Should Prostitution Be Legalized???

by minimus 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

This is indeed a difficult subject. While I agree to some extent with your statement, I'll point out where I see the errors and slippery slope:

The government does rightly legislate morality (what believers regard as sin). Examples are murder, theft, rape, extortion, robbery, burglary, etc.

I agree that calling it "sin" is riling to unbelievers, yet, at it's core, we have these morals because we recognize these acts do not benfit the victim, they are not victimless crimes.

I do not believe, (and I would gladly debate the subject) that anyone would have sex for money completely willingly. If someone chooses to fornicate, pleasure, not making money is the natural driver. In a perverse materialistic society, the lines become blurred, and making easy money by doing something enjoyable robs, perhaps very slowly, and so without relaization, the prostitute of their character and "soul", their dignity, their right to be loved for who they are rather than what they will do for money.

As I stated, it's a difficult subject. I do understand your point you are trying to make about it not being advocacy, in it's superficial intent. However, I believe it boils down to indifference and lack of compassion to not support the protection of (yes, even the willing) from destroying a key part of their humanity that they can not regain once they have gone down that road.

Prostitution is not just another job, it does something that is fundamentally dehumanizing in order to accommodate instincts that in a truly ‘better world,’ would be channeled into more fruitful and dignified relationships.

Wow BA, that was deep. You've changed my mind about legalizing prostitution. Wow.

• Evidently
    Evidently
    Evidently, you can't pay someone to have sex with you, but you can pay someone to have sex with someone else so you can videotape it. What gives?

I'm a horndog??????

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It should be tollerated, government should niether condone or sanction, civil liberties should prevail as far as prostitution is concerned. Governmental banning this activity smacks of encroachment of matters that should be strictly personal. As long as it doesn't envovle minors and is between two and in some case three consenting adult it should be none of the governments legitimate concerns.

As I am in favor of government serving the needs of the people, and not as a moral dictator in matters of the private lives of it's citizen, that should be respected as private. And clearly the politicians that made the laws against prostitution were not doing so unhypocritically (i'm sure of it) and did so for political reasons less than noble.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I totally disagree, Prostitutes have no self respect, they have no friends they can trust, they are all alone, it leads them to self

worthlessness, drugs, alcohol, abuse by who knows who, and god knows what you will pick up. It destroys family's and younger

and younger girls destroy their lives. Who the heck will ever marry a prostitute and she will live happy ever after??????

Absolutely NO....

H40

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If the prostitutes do not initiate the use of force, threats of force, or fraud against the customers or those working under them, I do not see why it would be a problem to have them. What I do have a problem with is when they recruit others to work under them using fraud, and then threaten them if they do not make a quota. That kind of pimping should still be illegal since people are tricked into joining and then forced into staying.

However, regular prostitution (where workers are free to come and go) should not be illegal. I would rather see the regulations that lead to the stagnation that's the root cause of most prostitution and drug abuse be abolished.

• blondie
    blondie

min, you do realize that there is a large business in male prostitution, mostly sought out by other men?

• still-fading
    still-fading

Here's where the libertarian in me comes out. If it is between two consenting adults, why shouldn't it?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Prostitution is ALREADY legal in certain counties of Nevada right here in the US. It has been for years.

I have never heard of any negative issues about it from government since they are taxing it like any other business. If it were done illegally, there would be a reverse impact since not only would the government not get the tax dollars, there would be enforcement costs for the police, courts, etc.

A friend of mine likened this to having a teenager who is going to have sex. Would you rather have the teen at home, in his/her room or out in the back of a car in some potentially dangerous location? You may not like what is going on, but at least at home there is some element of control and of course much safer (plus, you don't have to remember to take a condom with you!).

So while many may not like the idea of legal prostitution, it is a practical idea and makes sense. It's going to happen one way or another. I would rather see a nice, well-kept "club" where they work than wandering up and down the cities streets.

Rub a Dub

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I can legally pay someone to massage my head, neck, shoulders, back, arms, hands, legs, and feet. Why the discrimination against genitals? They're nothing more than another body part. People place far too much emphasis on what other consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes. I, for one, don't appreciate people trying to legislate what I do with my own body parts in the privacy of my own home with another consenting adult.

I may be mistaken, but it seems like it's largely religious people who oppose legalization of prostitution. We live in countries that supposedly have religious freedom. That should include freedom from religion for those who are not believers. If someone has religious convictions that don't allow them to be prostitutes or hire them, they are free to abstain. They should not have the right to impose their convictions on others who may not share their beliefs. The moment someone tries to impose a religious conviction on another, religious freedom is gone.

W

• snowbird
    snowbird

Well said, FinallyFree.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit