Deceptive or just wrong?

by johnnyc 193 Replies latest jw experiences

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

What would the reaction of a present day JW be if one were to give them that Awake to read? I am sure it would be shrugged off as old light, but it also shows the WTS as a false prophet......those of you who have been a JW or at least know the JW mindset, what do you think?

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

leavingwt: Thank you for your references, however, as you probably know, the WTBTS has come out and stated many times that they are NOT prophets who prophecy, and they use quotations around that word to point to a limited role of their operation - namely, pronouncing the coming of Jehovah's day. Prophets of old would often announce coming destruction. Do you need me to post this info, or do you know about it already? I do agree they probably should not have even used prophet with the quotations - but they did clarify that, and they no longer use that term.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Are you saying that the articles claiming they are prophets and articles claiming they are not prophets are both correct?

Cheers

Chris

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

We may disagree on the definition of a "False Prophet". However, the most important question, in my mind, is "Are Jehovah's Witnesses God's Organization?". Does "Salvation" exist, only through the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Have you read either of Franz's books? If not, I cannot recommend them strongly enough. Less than 20% of Ray's material can be described as concerning Bitterness or Dates. You may them to be quite fascinating.

You may enjoy a few of these points, as well:

What's Wrong with Being a JW?

-LWT

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

insearchoftruth: What if Jonah were to have created a document by which he announced (as God's prophet) that Nineveh was to be destroyed? Yet that didn't happen. For that matter, what about the Apostles and disciples of Jesus time who taught the end would occur in THEIR generation? I can go all day with references to seemingly "failed" predictions. You ask, what would a JW think of reading those Awakes or WT's that suppose the end would occur in 1975. I say, what about any Christian reading the Christian Greek Scriptures to which it was clearly said the end would occur around that time? Paul encouraged Christians back then NOT TO GET married since the end was so close...

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

Apostle paul said it was better for you to be single if you wanted to serve God, because you could devote your self to God without distraction of having a wife and family but also said if you could not remain single to get married and there was no sin in doing so. 2000 years later so what's up with Jesus and John the baptist telling everyone to repent cause the end was near? I don't get that at all , maybe he was saying that life was short and we must repent while were alive because the end of our lives was near! I don't even know, its all hogwash anymore!

• DNCall
    DNCall

Deceptive and wrong.

Whether or not a lust for power is a motivating factor or not, self-preservation certainly is. The formula of creating a sense of urgency together with imminent deliverance has always worked. When predictions prove wrong, deception is needed to keep the ball rolling.

When the numbers have gone down, a sifting has occurred. When the numbers are up, it is evidence of divine blessing. Prophets/not prophets--it's all deception.

DNCall

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    NOT prophets who prophecy, and they use quotations around that word to point to a limited role of their operation

How many bible prophets can you name that fit how they describe themselves? As far as I know, bible prophets ALL did both. Are they then prophets in a manner without precedent? Since when is it not deceptive to redefine a word to suit your needs?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I think the people responsible for the erroneous interpretation that is WT theology believe it themselves. That doesn't absolve them of all responsibility - they certainly like to lord it over the rank and file and stipulate what they can and cannot believe/do.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The problem with much of what I read is the conclusion which the information is trying to promote - namely, the WTBTS is deceptive or fraudulent in its claims.

JWs can be deceptive and fraudulent, even if they are 100% certain they have the truth and 100% sincere in their motives.

When something is not true, it's not true. The core doctrine is that they alone are God's Organization and that being a member of their religion is a requirement for everlasting life. As this is demonstrably false, the WTBTS is, by definition, both deceptive and fraudulent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit