What convinced you?

by heybaby 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

As far as doctrine is concerned, a simple reading of the Book of Galatians convinced me that JWs didn't know the first thing about Christianity. It was painfully obvious, after reading Galatians that the Watchtower's (1) salvation by works and (2) adherence to a WT Law that has replaced the Mosaic Law are unscriptural.

The other thing that convinced me, early on, was their explanation of the Other Sheep in John 10:16. Every single other Christian religion has seen the simply truth in this verse as referring to non-Jews. WT used this single verse to create a secondary (lesser, inferior) class of Christians. Unlike all examples of Christians in Scripture, these persons do not have a desire to be with Jesus Christ, nor are they born-again and spirit-anointed.

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: GaryB, you've mentioned this before. Please, please enlighten us.

Well, the year text is written as a part of the Yearbook. The Yearbook needs to be written, checked, proofed, set, printed, bound, inventoried, ordered, and shipped to be at the distribution points (Kingdom Halls) before January of the new year. The yeartext banners are ordered, manufactured, and shipped to Kingdom Halls before January of the new year.

In 1973, the drummers at assemblies were drumming 1975, the Watch Tower writers were writing 1975, the Kingdom Ministries were campaigning for 1975. The end is near! "Stay alive till '75!"

Early in the year 1973 the Society started paving the low road out of the 1975 campaign, so when the (1975) prediction failed (because they KNEW it was going to fail), they had a string of warning messages to spin into.

When I saw the yeartext for 1974, I knew we had been had.

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

After hearing about the 587 BCE date at a museum, I decided to understand why "we" say 607 BCE for Jerusalem's destruction.

Using only the Bible and "Insight" volumes it became clear that the 607 date was unfounded. At that moment, I knew the organization had no authority. Only after that did I search out other sources of information only to see how many others had "discovered" the same thing.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Early in the year 1973 the Society started paving the low road out of the 1975 campaign, so when the (1975) prediction failed (because they KNEW it was going to fail), they had a string of warning messages to spin into.

When I saw the yeartext for 1974, I knew we had been had.

So, they were saying even if those things they had predicted didn't come to pass, we should still exult in Jehovah?

GaryB, thank you so very much. I had no idea.

Sylvia

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yeartext for 1974
    "Although the fig tree itself may not blossom, ... I will exult in Jehovah himself." Hab. 3:17, 18.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Finding out that what I remembered about the hoopla over 1975 was true...by reviewing old bound volumes of the late 60's and early 70's.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was baptized in October of 1974, and I remember the KM of May 1974, but I didn't know about all the post-1966 prophesying.

Mercy on us!

Sylvia

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Reading the parable of the faithful and discreet slave in Matthew 24 and Luke 12, then researching the so-called appointment of the FDS in 1919 in the Society's publications did it for me.

I decided to put the burden of proof back on the Society. In other words, the Society should provide some proof that God selected it in 1919. In Bible times, when God worked through a man or organization, He always provided tangible proof. For example, when he used Moses, God gave him the power to turn sticks into snakes so that the Israelites would believe that he was really from God. Also, when Korah, Dathan, and Abiram rebelled, God made Aaron's staff sprout flowers to show that he was to be the high priest.

So, where is the proof that God selected the Watchtower Society? It simply doesn't exist. Then, when you factor in the false prophecies and flip-flops on doctrine it all begins to make sense. The Governing Body is just a group of men with no special channel of communication to God.

The Society is correct about some doctrinal matters, in my humble opinion. My primary "beef" with the Society is that they constantly "go beyond what is written" and have become a modern-day Pharisee class. This is not unusual. Throughout history, religious organizations have done the same thing. It's just another example of how the JWs are not as special or different as they think.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Some scriptures about the Deity of Christ did it for me such as Isaiah 9:6 Titus 2:13 and a few others, but it took a while for the accumulation of other things also. Then the UN thing and the child abuse cover ups and the lack of love I was seeing. Seeing the town of Greensburg Kansas being wiped off the map and very little if anything being done to help the victims by the organization(because there wasn't many witnesses affected). We had been to a circut assembly in Pratt Kansas that weekend and had just driven through Greensburg that afternoon The day the Tornado struck. We had no idea we would never see it the same way again. After the storm almost every other church in my town did something to help the victims. We did nothing. I would have much rather some of our donated funds have gone to helping the victims rather than paying to settle the child abuse suits. That's it folks! That was the final straw. seek2find

• abbagail
    abbagail

The "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" ad with the little girl's shoe that was at the top of these webpages in late 2001... It took me a LONG time to get the nerve to click on it... when I finally did, that was all it took...

All the doctrinal stuff I learned later. It was the pedos that cracked open the mental blinders so all the other info could come flooding in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit