jesus denies being God! scriptural discussion.

by reniaa 421 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Being an Archangel is still an angel. Jesus was much more than that. An Archangel is just a high ranking ANGEL ... it doesn't change the fact that it is still an ANGEL.

Sacolton,

Big deal. Blows away the trinity though. Jesus was not always a man. He had the nature of a non-human before becoming a man. And he retains both natures after His resurrection. This hypostasis nature is another thing most do not understand but I discussed it in my document. And it does cause some confusion. We can now use either nature the human one or the non-human one and the scriptures do that.

Can an angel die in the sense that Christ died?

Slappy,

What angel died? Christ was not an angel (non-human) at the time of His death. He gave up that nature for a human one. We have been discussing that here. As for putting words in my mouth because you cannot grasp what I actually said; That is your problem not mine.They can read the post for themselves.

Joseph

• ecuador
    ecuador

It is worth noting in I Thess. 4:16 that not only does Christ come down with the voice of the Archangel, but also with the trumpet call of God. The same argument that would point to him being the archangel would also point to him being God

• Slappy
    Slappy

Was curious as to how you would explain that. My bad, I actually did forget the WT explanation of angel-man-angel, how thoughtless of me.

Btw, you adequately explain that Jesus was the Son of God.

Because God was His Father and not Adam. This human Jesus, the literal creator of the human race in the beginning would now become the only human begotten by God personally. That is why the human Jesus was: (Trumpet blasts please) the only begotten Son of God. Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. . . Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. . . Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. . . Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. . . Ac 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. This son, yes this human son being discussed was the exception.

Several times the word 'begotten' appears. So what exactly does 'begotten' mean. Do you disagree with the following definition?

4138???????? [ mowledeth / mo· leh ·deth /] n f . From 3205 ; TWOT 867f ; GK 4580 ; 22 occurrences; AV translates as “kindred” 11 times, “nativity” six times, “born” twice, “begotten” once, “issue” once, and “native” once. 1 kindred, birth, offspring, relatives. 1a kindred. 1b birth, circumstances of birth. 1c one born, begotten, issue, offspring, female offspring. n n : noun f f : feminine TWOT Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament GK Goodrick-Kohlenberger AV Authorized Version Strong, James: The Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible : Showing Every Word of the Text of the Common English Version of the Canonical Books, and Every Occurrence of Each Word in Regular Order. electronic ed. Ontario : Woodside Bible Fellowship., 1996, S. H4138

CAN GOD BEGET ANYTHING OTHER THAN GOD??? This point has been made at least a few times...I think. If not, then it should be made, so I'm making it now. What is so difficult about comprehending what begotten means??? Is it only because it doesn't agree with your conclusion? Take off your 'glasses' and read your explanation again, with the proper definition of 'begotten' applied. Please!

slappy

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

If Jesus was just a man, what came down from heaven?

DD,

Good question and what seems to have been a hidden theme throughout scripture for a long time. His life. And this life (not his nature) was without sin. We all get our life from Adam and the millions of humans that have been derived from it all share this same life. And because of this we are condemned. Jesus got his life from the Word, and His humanity from Mary. He was not condemned and could redeem us using it in sacrifice. It is this new life we will get from Jesus, not the life Adam passed on that will allow us to live once again. 1 Cor 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Joseph

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I see Joseph is a Bible Student! Oh, my God, I cannot tell you how many Bible Students I have debated the Michael the Archangel With. This is utter nonesense! You are just like JW's. Jesus was not and IS not an archangel. He is the only Son of God. The whole point of Hebrews chapter 1 is to show Jesus is superior to all the angels.

Anyway, even if you are saying Jesus is an Archangel, Joseph, I already showed you scripturally that you cannot worship Angels. Please put down Chuckie Russell's books and pick up the Bible itself. All you need is Holy Spirit to understand it and the Lord will give it to you if you ask him to.

I had a feeling you were a BS and I really was hoping we would not get into this Jesus is Michael nonesense but since you brought it up.....After leaving the WT, I did research into their so called "proof" texts that Jesus is Michael and was able to show their folly. Since the Bible Students us the same exact scriptures to try to prove this.......maybe this research can help you see chuckie's errors.

Is Jesus Michael the Archangel?

Some religious groups such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Bible Students teach that the Lord Jesus is the same person as the Archangel Michael. It is asserted that as the only Archangel, Jesus was the highest-ranking Angel prior to coming to earth and that upon his ascending back to heaven; he took the identity of Michael again. We will examine the biblical evidence to see if the scriptures really teach such a thing. The bible mentions Michael the Archangel in only six verses found in four biblical books and these are; Daniel 10:12,21, Daniel 12:1, 1 Thessalonians 4:16, Jude 9 and Revelation 12:7. It should be noted that none of these verses make the direct statement that “Jesus is Michael”. However those that support this view believe that these texts “infer” that Jesus is Michael.

The most commonly used scripture for supporting this view is the verse in 1 Thessalonians 4: 16 “ For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first”. From this verse it is taught that the Lord is doing the shouting with his Archangel voice and thus he is Michael. However, that is not what this verse is saying. Note carefully that it states that the Lord will come down from heaven, WITH a loud command and WITH the voice of the Archangel and WITH the trumpet call of God. Nowhere here does it say that the Lord Jesus is doing the shouting. The term “WITH” means “accompanied by” therefore the bible writer is simply stating that the Lord when he arrives will be “accompanied by” the loud command made by the Archangel. If we reason that by using the term “WITH” it means Jesus is the Archangel then by his being WITH the trumpet call of God we would have to conclude that he is the trumpet of God. We know that would not make sense, and it does not make sense to assume that the Lord is doing the shouting unless it specifically states that he is. However rather than clearly identifying Jesus as Michael in this verse, it does the opposite. In the very beginning of the verse it identifies Jesus as “the Lord”, not Michael.

It is also taught that Jesus must be the Archangel Michael because there is only one Archangel mentioned in the Bible and this term means the highest ranking Angel. Thus it is concluded that the highest-ranking Angel must be God’s Son. However in Daniel 10:13 it clearly shows that Michael is not the only one of his status or rank “But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me”, According to the American Heritage Dictionary the term “Arch” has the following meanings; Chief or Principal, highest rank or chief status. Chief prince is another term for Archangel and Daniel records that there are more than one. Michael is the only one specifically called by his rank of Archangel in the Bible but this does not dismiss the fact that there can be more than one Angel occupying this high rank. And in light of Daniel chapter 10, we know there are others for Michael is only one of the Chief Princes. Gabriel is the only other Angel specifically named in the Bible, and according to some ancient historical books such as the book of Enoch , he is also an Archangel.

Daniel 12:1 state; "At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered. It is asserted here that this great prince must be Jesus. But again, the scripture does not make any direct statement that Michael here is actually the Lord Jesus. And while the Lord is called the Prince of Peace in the Bible, he is not known as the Great Prince or protector of Israel. Rather Christ is the King of Israel and the Savior. Some try to force Jesus into this text by saying that this scene is depicting Christ taking his Kingly rule. They come to this conclusion by mistranslating the meaning of the verse. This is done because some Bibles such as KJV translate verse 1 as “Michael, the great prince who protects your people, stands up”. By using the term “stands up” instead of “will arise” it is taught that the term “stands up” could denote the taking of kingly rule, as Kings were known to “stand up” or assert rule over their kingdoms. However this verse does not support any such translation, as it does not clearly say that kingship is being assumed. To get this opinion, you need to assume that this is what the verse is saying. This is what Charles Russell did, but this verse is ambiguous and could be translated in other ways. And you may note that this verse refers to Michael as a great Prince but not a King. The Prophet Isaiah called Christ the “Prince of Peace” prior to his human birth on earth. But, when Christ returns to reign on earth he will be returning as our King, not a Prince.

Again, this verse does not say Michael is assuming kingship but simply says that Michael the Archangel who protects God’s people arises to help deliver them, and is a scene during the final tribulation period. And it certainly is not uncommon for Angels to be used in this capacity even if they are not Archangels . For instance two Angels helped deliver Lot from Sodom before God destroyed the city (Genesis 19). Thus if Michael arises to help deliver Israel, he does so under the order of Christ the King .

Jude 9 states about Michael “But even the Archangel Michael when he was disputing the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said “the Lord rebuke you!” Michael would not rebuke or make a harsh statement to the Devil because he lacked the authority to do so. However, the Lord Jesus would rebuke Satan and did in Matthew 4:10, Jesus says “Away from me Satan! For it is written; worship the LORD your God, and serve him only”. This verse clearly shows that the Lord Jesus and Michael are not the same person. However in an effort to hide this fact this scripture has been tampered with in some Bibles such as the NWT. It translates this verse “May Jehovah rebuke you” instead of the “Lord”. There is no support in the early Greek Manuscripts for inserting the name Jehovah here and this is shown even in the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of Greek Scriptures distributed by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society . (See page 1055 for the Greek translation of Jude 9). The original Greek translates this verse as “Lord” (Jesus), not Jehovah.

The last verse is Revelation 12:7 “And there was war in heaven , Michael and his Angels fought against the dragon and his Angels fought back, but were not strong enough, and lost their place in heaven” “He was hurled down to the earth and his Angels were hurled down with him”. Here again, Jesus is not identified with being Michael. It is said that this Michael must be Christ for whom else would have Angels under him to fight for him? Well, this verse states that Satan had his army of Angels under him. Therefore if Satan can have command of Angels under him, so could Michael as an Archangel. And certainly the Archangel can toss Satan out of heaven with God’s blessing!

Rather than the Bible teaching that Jesus is the Archangel Michael it clearly teaches the contrary, which is that the Lord Jesus is far superior to any of the Angels. He is the Son of God , the Logos (Word) and as such the fullness of God’s Divinity dwells in him. The Lord is also the firstborn of all creation, and by means of him all things (not all “other” things) have been created. (See KIT book page 880 for the Greek rendering of Col. 1:15-20) Note the addition of the word “other”. It was the Lord who laid the earth’s foundations and the heavens are the works of his hands. God commands all, including the Angels to honor and worship the Son just like we do him! And the Lord is returning to earth as the ‘ King of Kings ” and “ Lord of Lords ” and not as an Angel or chief prince. (Hebrews 1:1-14, Colossians 1:15-20, John 1:1, John 5:22-24, Revelation 19:15-17)

(Edited to add: article written by Lilly Cruz 2004)

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Maybe this will break it down easier for people to understand;

How we know Jesus of the NT is The God of the OT; The bible says to worship the ONE God alone, who is our creator. In the OT he is called by Jehovah or Yahweh . It is clear; he does not accept anyone worshiping any other God but him. See Deuteronomy 5:9, 8:19, 11:16 In the NT, Jesus also said to Satan that the LORD of the OT is the one we must worship. See Matthew 4:10 But Jesus accepted worship directed at himself from others. See some of the following times he was worshiped in the NT; Matthew 14:33, Matthew 28:17, John 9:38. Also in Hebrews 1:6 it says even Angels shall worship Jesus. * The WT has changed the NWT bible to use the word "obeisance" instead of "worship". They flagrantly changed it to back up their own beliefs but in the original Greek the word is "worship". See the WT book kingdom interlinear Greek Translation. Why would Jesus accept worship for himself as appropriate? Because he is the incarnation of the LORD of the OT that is why. In other words, he is GOD in the flesh, thus he is the true God of the OT. Here are the texts in their entirety that prove this important point, Isaiah 9:6 - For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
    And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace John 1:1 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. * If Jesus is "a god" like the WT says, then he must be a false God as all other Gods except the one of the OT are false Gods . And if anyone worshiped Christ, as we see they did, they would have to be stoned for blasphemy. Philippians 2:5-7 5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness Matthew 1:23 The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" —which means, "God with us." John 8:58 58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "Before Abraham was born, I am!” compare to this verse; Exodus 3:14 "God said to Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites : 'I AM has sent me to you.' John 10:30 "I and the Father are one." - The Greek Word "one" use here meaning the same kind or nature In conclusion we are to worship ONE God only. The God of the OT who was incarnate (made in the flesh) as the Lord Jesus Christ. So worshiping Christ is the same as worshiping the God of the OT for they are the same GOD. The divine Son is equal in nature as the father and the ancient Jews understood this and that is why they wanted to stone Jesus for saying he was God's son. They knew this made him equal. The God of the OT, Jehovah tells us to honor his son JUST LIKE we honor him; John 5:22-24 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him. There are many other texts that show that Jehovah of the OT shares his deity with his Son but I think these are sufficient for now. I did not understand that Jesus IS God in the flesh until I left the WT. They changed all the verses that prove this fact in their bible. I would suggest buying another Bible translation and reading the NT in it to see clearly that the Disciples rightfully worshiped Christ. Peace, Lilly
  • JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

If we reason that by using the term “WITH” it means Jesus is the Archangel then by his being WITH the trumpet call of God we would have to conclude that he is the trumpet of God.

Lovelylil,

If you had a trumpet with you would we have to conclude that you are the trumpet? If you had someone Else's trumpet with you would we have to conclude that you were that someone else?

Joseph

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Well Joseph, Charles Russell came to the conclusion that Jesus Was the Archangel in Thessalonians simply because it says the Lord descends from heaven "with" a loud command "with" the voice of the archangel. Even though this text calls Jesus "the Lord", Russell is the one who jumped to conclusions that the Lord was the one shouting and that he was the Archangel in this verse. He then passed this error onto the Bible Students and the modern day JW's continue in this falsehood.

If any of these people would actually read the text themselves, they would see that the Lord comes "with" or accompanied by the loud command and trumpet of God, but never does it say HE is the one shouting. To try to link the Lord with being an Archangel from this verse is quite a stretch, don't you think?

And before you say that is not how Russell interpreted it, I have all his studies in the scripture books.

I only wish I had them before the Witnesses called on me, I would have told them NO from the beginning.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Lovelylil,

I could care less what Russel taught. You saw the quote from Gill that was made long before him. And there are other texts shown that confirm. This was not just developed out of the blue. It is after all scripture. That is what interest's me. So believe whatever you want. I am not the one that is going to judge you anyway.

Joseph

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Your right Joseph, I forgot that Russell borrowed that teaching from the Adventists.

The belief that Jesus was an Angel or created being actually goes much father back then that. It was called the Aryan heresy in the church.

Regardless of who starting this belief in our modern day, they (adventists, bible students, and jws) use the same scriptures to ty to prove it. Just for the record, there is not one scripture that says Jesus Christ IS Michael the Archangel. In order to believe this, you have to read things into the scriptures that are not there. Any of the texts used are ambiguous at best. That is not conclusive proof.

And there are many scriptural texts that prove otherwise.

Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit