Gov of Ill. arrested for corruption, another close buddy of you know who

by Gregor 254 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Personally, I'll just keep doing what I do, no matter who is in office.

Warlock

That's what I've always done; my hope doesn't rest with any human.

However, I will continue to speak out in rebuttal of those who seek to discredit him without cause.

Sylvia

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Good article, Sylvia.

Edited for my favorite bits:

Latest smears prove Obama foes getting desperate

Right-wing critics are having a tough time constructing a line of attack against the wildly popular president-elect.

The Republican National Committee has taken the lead in trying to link Mr. Obama to Mr. Blagojevich, releasing a video yesterday entitled: "Questions remain."

Actually, not many do. It is clear Mr. Obama never spoke with Mr. Blagojevich after the election - the two men were rivals in Chicago politics, not allies - and there is not a shred of evidence to suggest anyone in the Obama campaign negotiated with the Governor over anything.

Quite the opposite: a careful read of the obscenity-laced criminal complaint against Mr. Blagojevich makes this much quite clear: in wiretapped conversations, the Governor revealed that he was in big financial trouble. He also faced possible impeachment. He wanted out of the job of Governor, and conspired with his aides to present Mr. Obama with a choice: in exchange for selecting the president-elect's preferred candidate for the Senate, Mr. Obama must ensure that Mr. Blagojevich secures a high-paying job, either within the administration or at a non-profit enterprise. But whatever the Governor might have proposed as a quid pro quo came to naught, for Mr. Blagojevich later rages that Mr. Obama's people were "not willing to give me anything but appreciation."

Nonetheless, critics are lambasting Mr. Obama for not being more forthcoming with a complete accounting of who-said-what-to-whom, even though the president-elect said last week that he was compiling exactly that and would release it in due course.

With "all due respect to the Republican National Committee and anybody, right now, I think we should try to be working constructively together, not only on an issue such as this, but on the economy, stimulus package, reforms that are necessary," Mr. McCain told George Stephanopoulos yesterday on ABC's This Week.

Mr. McCain, who need no longer bear the load of trying to tarnish the incoming Democratic administration, perhaps underestimates the daunting challenges facing Republicans seeking to discredit Mr. Obama in the eyes of the nation.

After all, his cabinet picks have been uniformly praised as diverse, pragmatic and highly qualified.

Under such circumstances, critics must take what they can get.Implying a false syllogism - there is corruption in Illinois politics; Barack Obama is from Illinois; Barack Obama must be corrupt - probably won't get Republicans and conservative commentators any further than they got by claiming Mr. Obama consorted with domestic terrorist (well, actually university professor) William Ayers.

No wonder the Republicans leapt on the Blagojevich scandal, despite the lack of any tangible connection to the incoming president. Come on, they're dying here.

If the shoe fits, wear it - don't throw it.

• leavingwt
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Rasmussen: 45% Say Obama Team Involved in Blagojevich Scandal
    45% Suspect Obama Team Involved in Blagojevich Scandal Monday, December 15, 2008

Forty five percent (45%) of U.S. voters say it is likely President-elect Obama or one of his top campaign aides was involved in the unfolding Blagojevich scandal in Illinois, including 23% who say it is Very Likely.

Just 11% say it is not at all likely, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey taken Thursday and Friday nights.

leavingwt,

You seem to be a smart lad. You surely realize that this is not a credible survey: 1,000 phone calls, to constituents pre-selected by a pro-conservative blog is not going to carry weight in any reasonable discussion. The article never identifies any wrong-doing - its all innuendo. Give us credit here for being a little more sophisticated in what we will accept as worthy of discussion. Sorry to be harsh, but you are on the side that is on the attack, so you are leaving yourself wide-open.

What are your thoughts on the article quoted by Sylvia?

• beksbks
    beksbks

I don't think LWT necessarily believes that stuff, but he feels compelled to report it. Maybe he wants refutation, make him feel better about drifting left

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Rasmussen polls were among the most accurate during the last election cycle.

I was posting the link for it's value as commentary on public opinion. The whole Perception/Reality thing.

I have seen zero evidence that Obama was involved in any wrongdoing in this case. The audio in which Blago calls Barry an MF'er is about all I needed to hear to get a snapshot of what's what.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

It is going to be entertaining to see the Obama-derangement-syndrome emerge within the dialogue on talk radio, FOX News, and at the local hunting supply stores. This is a trap that the left fell into while Bush was in office. Many on the left used Bush as a convenient straw man and indulged in blaming him for every solitary problem in this country. I was astounded when some even blamed the Bush administration for the bridge collapse in Minneapolis. It will be no different among the right wing with Obama.

When some union hack in Florida is investigated for misallocation of funds, they'll claim that Obama has ties to him. When some Democrat mayor in Vermont is caught with marijuana; they'll link Obama to the guy. And, when there is a liquor store robbery in the Bronx; of course Obama will have ties to the robbers. How soon will we hear that Obama knew about 9/11 ahead of time? Having trouble making ends meet? Obama's fault.

Now, as far as this Blagojevich character is concerned. The guy looks like a circa 1970 Montgomery Wards mannequin. Anybody with hair like that should be impeached. Either that, or he should be invited to pose for the cover of a Watchtower magazine.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Excuse me. Rasmussen was the most accurate during 2008, according to a CBS article.

http://www.depauw.edu/news/?id=22630

the most accurate pollster of the 2008 season
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/08/opinion/main4655176.shtml

Should I believe that Rasmussen is no longer credible?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Bizzy,

I think Beks comments are on target. The poll was most definitely relevant to this thread. That is all.

If I lived in Illinois, I might choose a side.

The case has interested me from the start, from the standpoint of this Blago character being a Grade A moron. That press conference he held the day before Fitzgerald's announcement was priceless. He was begging people to "record" him, etc.

Meanwhile, the Feds had hundreds of hours of damningn tape of him.

-LWT

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Latest smears prove Obama foes getting desperate

For 4 more years.......................at least.

I'm really looking forward to it. Let's see you all squirm for a while.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit