Banned expressions= Pioneers abused me for saying "that sucks or peeved"!

by Witness 007 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• poppers
    poppers
    I wanted to but a "Dodge Demon"

Now that's just plain naughty! What's wrong with "far out"?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Okay this will really date me, but here it goes ....

My mom slapped my face for saying "That's heavy " ...worldly term as was groovy .

My Elder Uncle got all over me for saying " oh Man " all the time...

Couldn't say lucky had to say fortunate . Couldn't say "Bet you" because true Christians don't bet or gamble .(rolls eyes)

One sister from the south would have a royal fit if we said fart ,she said that was a cuss word from where she was from .I finally told her well you don't live there anymore and it's not a cuss word here !( get over it )

We had a pioneer sister pull us aside at the kingdom hall and tell us in a very serious manner "I just heard your son say Freaking, you know that means the same as the f-word "( oops )

My husband use to be the king of euphemism's such as :
    Oh Pickle ,(i think instead of oh sh*t , Jeminy Christmas instead of Jesus Christ ...always made our kids laugh . Good Grief was a biggie.

I on the other hand have always had a mouth that could make a sailor blush ....not something I am proud of I seriously tried not to swear, but it just comes naturally to me .My mom was a witness ,but my Dad was a career Marine Corp sargeant and I think it is required of them to swear in every sentence .

• poppers
    poppers
    my Dad was a career Marine Corp sargeant and I think it is required of them to swear in every sentence .

That's right. I know, I was a Marine too.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

This just in -- it's okay to use the substitute word Bleeping for Effing but only in a fit of frustration. Thank you, governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich.

Hey, it's all right to just go ahead and use Effing if you wish although it may not be as effective from the platform.

Len

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Couldn't say lucky had to say fortunate .

Yep, I remember that too, but the really f'ed up thing about that is fortunate means the same thing as lucky.

• crapola
    crapola

Whoops! I said my score sucks in my last post on the Christmas game. Shame on me!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

I had a sis (she has totally disowned me), who used to get really pissed off and say, 'oh fooey!!!' w a lot of emphasis.

crapola

It's ok, i mean, w a name like crapola, and all ;)

S

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    we are supposed to call it the INFORMATION BOARD - and why?! I have no idea

As I remember, we were told that "bulletin boards" were where the popes posted their papal bulls. Obviously, true Christians would want no part of that!!

Similar to what others have said, I was counseled once for saying that something "bugged" me, because apparently that meant that the thing that had been irritating me had somehow penetrated my anus.

Also, we couldn't refer to a mischievous child as an "imp," because that was a word that referred to a type of demon.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Don't feel bad I used to play my harmonica during field service in the car, they came down heavey on me till I told them to shut up and get off their high horse.

• undercover
    undercover
    i used to hear them getting after each other for using terms like that. They called them euphemisms. Said that, since they refer to swear words, they are as bad. That's why, even as a jw, i would only use the real swear words, if i swore. That is also why i think that people who say sugar or fudge, instead of the real words are just just being prissy. Use the real words, for fuck sake.

I heard a Public Talk on this...that's right...a Public Talk. It was so important that they couldn't make it part of the Ministry School or Service Meeting, but had to make it a full 45 minute discourse on the subject.

Of course, to be fair, the talk was about not imitating the world and there was a segment about bad language but the elder giving the talk - a stick-in-the-mud, ex-Bethelite who thought his shit didn't stink went off on a tangent about not using copy-cat words. He called them euphemisms. He went into the origins of words like "darn", "heck", "jeez" and even "crikey" and condemned them as every bit as bad as using real swear words.

I remember my usually straight-laced mother-in-law sarcastically said after that talk something to the effect of, "if we're not supposed to use the 'fake' words, well, shit, I'll just use the real ones".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit