I can't believe what I did.

by reneeisorym 88 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Renee: You're beautiful!

I really liked this:

It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part.

This describes JWs perfectly. As dubs we were infected with that road-show spirit, totally occupied with being holier-than-thou.

When we finally break free and start to show real love to strangers, we don't know how to feel about it.

• halcyon
    halcyon

As JWs we felt it was our "duty" to point out how others could do better.

I retch at the thought, now. Renee, there's nothing crazy about what you did. You have that feeling inside you because it's so different from how others act ... suppose you had cut her off in the parking lot, would you feel crazy inside? No, because that's such common behavior. Generosity is not so uncommon, It's just the Protestant ethic to keep one's good deeds to oneself. Gotta stay humble at all costs, y'know! So that's why the world seems so bad, because we trumpet all the bad deeds but keep the good deeds silent.

• caliber
    caliber
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver." - Proverbs 25:11

I think we to well to first reflect on this Bible verse before we seek to "preach " some other Bible principle

To seek the greater good in the situation ... our left not knowing what the right is doing simply IMO saying that IF our prime motive is to seek praise then there could be a problem.. but I think these are questions to ask YOURSELF

For, dear brothers, you have been given freedom: not freedom to do wrong, but freedom to love and serve each other. For the whole Law can be summed up in this one command: “Love others as you love yourself.” But if instead of showing love among yourselves you are always critical and catty, watch out! Beware of ruining each other. Galatians 5: 13-15 TLB
    Cal
  • ninja
    ninja

I got arrested for doing such a charitable act.....I saw a lady with a short skirt looking harassed on a street corner and gave her 100 pounds....next minute the cops took me down the station.....well that's my story and I'm sticking to it....muhahahahahahahahaha....ha.....p.s...this event may not have happened....ninja

• halcyon
    halcyon

for heaven's sake ... I can just hear what the OP was thinking just before she did it ...

"Hmm. I heard this story about a good deed ... it makes me feel like doing the same thing ... There's a woman who looks like she could use $100 ... I have $100 ... naaah, I'm not going to do it. It's easier to just keep my money, heck I worked hard for it, why should I give it away to someone else when I don't even know how they'll spend it? Nobody is worthy enough to take MY money. I have to reserve judgement on how she'll use it, besides. What if she spends it wrongly? Gosh, no, I can't do it. ... Wait, no, but if I give this lady the $100, then think about all the people I can tell about what a good thing I did! And they will praise me, and laud me, and I will look SO good to all of them! Okay, I'll do it!"

Ya think?

NOT!

There's way too much judgment in this world.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

(((((((((((Renee: You're beautiful! ))))))))) Happy New Years, Hon!

I cant belive how some peoples kids act....

Ninja... ya could have "gave" less....

Hill

• caliber
    caliber

I would choose Renee as a true friend over many others on this thread~ Cal

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think Ren just wants to share her joy and excitement over helping someone. And I think this is great.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I think what you did was perfect, and sharing it may just be a good reminder for us all to be attentive to the needs of other. If you have it, share it!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit