jesus denies being God! scriptural discussion.

by reniaa 421 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

First of all, since you abandoned the last discussion, I’ll consider that one wrapped and done. I hope I’ve given you food for thought regarding the spirituality of those outside the Witnesses, the power of choice, and the ability and authority of women to lead and reason.

I notice next you’ve tackled a big one, the nature of Jesus and God. Just right off, I’d like to clarify that I won’t defend the Trinitarian stance, but rather the first question of whether Jesus is fully God? This really homes in on your biggest stumbling block for not accepting any other religion but the Witnesses. So I hope I honor you by giving this topic it’s due.

And finally, we do know that whatever discussion we have here, our understanding of God and his son will necessarily be incomplete. An all-knowing creator of all we see would be too complex and too vast to adequately comprehend with our finite minds, our finite language, and by a finite bible. Yes, even the bible description will, by definition, be inadequate to fully explain God’s nature. The best we can do is speculate on the nature of God.

Scripture

Reniaa Comment

Janet Comment

17… 18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. … Mark 10:17-20

why would jesus pick up the mans words if he actually was God?

Was Jesus intent on describing his own nature, or teaching the man? He honed in very quickly on the man’s weakness.

Perhaps as the man introduced himself to the "good teacher" it was with a hint of flattery and by association they were both pretty darn close to divine. The man confirms this thought in verse 20. I suggest the man had no idea who he was talking to, he was much more intent on justifying his own righteousness. Jesus quickly pointed out that no man can claim to come close (ver. 21, 22).

Note also that, besides selling his riches, Jesus instructed the man to follow him. If Jesus were simply the conduit, the son, why did Jesus not command the man to follow Jehovah? (See also Matthew 19:16-30, Luke 18:18-30)

8Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

10Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'[d]" Matthew 4:8-10

firstly why would satan offer Jesus kingdoms and splender if he thought jesus was god indeed why would he consider such stuff would tempt god enough to worship him? and why would jesus reply that way if he was God surely he would say worship only me or something to that effect?

Why would Satan attempt to usurp God’s throne in the first place? A creature of sinful and corrupt nature is not necessarily smart. (Isaiah 14:12-14)

Isn’t the whole difference between a corrupt and a divine leader is that one demands worship, and the other humbly accepts it?

Examples where Jesus was worshipped or shall be worshipped: Matthew 2:2, 2:11, 14:33, 25:31, 28:9, 28:17, John 9:38, Hebrews 1:6, and 1:13.

There's also a bundle in Revelation, the lamb on the throne.

28"… I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I….but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me…John 14:28-30

here jesus shows us that he never considers himself equal to god and obeys him.

Besides obedience, these verses in John speak to the great intimacy between Jesus and his Father. (See also John 10:49, 50)

Consider also when Jesus said this, the religious, orthodox Jews were ready to stone him for blasphemy.

"I and [my] Father are one." Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. (John 10:30-33 (KJV))

We’ll look at some of the good works that Jesus did later, and ask if any one other than God could do them?

14Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. …But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two men is valid. I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me." john 8:14-18

here jesus s showing he fulfills the testimony law on two witnesses but which two? himself and his father...2 separate people testifying (not 3 in1) how could jesus say this if he was saying he was God? and in fact wouldn't jesus be giving false testimony here if he was in fact god?

I won’t discuss the trinity here; that is a separate argument.

The witnesses misrepresent the concept of two distinct personalities in one godhead. If there is one God with two distinct personalities, then God certainly could testify on behalf of Himself. Besides, what Judge is over Him?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t002.html

34…Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'[e]? If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. John 10:31-37

here jesus is accused of being God but he corrects them showing you can call many things God and then correctly identifying himself as God's son only. definitely a wasted opportunity for jesus to confirm all that trinititarians believe.

These are just a sample of scriptures I find that really show that jesus is very separate from his father and even takes every opportunity not to be seen in anyway as equal to his father but here they are up for discussion to any who disagree.

Delicious. You and I quote the same scripture to defend different points of view.

In my quote above, I stopped short of Jesus’ claim that all men are gods. So let’s cover that here.

But surely Jesus was not claiming that all men can be God. There is only one God, right?

So how can men be gods? Jesus was quoting Psalm 82:6. Jesus was referring to the Judges of old who were called gods because they represented God in executing judgment. See also Exodus 4:17, 7:1. Before Jesus, such miraculous signs of God’s favor and power were no longer seen.

Jesus’ argument was as follows: If God could call mere people "gods", why was if blasphemous for him, the Son of God, to declare himself equal to God? (I quote the commentary in my bible here, New Living Translation, Life Application Study Bible, © 1988) http://www.newlivingtranslation.com/

Note also in the Psalm that Asaph points out that even gods can’t escape death (Psalm 82:7). Jesus distinctly did.

I have more to say, but it will take a while to pull the scriptures together. Next, I’ll talk about not only what Jesus said, but what he did, that demonstrates that he could only be God. I’ll be asking these questions:

Who sits on the throne? Only God.

Who deserves to be worshipped? God alone.

How many gods are there? Only one.

Who controls the winds and the waves? God alone.

"For you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God" (NKJV) and Jesus said, (Exodus 34:14 (NKJV)

"It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service". (Matthew 4:10 NWT)

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

jgnat,

Excellent points. Thank you. Lilly

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

The fact is that the Apostles worshiped Jesus and you cannot worship anyone but God.

Lovelylil,

Of course you can. The word worship was also used for people in scripture with no problem. I have examples in my manuscript. It is another word with other meanings like this. And God himself made this a feature of Christ's ministry and Kingdom. Old testament restrictions have been lifted in His case. Like growing up, once we have the basics down pat. The problem it however that most do not. It is like an inheritance in our Lord's case, given as a gift at His second coming.. Heb 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. This is the way it will be at that time. The angels (actually resurrected or changed human beings in this verse that are witnesses to this reality) worship Him. And there are other forms of worship that apply to Kings which are in keeping with this word. Do not mis-apply it in some absolute sense never intended. The apostles or anyone else worship as they could for a King and yet they know the kind of worship that can only be directed to YHWH so they were not confused. Like the word God where the wrong meanings are used, we have a like situation where a foundation laid improperly muddles the thought or applies it improperly.

Joseph

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

hi isaacaustin you replied this to the hebrews scripture

Made so much better- from the point of his having emptied himself to the point of his re-glorification. Not rocket science there Reniaa

but my point still stands it was God that Made Jesus so acting as God to his subordinate.

I acknowledge subordination. Perfect submission...operation as one spiritual flesh. There can only be one head....and one perfectly submissive agent. This is the operation of the Trinity.

Where did Jesus rebuke him Reniaa? That word is no where is this text. He simply asked a question as he always asked questions to put people into a position of having to think and commit. He emphasized God alone is good but in now way excluded himself from that class. He said nothing more than his question. If he made a comment stating that he himself is not good or that he himself is just a man then you would have a point. You are simply reading into Jesus words what you already believe.

its clear jesus is pointing out something he thinks the man has said wrong therefore rebuking by correcting but and this is for others who have remarked on the 'Good' here jesus is not saying of himself that he isn't good just that the proper respect is to give that sort of praise to God, so while many in the bible are called Good only God is the originator of this Goodness, basically jesus is just being his usual modest self and assigning what is properly given to his father.

Jesus simply asked the man why he called him good. He didn't tell the man he wasn't good- but he made the man commit to one choice or the other- Jesus was simply a man or was God in the flesh.

I know many will want to side with isaac in this interpretation but thats leaves you with a choice...choose a arrogant jesus that in the middle of a random conversation wants to make sure someone knows he is God or a modest jesus who again as in all other places assigns all things to his father?

You said: you talk on my two witness text saying they are equal but isn't that contradictory after just looking at a scripture were jesus says "the father is greater than I"

No, it is not contradictory. I just showed you from Heb discussed above that 'greater' refers to position whereas 'better' refers to nature. George Bush is greater than you and I due to his position. he certainly is not better- as we are of the same nature.

Well I've looked up all the occurances of greater in the bible and i'm sorry but your interpretation is too narrow and the context would lend itself to the greater meaning simply that God is greater,

and a verse i use to show this misinterpretation is a famous one for trinitarians because it encompasses another argument that comes up

My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all [d] ; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one."

so here in saying the father is greater than all it clearly shows greater isn't a position but a declaration of god he is greater than all including jesus. but then in the same scriptures we have the oft taken out of context 'I and my father are one' given the context were jesus has just said the father is greater than all why would he say they are one as in equal as some would believe? if you look at the full purpose it clearly shows oneness in purpose not position. and to back this up look at other times this oneness is used....

Reniaa...greater...postion...authority. Here jesus is clearly showing that the Father is the Supreme authority. Nothing here is of nature.

isaac you then give me a mix of examples about people being one flesh etc but I wasn't sure why you went there because thats more my point than yours, that we all can be one and that has nothing to do with deity because we remain separate and of ourselves. You know one repeated theme as well is that all jesus has, has been given by God, the authority was given by God and this is refers to before jesus became a man and after his death, Jesus in accepting authority like a wife does in the headship scriptures is showing us that God is always his head therefore while Jesus is the IMAGE of God he isn't God, an image is never the original!

Reniaa, The point I was trying to make (I think..I have sort of lost track after 10 pages lol) is that the oneness...or comments such as "Jesus is God" do not mean that Jesus is the same person as the Father. They are 2 distinct persons. The oneness is in their operation as one spiritual flesh...one God. A family unit I beleive is what I pointed out. A husband and wife are one flesh...2 distinct persons of the same nature whose operation is as one flesh. Human analogies always break down to a point when trying to paply them to God. Jesus was given the authority by the Father - YES! He is of the same nature as the Father- YES! He is subbordinate to his head, the Father- YES! He perfectly carries out the will of his Father- YES! Together they operate as one unit- YES! The trinity- (let's not talk of the Holy Spirit at this point- let's keep it simple rather than muddy the waters).

Of the above 5 sentence I just stated that end in "Yes!"- which do you beleive and which do you not beleive. I am trying to find exactly where the common ground is and where we deviate from each other.

Now my words are not to lessen Jesus because he is wonderful he has saved us there is none above him accept God Jehovah, so in my book jesus is marvelous too he just isn't God, king yes, ruler yes mediator yes (why would God mediate himself or even need a mediator if he was Jesus?)

Reniaa

• ecuador
    ecuador

As far as I know, no one has mentioned that Thomas called Jesus "My Lord and my God" in John 20:28, and Jesus never contradicted him, but rather commended him. There are just so many places where Jesus is given the respect or title that only God deserves. John 1:1, John 10:30, Philippians 2:5-11, Col. 1:15-20. Another place where Jesus makes a claim to be God can be seen in the comparison of Psalm 23 and John 10. Psalm 23 says "Jehovah is my shepherd" Jesus says "I am the Good Shepherd" in John 10:8, he says "all who came before me were thieves and robbers". How many Gods are there? How many Shepherds are there? The Bible is clear that there is only one God, and Jesus is the second person of the only God.

• Slappy
    Slappy

The fact is that the Apostles worshiped Jesus and you cannot worship anyone but God.

Lovelylil,

Of course you can. The word worship was also used for people in scripture with no problem. I have examples in my manuscript. It is another word with other meanings like this. And God himself made this a feature of Christ's ministry and Kingdom. Old testament restrictions have been lifted in His case. Like growing up, once we have the basics down pat. The problem it however that most do not. It is like an inheritance in our Lord's case, given as a gift at His second coming.. Heb 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. This is the way it will be at that time. The angels (actually resurrected or changed human beings in this verse that are witnesses to this reality) worship Him. And there are other forms of worship that apply to Kings which are in keeping with this word. Do not mis-apply it in some absolute sense never intended. The apostles or anyone else worship as they could for a King and yet they know the kind of worship that can only be directed to YHWH so they were not confused. Like the word God where the wrong meanings are used, we have a like situation where a foundation laid improperly muddles the thought or applies it improperly.

Joseph

Joseph, I used to respect what you had to say...now...I'm not so sure anymore...

Now when the people saw what Paul had done, they raised their voices, saying in the Lycaonian language, “The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men!” 12 And Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. 13 Then the priest of Zeus, whose temple was in front of their city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates, intending to sacrifice with the multitudes.
    14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard this, they tore their clothes and ran in among the multitude, crying out 15 and saying, “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men with the same nature as you, and preach to you that you should turn from these useless things to the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them, 16 who in bygone generations allowed all nations to walk in their own ways. 17 Nevertheless He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good, gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.” 18 And with these sayings they could scarcely restrain the multitudes from sacrificing to them. Acts 14:11-18

You have been reduced to arguing semantics. That's not a problem if you would actually give more support than just your ideas. Bring in the actual Hebrew/Greek meaning as it is applied in each instance. For the word 'worship' may indeed be used as you said; however, that's after translation. What was the original language meaning for the instances you have reference to? (I would look it up myself, but I'm at work and don't have my concordance available).

Furthermore, as a student of the Apostle Paul, you of all people should know that Paul never once desired any personal glory. Any worship, no matter how it's applied, would have made him uncomfortable, and rigthly so. Also keep in mind that Jesus never once, once mind you, responded to any form of worship in such a fashion. What does that tell you?

Oh and I noticed that you said this in another post: If Jesus was a man, he would not be able to be the sacrifice that was required to save us.

Did you make this up or did you get it from someone else that was also confused on this requirement for the sacrifice? Most men would not qualify but Jesus did. Why? Because God was His Father and not Adam. This human Jesus, the literal creator of the human race in the beginning would now become the only human begotten by God personally. That is why the human Jesus was: (Trumpet blasts please) the only begotten Son of God.

Wow, just go back and read what I said again. I really do not feel like restating it all over. I will try to synopsize it though. Jesus was God manifest in the flesh:

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16

God was in the form of man. This is one reason why the Son of God is 'less' than the Father. To be put into our inferior and fallible human bodies would have required that He 'give up' His glory else that 'temple' (human body) would not be able to contain Him.

Furthermore, a perfect and blameless sacrifice was required. No one is such except God Himself. Therefore, that perfect and blameless sacrifice that was required could be no less than God Himself.

Btw, you still haven't said anything about the very noticeable difference between 'express image' and 'image'. That is still one of the strongest arguments that Jesus is God.

Thank you, ecuador, for that point. Sometimes we get so caught up in trying to prove a point that we tend to ignore what is staring us in the face all along.

slappy

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Lovelylil,

My reply: How did Peter reply when given worship? Acts 10:

When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and, falling at his feet, paid him homage.
    Peter, however, raised him up, saying, "Get up. I myself am also a human being."
  • ecuador
    ecuador

Another point I'd like to make is that Jesus said in Acts 1:8 that we are to be His witnesses, not Jehovah's witnesses. In the OT we are told "you are my witnesses says Jehovah", but in the NT that is transferred to Christ. Why, if He is not God? Who did Paul preach? ACT 9:20 And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. ACT 17:18 b because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection. ROM 15:19 b I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. 1CO 1:23 but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block, and to Gentiles foolishness, 2CO 4:5 For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. EPH 3:8 To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, PHI 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. Who did Paul seek to know? What was his goal in life? PHI 3:7-12 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish in order that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. It is Jesus. He is God, God the Son, and God's son.

• sacolton
    sacolton

John 14:16-21

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be [ c ] in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

Reniaa: Who is the Counselor or "Spirit of Truth"?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Joseph

Are you stating that Jesus is not God but some angelic form like God and that he can be properly worshiped as such? If so, you are scripturally wrong.

If we worship Christ, and you seem to agree even the Apostles did this, then that worship would be totally improper and sinful if Jesus were merely an angelic type form or created being of any kind because the scriptures say you cannot worship angels or any created being. .

Romans 1:25
    They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Colossians 2:18
    Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize

Matthew 4:10
    Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.

Do you even read the bible? If so, how can you say it is proper to worship anyone but God?

Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit