2 years out...yet i still don't feel like doin Christmas?

by oompa 55 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

and damm i love to shop...even on black friday. I have a feeling it is just because i have never done it and it was forbidden...but so was sex once and i jumped all over that one! Is it because I do not believe Jesus was not God nor his son? It seems like I would WANT to do it since it seems like a good ol fun custom. Of course maybe it is because my JW wife would crap, but i did give my sister my first ever christmas present, and i do some parties and celebrate on the sly...just like i have to do so many other double-life things........oompa

anywho...just wondering why i don'f feel it

• Robert7
    Robert7

I personally do feel like doing Christmas even though I'm agnostic and don't believe in the Bible/Jesus/etc. To me it's more about the spirit of the holiday and being with family.

My wife is actually having a harder time. I think it's years of brainwashing telling you that Xmas is SO bad.

Now in your case, it quite possibly has to do with your JW wife, and dealing with her if you do Xmas...

• Mulan
    Mulan

it took us about 4 years to join in. Our kids did it first, and not wanting to be left out, we did it too. It felt funny for a couple of years though.

It's just years of indoctrination and mind control. Focus on that, and that there is NOTHING wrong with it...........at all.

We also tend toward agnostic, but more likely atheist. You can't find an angel, nativity anything, or any religious stuff on our tree. We are all for Santa, snowmen, and gifts for the grandkids. It really is so much fun.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

There is nothing abnormal about a lack of enthusiasm for Christmas. Look at all of the "worldly" people who can't stand it. I have heard many of them quiety confess that they wish they didn't have to participate in the whole affair.

I celebrated Christmas for the first time last year. I found it to be pain in the ass. I only particpated in it for my girlfriend. I find it to be a culturally superficial and superfluous affair that I can certainly do without. Having to listen to Christmas music as the supermarket still sucks, in my opinion.

- Jeremy (a member of the Faithful and Discreet Grinch class)

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Perhaps if you were free to do it openly and with all your family and friends you'd get into it.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I'm with you Mulan, I love the holiday season, but for the grandkids mostly, not religious reasons. Last year I dressed up as Santa and it scared the grandkids silly!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Don't do it if you don't want to. There's nothing wrong with abstaining, LOL.

I don't own one single christmas decoration. Could care less too.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I grew up with Christmas as a child, but never celebrated it on my own as I got involved with the jws. I think that family looking forward to and enjoying the holiday together is the key. Very hard to do when your wife is still in.

I really have nothing against Christmas, but my family does and this tends to kill the joy.

• oompa
    oompa
    Jeremy C aka Scrooge: Christmas music as the supermarket still sucks, in my opinion.

LMAO.....i have ALWAYS loved christmas songs...and i used to work in a mall as a teen and heard the non-stop for two months....how can anybody watch HOME ALONE and not start singing christmas tunes for days....oh that Brenda Lee with"rockin around the christmas tree"........oompa...and here is a link

http://www.last.fm/music/Brenda+Lee/_/Rockin'+Around+the+Christmas+Tree

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    i have ALWAYS loved christmas songs...and i used to work in a mall as a teen and heard the non-stop for two months....how can anybody watch HOME ALONE and not start singing christmas tunes for days....oh that Brenda Lee with"rockin around the christmas tree"

Those are the very songs I'm talking about. Having to listen to those songs while I'm trying to shop makes me want to set fire to the produce section.

I think that our CIA interrogators are going about it all wrong. Forget all of their "enhanced interrogation techniques" that they learned at Langley. Just plop in Elton John or Mariah Carrey's Christmas album, and they'll have those Al Qaida operatives talking in no time flat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit