I can't believe what I did.

by reneeisorym 88 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Heh. You really made her day, and it only cost you $100. Hey, it's Christmas, an she probably needed it if she was having to go to a laundromat.

I was talking to my parents today and we came up with an idea: instead of everyone giving each other junk they don't really need, why not give the money in lieu of gifts to a charitable cause in the name of the giftee? Sounds good right? Imagine if a lot of us did this, especially with the billions we spend on useless trinkets.

Either way, good for you. Merry Christmas.

BTS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Here's the facts:

Rene did a kindness to a fellow human, good for her!

Charitable giving is a Christian requirement.

She practiced the Golden Rule.

It is a fact that every Christian is in a state, not of stagnancy, but of growth, endeavoring to be more like our master, Christ.

Each is on an individual path towards spiritual growth.

That is where the dispute on this thread originates.

In regards to this dispute:

Matthew 6:2 and Matthew 7:1-5 must neccesarily be read in context, they are not contradictory by any means.

Matthew 6:1-4 (in context):

1"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of people in order to be noticed by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2So whenever you give to the poor, don't blow a trumpet before you like the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets so that they will be praised by people. I tell you with certainty, they have their full reward! 3But when you give to the poor, don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be done in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

People's New Testament:

6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms. This is the first example. The wrong way, that of the hypocrites, is described. The Greek word rendered hypocrite means a theatrical actor, one who is not real, but acts a part. Their method was to give ostentatiously. In our age the world rings with the praises of the millionaire who gives a few thousands, but is silent concerning the humble ones who have taken from their necessities and given to the same cause.

Do not sound a trumpet before thee.

This seems to be a proverbial expression to denote the making of a thing publicly known. The meaning is,when you give to the poor, do not make a show of it.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

6:1-4 Our Lord next warned against hypocrisy and outward show in religious duties. What we do, must be done from an inward principle, that we may be approved of God, not that we may be praised of men. In these verses we are cautioned against hypocrisy in giving alms. Take heed of it. It is a subtle sin; and vain-glory creeps into what we do, before we are aware. But the duty is not the less necessary and excellent for being abused by hypocrites to serve their pride. The doom Christ passes, at first may seem a promise, but it is their reward; not the reward God promises to those who do good, but the reward hypocrites promise themselves, and a poor reward it is; they did it to be seen of men, and they are seen of men. When we take least notice of our good deeds ourselves, God takes most notice of them. He will reward thee; not as a master who gives his servant what he earns, and no more, but as a Father who gives abundantly to his son that serves him.

Matthew 7:1-5 (NIV):

1"Stop judging, so that you won't be judged, 2because the way that you judge others will be the way that you will be judged, and you will be evaluated by the standard with which you evaluate others. 3"Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? 4Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when the beam is in your own eye? 5You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

So, reading the above Scriptures and commentary clarifies the matter.

It is correct to give freely, it then behooves us to "not let our right hand know what our left is doing", not making the gift publicly known, not telling anyone, as God has seen our gifts of mercy, and will reward us without our telling anyone else about it.

I know that if you even tell ONE person of such an act, it will spread like wildfire, so better not to tell anyone.

After all, our heavenly Father sees what we do, and it strengthens our faith when we allow Him to reward us for our faith, rather that seeking the rewards of other human's praise.

That is the point to be made of the Scriptures being quoted thus far on this thread.

BA- Clarifying.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    That was a nice thing to do. Though by posting your good deed here publicly for all to read and talk about it, it loses something.

Matthew 6:2 "So whenever you give to the poor, don't blow a trumpet before you like the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets so that they will be praised by people. I tell you with certainty, they have their full reward!"

Vinny, put a sock in it dude. She probably doesn't know anyone here in real life, and she probably is inspiring some of us to listen to our hearts when there are good thing in them and shut down our brains for a little.

BTS

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

BA, it was the attitude I was getting about it that hurt my feelings. It's a valid point. Thanks for stating the point politely and helpfully rather than criticizing me.

I feel like a time when I was needing support, I get flamed. I keep running through my head things like "But when I _______ and when I __________no one ever found out about it. It's not like I go around bragging about myself all the time."

I was seriously concerned that I was being a poor steward of the money God had given me when I started this post. You all have given me a lot to think about and encouraged me. I thank you.

I honestly have tears in my eyes and feel wrongly accused. I may not come back to this board.

You guys are welcome to lock the thread.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    Vinny, put a sock in it dude. She probably doesn't know anyone here in real life, and she probably is inspiring some of us to listen to our hearts when there are good thing in them and shut down our brains for a little.

Vinny quoted a Scripture that clearly means what it says.

However, we all make mistakes, even when we have the best intentions.

All can grow as Christians if they realize that charitable giving is a Christian requirement, as is keeping your deeds of charitable giving to yourself.

That is the Scriptural dictate.

BA- Clarifying further.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

BA, it was the attitude I was getting about it that hurt my feelings. It's a valid point. Thanks for stating the point politely and helpfully rather than criticizing me.

I feel like a time when I was needing support, I get flamed. I keep running through my head things like "But when I _______ and when I __________no one ever found out about it. It's not like I go around bragging about myself all the time."

I was seriously concerned that I was being a poor steward of the money God had given me when I started this post. You all have given me a lot to think about and encouraged me. I thank you.

I honestly have tears in my eyes and feel wrongly accused. I may not come back to this board.

Aww,

Don't do that!

Look, we are all growing.

I made a similar mistake at one point and that is how I learned, too!

You did a very, very, kind thing!

Continue giving, along with what you have learned.

God Bless!

BA- Please don't let your continued Spiritual development be a cause for anything but joy!

• Vinny
    Vinny

Thanks BA. I agree with you.

I had written a reply for the Matthew 7 (and snowbird who cannot see the irony in her own comment), but just deleted it because it was going to turn this thread into something I do not want for Rene.

What Renee did was good!!! I have stated this many times now as well as have many others.

Nothing will change that. But what secret santas does and Jesus himself says should not be forgotten either.

In times past I have done good things and eventually bragged about them. (JW's do this on stage all the time at assemblies and meetings). And for some reason it always lost something for me after telling others about my good deed.

It is when doing something generous and nobody knows accept God Himself that I feel something even better.

That is all I wanted to get across in my initial post. But it seems some cannot accept even that.

Fair enough then. At least I shared it and that's enough for me.

It was still a very nice thing Renee did. Nothing can change that!

Thanks again.

Vinny

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ever see the movie Pay it Forward? You can do the smallest thing for someone, out of kindness and it will come back to you 100 fold.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Rene this was my initial comment: (from page 2)

"That was a nice thing to do. Though by posting your good deed here publicly for all to read and talk about it, it loses something.

Matthew 6:2 "So whenever you give to the poor, don't blow a trumpet before you like the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets so that they will be praised by people. I tell you with certainty, they have their full reward!"

I am sure you get the point I was making. I have always liked your posts and believe you are a very sweet and caring person.

What you did was a wonderful thing as well. Nothing changes that.

My best to you and yours Renee!

Vinny

• Vinny
    Vinny

BTS says:.."Vinny, put a sock in it dude."

**** Okay. Not for you though BTS, but because Renee is a very sweet and caring person, IMO. I've always liked her posts here.

You on the other hand....

: )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit