Deceptive or just wrong?

by johnnyc 193 Replies latest jw experiences

• shamus100
    shamus100
    From a motive of pure greed of wanting to stay in their comfortable positions of power, why, oh why, would they promote a date which would make themselves look very foolish (not to mention the inevitable decline in WT membership)if they did not truly believe what they pronounced..?

Hi Jonny,

Glad that you're questioning things right now.

On the point above, you are forgetting something - that the governing body is directed by spirit, not what they believe. And you know what happened to false prophets in the bible, and the very poiniant definition.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

johnnyc

Why can't it be as simple as some at the WTBTS knew, and others did not.

That may have been an explanation, if it wasn't for the lies http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/who_is_greber.htm. Read the two letters at the bottom.

It should all come down to what is a faithful and/or discreet slave, how can you trust anything they say? I don't need an organization to make mistakes for me, let alone lie.

If they are wrong, and Jesus is God, as the bible says, is an organization going to be punished for eternity, or are you?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The bible says stay away from a false phrophet.

It also says to stone a false prophet.

How are you going to fly with the eagles in this life if you spend it scratching with the turkeys?

If there nothing more than babling idiots thats enough reason for me to stay away.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Recommended Reading:

Thus Saith Jehovah's Witnesses by Randall Waters

Captives of a Concept by Don Cameron

These two books do an excellent job of 'connecting the dots' in a concise manner.

-LWT

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ: I did not compare Jesus with the WT. I said "Jesus Disciples". And I believe the examples are very similar, as Jonah himself was upset about being made to look foolish for he prophesied something that did not occur. If you don't like that example, make a comment on the example on the fact 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century Christians all thought the end would occur in their time - and peached such.

I know you said Jesus disciples, my point is that it seems that you are comparing the disciples to the RF and the WT to Jesus and the bible maybe I did not understand properly.

You ask, what would a JW think of reading those Awakes or WT's that suppose the end would occur in 1975. I say, what about any Christian reading the Christian Greek Scriptures to which it was clearly said the end would occur around that time?

These things are very different and if you really believe that the WT is the word of god then we have a bigger problem. Now about Jonah

Jonah 4 (New International Version)

New International Version (NIV)

Jonah 4
    Jonah's Anger at the Lord 's Compassion
    1 But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. 2 He prayed to the LORD, "O LORD, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. 3

We can debate how to interpret this verses but that's not the point the point is that the Wt does not give all the information that is necessary to make a balance and unbiased discussion, like I said they believe the bible is the word of god and it is not, is this deliberate, maybe,maybe not, but the important thing is they do not have the truth. p.s. thanks for taking the time to respond.

• oompa
    oompa
    johnnyc: and they use quotations around that word to point to a limited role of their operation

now john, you are a mind reader?....did a ouija board tell you this is why they put quotations around the word prophet?....my board told me this guys think so much of themselves that when they called themselves a prophet, the put quotes around the word because they were quoting the word from the bible....makes them look more like a biblical prophet

johnnyc: From a motive of pure greed of wanting to stay in their comfortable positions of power, why, oh why, would they promote a date which would make themselves look very foolish (not to mention the inevitable decline in WT membership)if they did not truly believe what they pronounced..?

it seems to me like you want us to hate these men less if they did not have a bad motive.....but i don't think it matters really.....why, oh why you dramatically ask? BECAUSE THESE IDIOTS THINK GOD IS DIRECTING THEM!.....and that is called delusional......but it does not excuse them for what they have done.....ruined families with all their "going beyond what is written" rules and regs....and causing people to make awful financial, schooling and career decisions....for causing people to be single for years when they want to be married cause they limit the market to only dubs....and on and on

if a schizophrenic man invades my home and stabs all my family to death....does that make me feel better about the event?....oh goody...at least he did not have a bad motive???....oompa

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

oompa: Your last example is in no way similar to what has happened at the WTBTS over certain dates. A more appropriate example may be: What if the British did not arrive when Paul Revere announced? Would you renounce him as a heretic - tar and feather him? Was he not an agent of the government, someone who should know? I want you to really try to place yourselves in the shoes of the GB, and imagine you thought the end of the world would occur in 1975. What do you do? You say that the WTBTS ruined many lives...? How? Jesus said "pick up your torture stake (aka cross) and follow me"? Whoever loses their life on his behalf, saves it. Also, what bad thing can happen if you are to suffer for Christ? Does not the promise Jesus said about providing all material substance needed apply? The problem with all these people who cry about their lives being ruined are not truly "throwing" their trust in God - they retain a worldly viewpoint of "material" possessions. God and Jesus made clear that you would lose everything for his name, and by doing so, you would gain everything later. Regardless of what you may think, there are a host of people who are still JW's who sold everything before 1975 - and who give District Convention experiences about how it was the best thing they ever did - even though they don't have a penny to their name. Who is following Christ - your friends who sit and apostatize over things lost in their lives - or the current JW giving everything of themselves (only thing left) to teach people about the bible and good news of God's kingdom...?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

insearchoftruth: What if Jonah were to have created a document by which he announced (as God's prophet) that Nineveh was to be destroyed?

Inherent in God's word spoken thru Jonah was the opportunity to repent and avert the disaster- which all of Ninevah did! No false prophecy or mistake there. Ninevah repented.

Yet that didn't happen. For that matter, what about the Apostles and disciples of Jesus time who taught the end would occur in THEIR generation?

In Acts 1 they simply asked a question. Nowehre does it say they taught it.

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

You know, it is tough to discuss something when I have to prove this simplest thing. isaacaustin: For you, check out Jonah 3:4 (Jo´nah started to enter into the city the walking distance of one day, and he kept proclaiming and saying: “Only forty days more, and Nin´e·veh will be overthrown.") From that exact moment Jonah proclaimed something that did not occur. Because of that, Jonah was "hot with anger" over the fact he pronounced something that did not occur. Also, what you are saying about the Apostles not "peaching" that the end would happen in their time is not correct. Paul spoke on many occasions "peaching" that the second coming was around the corner, and perhaps within those Christian's lifetime. He obviously said that he did not know for sure - but the WTBTS stated that same thing about 1975.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

You know, it is tough to discuss something when I have to prove this simplest thing. isaacaustin: For you, check out Jonah 3:4 (Jo´nah started to enter into the city the walking distance of one day, and he kept proclaiming and saying: “Only forty days more, and Nin´e·veh will be overthrown.")

But inherent in God's warning was a way out. Just as Judah, even after they had gone beyond the point of return had an out. They did not have to be removed off their land if they agreed to serve Babylon as a vassal. Jonah declared God's warning. Ninevah repented. No action necessary. That simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit