Ran into the JW table at San Diego airport...

by Confession 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Here's my story. My wife and I got on this ferry to cross from one island to another
    while on a vacation. She was going to meet her JW friend from that island at the
    landing and I was going to go on to the beach, leaving them to their own day of
    selling Watchtower literature.

We arrive at the landing and make the short walk off the pier into the square where
    people catch taxis and buses. The JW friend is sitting on a park bench with her
    other two pioneer friends. The three of them have WT literature prominently displayed
    on their laps so passersby could see what it was. The three were having the greatest
    conversation with each other and allowing the hustle and bustle to just pass by them.
    No attempt was made to engage people in conversation if they came near the bench.
    Certainly, no attempt was made to stand up and approach people. This was a public
    square- no laws would be broken if they actually tried to approach people.

When I met them, they talked about how great it was that they could get down here
    early enough to get their TIME in, how they had met the 'group for service' but got some
    TIME in before, and immediately got down here to keep their TIME rolling and how well
    they were doing with their service TIME for the year, for the month. They bragged about
    how they had gotten great parking spaces by the shops. They said the parking was
    clearly marked "For Customers Only" but they parked there before the shops were open
    and would leave just before they opened, so no big deal. The important thing was not to
    waste TIME walking too far from the Hall, but to drive closer to the square.

If they walked, they might have had to actually talk to people as they were passing.

Oh, I could tell from previous visits and from their conversations later that day after they
    finished their TIME, that the islanders tolerate them in a pitying sort of way. Besides
    approaching the beach tourists, the local JW's make sure to keep their TIME rolling by
    making RV's on nearby residents before driving to town and after driving back from town.
    They don't want to drive all that way (20-30 minutes) without counting that TIME. So
    anyway, they have residents that they visit once a week. This one is for starting my TIME
    on Monday and this lady is for finishing my TIME on Monday, then Tuesday I stop by that
    nice old couple before heading to the KH to meet the group....YADDA YADDA.

I actually heard one of these conversations from the car on a previous visit. The resident
    was saying how she didn't have much time to spare, but thanked the pioneer for visiting and
    mentioned how she didn't think the high price of gas (it was peaking then) was more than
    just a sign of greed and the ever-changing times. You could tell how she was just polite to
    the JW and felt sorry for her visiting every week, hoping for some kind of positive response.
    The lady really needed to tell the JW not to come back, but she just couldn't do it.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Three years ago, my then 5th grader and I had a table set out in front of our local Publix Food Store, selling candy to raise money for his trip to Washington DC with the patrols. We were there for several days, including the day before Hurricane Wilma hit here and so did a really good business with the TONS of people coming in and out of the store. Not 10 feet away was a bench. And every day we were there, there was a man who was a Jehovahs Witness since he was holding several Watchtowers while he sat there, who didnt ONCE engage anybody. Some friends came by occasionally and then he talked, but other than that...nothing. He looked at his watch often. Precisely at 6pm each night he would use his cell phone, call his ride and get picked up. He was there the whole time we were which was from 2:30 after school til he left at 6. I would bet ANY money he was counting all that time and yet never once spoke to anybody or placed anything. Do they really CARE that they arent saving anybody? Hell no they dont care. Is there any urgency? Hell no...only a desire to post hours.

Hell I coulda done a better job than HE did just giving out tracts with candy bars LOL!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was in the Airport Congo in Shertz, TX outside of San Antonio, the airport was their territory. I was on private reproof and was told I could witness anywhere but the airport. So, I never got to go. They sent out cargroups, I never dreamed they were setting up tables.

The first time I saw a table set up for JW's to witness at an airport was in Oakland CA, I was JW with a JW. I really thought it looked so odd to see the literature all laid out like it was.

Even at the KH it's all hid behind the counter.

They were a lively couple, and did not approach us. I did get the recent WT from them.

purps

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Geez if they're that lazy why not stay home and make up however many hours you want!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    why not stay home and make up however many hours you want!

When they phone witness, is this from home or from the KH? There was lots of talk of phone witnessing in the audio files of the Fall Special Assembly.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I don't have a whole lot more to add than to say that this was my experience as well. I can remember a lot of pointless hours wasted in "the ministry" trying to avoid people.

Once I had a future MTS grad tell me that we should take the unbaptized publisher we were with home and show him one of the society's videos so we could keep counting time. We had several hour long car trips where we supposedly looked for people to talk to, but amazingly never talked to anybody. I wasn't a fan of these practices, but they were common among the pioneers.

It wasn't about the urgency of the times or the need to make disciples, it was all about "making time." It still boggles my mind that millions of people around the globe waste take precious hours out of their day to engage in the pointless field service activity just to remain in good standing with their religion.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think witnesses are afraid to engage real people any more. Most people are either not interested or have some sort of history with the witnesses either like us or they know someone LIKE us or they've seen a discussion online. You hit one of us and it's a big ding in your faith and confidence! You go door to door 95% of the time your talking to a door or a not interested good day. You set up a table your a target! EVERYONE who stops is someone like us! lol.

The days of being under the radar for these religions is over, they are done, stick in the fork!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I did silent street work ALOT when I was pioneering. Somedays I approached people, but mostly I just silently displayed the literature.

I just didn't have it in me to talk to anyone toward the end of my pioneering. That joyful pioneer spirit just never kicked in for me once the newness wore off. Working fulltime didn't seem to help that, either.

How did I justify my time and activity? I viewed it as advertising (like a placard or sandwich board). Or a type of protest against whoknowswhat.

My feeling was that I could present a professional image and maybe an 'honest-hearted person' would listen more attentively when someone appeared at their door.

OMG! What a huge waste of time, energy and my 20's and 30's. I used to get up at 4:00am so I could meet my group at 5:30 -- 30 miles away.

Breakfast after streetwork was fun. Didn't get to do it often, but sure enjoyed it when I could join the group.

-Aude.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Thread has triggered another "wasting time counting time" memory:

We used to drive to a convention center for circuit assemblies and SADs, in another city. The center was just off the freeway and fronted on a busy main street. For several years, whenever we turned into the parking lot we spotted an old man standing on the sidewalk, holding up a WT magazine.

He was a local dub pioneer, about 80 years old. Everyone said he was 'annointed." They spoke of him with a mixture of awe and respect. People said he showed up a couple of hours early to every convention and stood out on the road with his magazine. Never spoke to anyone, of course, nor did anyone ever stop and jump out and run over and ask for literature. But in the dub world, this guy was considered a "saint" or celebrity.

I think now he was a true "pioneer" - in the sense that he pioneered the art of passive street work, which led to table-top non-witnessing at airports and other public places.

As this thread demonstrates: It's not about "witnessing" and it is the furthest thing from "a life-saving work." It's about being seen.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It seems to me that "witnessing" has become an empty ritual for most JWs. It is all about marking up time sheets with lots of hours spent doing nothing. In some religions they have rituals where one burns candles and incense. The JW ritual is to stand on a street corner holding the Watchtower magazine or knock on doors where nobody is home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit