Deceptive or just wrong?

by johnnyc 193 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I guess he forgot which phony identity he was using.

It still puzzles me why active JW's, determined to defend WT, frequent "Apostate" sites.

When I was a JW, the leadership stressed the importance of not partaking from the "table of demons" and such.

On a related note, do any of you have knowledge of an apologist that has ever awakened and left the cult? In general, they come off as being completely under the spell of the mind control tactics.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    They are actually worse than just false prophets because even when they are proven wrong, they blame their members and hold them hostage.

i PERSONALLY "witnessed" (no pun intended) such an event after the failed 1975 debacle. My then boyfriend, later husband and I sat at a District Convention, late teens, and still we saw and heard the hypocrisy as one of the speakers tongue lashed the rank and file (US) for "running ahead of Jehovah" and "putting meaning into comments made" It was more than just a few words, it was in WT studies, a book study book, talks from CO's and visiting elders that spread and grew............they hide behind their ivory towers and try to deny the consequences their failed prophecies have had on thousands of lives..........bastards!!!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

From another of Johnnyc's posts:

johnnycRe: Disfellowshiped Last Night - Elder Question

Post 27 of 76
    since 08-Mar-08

Quandry: I said I was not a JW since I had been inactive for so long - and no longer professed to be one. I've only been back to meetings for the last couple weeks before they came to "help" me. - JP

I tend to believe him. Sounds extremely plausible to me as I said the same.

-Aude.

• reniaa
    reniaa
    insearchoftruth: What if Jonah were to have created a document by which he announced (as God's prophet) that Nineveh was to be destroyed? Yet that didn't happen. For that matter, what about the Apostles and disciples of Jesus time who taught the end would occur in THEIR generation? I can go all day with references to seemingly "failed" predictions. You ask, what would a JW think of reading those Awakes or WT's that suppose the end would occur in 1975. I say, what about any Christian reading the Christian Greek Scriptures to which it was clearly said the end would occur around that time? Paul encouraged Christians back then NOT TO GET married since the end was so close... johnny c

hi johnny you make some good points that are interesting to read and you pretty much reflect my own thoughts on it. how can we condemn Jws for failed intepretations when the bible has many examples of this. On another thread I also brought up the fact that many other religions/faiths have also been over-enthusiastic on dates and certainly most of the bigger ones since Jesus if we condemn Jws for this we should also condemn 90% of the rest of christianity to the only difference is their times were further back in time.

Reniaa

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    if we condemn Jws for this we should also condemn 90% of the rest of christianity

Don't JWs condemn all other religions?

• reniaa
    reniaa

Can't you just take johnny at face value? why if someone doesn't agree with the opposing viewpoints immediately must you suddenly start doubting his veracity?

Certain people did the same to me and I found it offensive and put my back up having the opposite effect than intended on me, You force people into a defensive position. Johnny c has his own mind and from what I can see quite inteligent calm reasoning skills and you should respect him for that even if you don't agree with him.

Reniaa

P.s johnny your points on the mind control issue pretty much reflect my own too, I think it is one of the weaker arguments of those that no longer agree with Jw's

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Don't JWs condemn all other religions?

Yep, they say that only they have the truth and all the rest are really worshipers of Satan.

• sir82
    sir82

...and as soon as johnnyc stops posting, reniaa shows up.

Things that make you go "hmmmm"....

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

johnnyc

Deputy Dog: Nice Ronald Regan quip...but that has been done. Have you ever worked for a big company? You cannot effectively do anything in a publishing house of hundreds of employees (including different departments) without having a serious plan to do such. Whereas I agree that a person can be controlling without purposefully planning such, you can't get that across in an atmosphere like Bethel without large scale planning. So again, if you want the society to be guilty of "Mind Control" efforts, you'd better have more than just an accusation. I do agree they have been severely wrong.....much more wrong than they even admit to....but mind control - nope. Someone from Bethel would have said something by now, and I am sure we would have heard that from Franz. Im just trying to keep a "real" sense about everything. In truth, I think many of you have traveled too far left, and it shows. You should try to remain more balanced, and you will have far greater appeal to people "looking" outside the org. You guys turn many off who might venture out to look at "WT alternatives" based on fanatic reasonings.

Could you be suffering from a form of Trauma-Bonding or Stockholm syndrome? From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Loyalty to a more powerful abuser — in spite of the danger that this loyalty puts the victim in — is common among victims of domestic abuse, battered partners and child abuse (dependent children). In many instances the victims choose to remain loyal to their abuser, and choose not to leave him or her, even when they are offered a safe placement in foster homes or safe houses. This mental phenomenon is also known as Trauma-Bonding or Bonding-to-the-Perpetrator. This syndrome was described by psychoanalysts of the object relations theory school (seeFairbairn) as the phenomenon of psychological identification with the more powerful abuser. A variant of Stockholm Syndrome includes cases of abusive parents and abusive siblings in which the victim, even after entering adulthood, still justifies the family abuse.

The WT doesn't act like a church, that disciplines for offences against the church. They try to take control of behavior like holidays, family relationships and other personal sins, like smoking,. If you can't see the mind control, you might want to try a get some help.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    johnny your points on the mind control issue pretty much reflect my own too, I think it is one of the weaker arguments of those that no longer agree with Jw's

Still waiting on either a court decision or an Awake article to give you permission to accept the term Mind Control, eh?

Denial. It's not a river in Egypt.

Of course, if you're sympathetic to JWs, then you'll understand us when we say we believe your mind is being controlled, thereby preventing you from accepting the truth about the issue.

A classic impasse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit