Should Prostitution Be Legalized???

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my aunts sister is a ex-stripper (she's 60).

people still whisper the old stuff, but the non-jw relatives don't shun her

• minimus
    minimus

I like strippers. They are very nice.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

1. many strippers were sexually abused

2. many take drugs or abuse alcohol to deal with the demeaning act of being treated as an object versus human being.

4. Low self esteem is rampant.

These things can be said regarding people from any segment of society, not only strippers and prostitutes. I experienced these myself, and I was never a stripper or prostitute. My nephew met a stripper in a bar. He married her. She now works in health care. They have 3 lovely kids, a house, cottage, and mini van. No one looks down on her - not even my ultra Catholic sister who is his mom.

Legalizing prostitution might, over time, remove some of the social stigma as well as some of the criminal element. Bottom line - prostitution will never be eliminated no matter how many people oppose it. Better to have it legalized and regulated.

W

• minimus
    minimus

Hmmm, FF, I always thought you were a stripper. Thanks for the clarification.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think it should be legalized and regulated.

Sex tabu is just another way for religion to controll people and keep them in the matrix.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Hmmm, FF, I always thought you were a stripper. Thanks for the clarification.

Minimus, I think most people would be willing to pay me to keep my clothes on rather than take them off. W

• GMahler
    GMahler

As usual, I'm late coming into one of these "conversations". It seems that by the time I post all interest is lost in a subject. But since this is something I've taken the time to think about, I want to add my two cents. Yes, I think prostitution should be legalized. Not simply because I don't believe in the legislation of morality either. I think that if it is an act between consenting adults, there is no harm in it. To compare prostitution to theft or murder or rape is to overstate the point. Those are unilateral acts that are not between consenting parties. Prostitution is. BA has made some cogent arguments against the legalization of prostitution. But, in the end, they're simply his opinion. What I mean is, while love and meaningful relationships are great, it's not what everyone is looking for. For some people, marriage and children bring happiness. Or, at the very least, monogomous, long-term relationships. And such relationships have much to commend them. But this may not be the case for others. Some may actually find some kind of deep, personal satisfaction out of sexual relations with prostitutes. My trip to Europe last year really changed the way I looked at things. I thought I was liberal minded before I went there. Europeans make American liberals look like conservatives. In Amsterdam especially, I was impressed. I'm not suggesting that no one hear has traveled far and wide or that I have some insight that others do not. Perhaps some here have seen the world and they took away something different. But what impressed me was that those things that many Americans say would be the downfall of society are practiced there and there are no negative social repercussions that I could see. In other words what I am trying to say is this: BA has some very good points that should be given serious consideration. But as far as I am concerned, it's just theory. Until we actually SEE what happens if prostitution is legalized in this country, there is no telling what could result. I have however seen the legalization of prostitution in another country, and there was no adverse effects that I could see. If prostitution is legalized and properly regulated, I give it my full support.

• GMahler
    GMahler

Can someone tell me how to do paragraphs on this thing. I lurk more than I post, so I'm not sure how to do this. So whenever I post, it looks like one long paragraph. Sorry.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Gmahler to retain the paragraphs in your posts: if using Internet Explorer tick the "Automatic Cr/Lf" box at the bottom of the posting box and just above the "submit post" box. If using Opera untick the "Check here to use HTML formatting" box and tick the "Automatic Cr/Lf" box. I don't use Firefox with this site but I suspect for paragraphs it works like Opera.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Whichever way we cut it there is no doubt that prostitutes suffer severe emotional and social damage due to their profession, they are considered to be near the bottom of society eg no self respecting man would ever marry a prostitute even an ex prostitute.

Even in the most liberal society they carry a stigma though this may eventually change if they get reformed. Prostitution is always something unnatural and destructive and even pointless in a society where there are sexually available women by the millions who do it for the pleasure of it and no less to evade the anguish of sexual frustration.

There is much more depth in the sex act than merely genitals rubbing together (the Swedes got this right they penalise the client and not the prostitute) otherwise rape wouldn't be such a great crime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit