that JWs don't experience the joy you can get out of helping people. I never tried to help people when I was in. I thought it was better to preach to them. They are really missing out. It makes you feel so good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit