What convinced you?

by heybaby 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• heybaby
    heybaby

As far as doctrine goes, what finally convinced you that this isn't the truth?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The one-two punch of reading "Combatting Cult Mind Control" and "Crisis of Conscience". Especially the chapter in CoC that details the Society's history of false prophecy. The evidence became too overwhelming that the WT is just pure baloney.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

When they changed their doctrine on the 1914 generation, up until that time, while I still had alot of discontent with the cult itself, I still could not rule it out, until they themselves changed that doctrine.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I never really believed the 1914 Generation Doctrine, nor did I believe their explanation of the parable of the Sheep and Goats.

When the WT finally "adjusted" their understanding, I knew that I'd been following a false prophet. Yet, it took me 10 more years to "come out of her."

Sylvia

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yeartext for 1974, written and printed in the middle of 1973.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

When my so called brothers shunned me because i was depressed & not full of zeal. I was attending most meetings and wasnt doing anything immoral.

They basically told me they cannot "let me be a negative influence" (even though i never said anything) basically saying that a real JW is full of zeal & joy! telling me that they didnt want me around them...

Just all came to head there really...

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This is a new one on me. What was said yeartext?

• wobble
    wobble

The trigger for me was when they claimed that the 24 older persons of revelation were sending them spirit messages.this didn't register when we studied the Rev.Climax book before,but then I saw it in a Days text and the Rev. book and it just seemed so damned wrong (looney)

I then found loads more info on the internet including here.So I suppose it was good old 'postate sites that CONVINCED me,but I had left by then.

Love and thanks to all,

Wobble

• snowbird
    snowbird
    This is a new one on me. What was said yeartext?

GaryB, you've mentioned this before. Please, please enlighten us.

If my memory is correct, this was the yeartext for 1974. From the New World Translation:

Habakkuk 3: 17 Although [the] fig tree itself may not blossom ... 18 Yet, as for me, I will exult in Jehovah himself; I will be joyful in the God of my salvation.

Sylvia

• mavie
    mavie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_core#EPICA.2FDome_C

720,000 years of ice in Antarctica? Think about this and the Biblical Flood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit