jesus denies being God! scriptural discussion.

by reniaa 421 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa

To clarify here...The Divine Being who we know as God carries the name Yahweh (transliteration Jehovah). Three persons subsist in this being- the Father, the Son, & the Holy Spirit. Each person is Jehovah by nature..there are distinctions in roles and positions. Too not go off topic here let's simply focus on Jesus. Is he called Jehovah?

Zechariah 14:3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

Zechariah 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

So Jehovah will come to execute judgment...physically landing on the Mt of Olives- his feet (hmm Jehovah has feet) touching the mountain.

Acts 1:9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

Acts 1:10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Acts 1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

So Zech talks of Jehovah coming to execute judgment while Acts clearly identifies this in the person of Jesus- who as a man would have feet.

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi cjones I appreciate your comment but I accept only authentic scriptures from the bible as argument for discussion!

Reniaa, The bible teaches that the Father is God, that Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God and that there is only one God. I have not read all of the responses, just a couple of them, however I wanted to share this verse with you.

1 John 5:7 (KJV) For there are three that bear witness in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

God bless,

cjones

but here's a scholar on the verse you mention.

The only verses in the whole Bible that explicitly ties God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in one "Triune" being is the verse of 1 John 5:7

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

This is the type of clear, decisive, and to-the-point verse I have been asking for. However, as I would later find out, this verse is now universally recognized as being a later "insertion" of the Church and all recent versions of the Bible, such as the Revised Standard Version the New Revised Standard Version, the New American Standard Bible, the New English Bible, the Phillips Modern English Bible ...etc. have all unceremoniously expunged this verse from their pages. Why is this? The scripture translator Benjamin Wilson gives the following explanation for this action in his "Emphatic Diaglott." Mr. Wilson says:

"This text concerning the heavenly witness is not contained in any Greek manuscript which was written earlier than the fifteenth century. It is not cited by any of the ecclesiastical writers; not by any of early Latin fathers even when the subjects upon which they treated would naturally have lead them to appeal to it's authority. It is therefore evidently spurious."

Others, such as the late Dr. Herbert W. Armstrong argued that this verse was added to the Latin Vulgate edition of the Bible during the heat of the controversy between Rome, Arius, and God's people. Whatever the reason, this verse is now universally recognized as an insertion and discarded. Since the Bible contains no verses validating a "Trinity"

reniaa

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa is correct on 1 Jh 5:7....it is a spurious verse.

• cjones
    cjones

Mark 2: 5-12

5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

6 But there was certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,

7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?

9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

11 I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Hebrews 1:3...and he sustains all things by the word of his power

We see the person of Jesus sustain the universe. Is this mentoned anywhere else?

Psalm 148 "1 Praise Jah, you people! Praise Jehovah from the heavens, Praise him in the heights 2 Praise him, all you his angels. Praise him, all you his army. 3 Praise him, you sun and moon. Praise him, all you stars of light. 4 Praise him, you heavens of the heavens, And you waters that are above the heavens. 5 Let them praise the name of Jehovah; For he himself commanded, and they were created. 6 And he keeps them standing forever, to time indefinite. A regulation he has given, and it will not pass away."

Ah, so this person Jesus who sustains all things is identified as the Divine being in Psalms.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Reniaa, dear girl, I was simply relying to Satanus.

That's all.

I don't subscribe to the Trinity. but I believe Jesus is God YHWH.

Sylvia

Edited to add: Isaac Caustin, imo, is right on the true path.

• kwr
    kwr

I'm not a JW, but I don't believe that Jesus was/is God. As the scripture show Jesus did not say he was God in the flesh.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Oops! I meant Isaac Austin.

Sylvia

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

See the book Misquoting Jesus by Bart. D. Ehrman. The story behind who changed the Bible and why. How mistakes and changes shaped the Bible we read today.

Scribes...wrote the Greek manuscripts of the New Testament. Scribal errors were so common in antiquity...

Scholars....used these thousands of manuscripts to establish the best text. Depending on which side of the aisle they sat on.

Bible Translators...use their results to produce the modern translations we use today.

I'm not convinced that the Bible of today is actually inspired of God. I am convinced that it is a work of men/women throughout historical times.

Therefore I cannot have a scriptural discussion concerning who Jesus is.

All the best in your search.

Blueblades

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

no problem snowbird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit