Dexter

by leavingwt 56 Replies latest social entertainment

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Back to Dexter, Episode 8, Season 5 blows. Cole (Dexter and Lumen's target) breaks down the door to the hotel room they've got all decked out in plastic. The door and door frame shatter and wood splinters fly everywhere - but nobody notices, allowing the dynamic duo to kill and dismember Cole without being disturbed. Bzzzzt. Then they take the body parts out to sea, per usual, and dump them overboard, per usual. Except this time there's this private dick named Liddy who has this super duper telephoto lens that's so powerful that he can get closeup pictures of the dump from shore. Bzzzzt.

The season was not a good one.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask
    Lion Cask - Lots daughters get him drunk so they can have sex with him... there is a reason they had to get him drunk first. He would have been unwilling otherwise.

He didn't get so drunk that he didn't get aroused. Twice. Regardless, the morality lesson is dubious at best.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yeah Lion, almost from start to finish, this story is HORRIFIC when compared to little old Dexter. Or how about TAMAR? Here is how the insight book blames her for the situation:

The beauty of Absalom’s sister Tamar caused his older half brother Amnon to become infatuated with her

Yeah, blame it on her beauty INSIGHT, quite, well INSIGHTFUL. bastards. And then David mourns and mourns because Absolam did the right thing and killed the rapist, Amnon.

it-1pp.32-33Absalom

Hearing of his daughter’s humiliation, David reacted with great anger but, perhaps due to the fact that no direct or formal accusation was made with the support of evidence or witnesses, took no judicial action against the offender

Only, I don't remember reading ANYTHING about this anger, (I could have missed it, but i can't bring myself to read it again.) However, I DO remember DAVID's anger at Absalom for killing the man that raped his own daughter. I always thought I would have felt so much better if he clapped Absalom on the back for doing the right thing.

But you know, god doesn't hate women, no, he just loves men better.

You know, every day my mind gets clearer, and I just get so mad at myself for being such a sucker.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

I like Judges 19: 23-26 better, NewChapter.

The story of Lot and the Sodomites is eerily echoed in chapter 19 of the book of Judges, where an unnamed Levite (priest) was travelling with his concubine in Gibeah. They spent the night in the house of a hospitable old man. While they were eating their supper, the men of the city came and beat on the door, demanding that the old man should hand over his male guest 'so that we may know him'. In almost exactly the same words as Lot, the old man said: 'Nay, my brethren, nay, I pray you, do not so wickedly; seeing that this man is come into mine house do not this folly. Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you; but unto this man do not so vile a thing' (Judges 19: 23-4). Again, the misogynistic ethos comes through, loud and clear. I find the phrase 'humble ye them' particularly chilling. Enjoy yourselves by humiliating and raping my daughter and this priest's concubine, but show a proper respect for my guest who is, after all, male. In spite of the similarity between the two stories, the denouement was less happy for the Levite's concubine than for Lot's daughters.

The Levite handed her over to the mob, who gang-raped her all night: 'They knew her and abused her all the night until the morning: and whenthe day began to spring, they let her go. Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light' (Judges 19: 25-6). In the morning, the Levite found his concubine lying prostrate on the doorstep and said - with what we today might see as callous abruptness - 'Up, and let us be going.' But she didn't move. She was dead. So he 'took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel'. (Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Lion Cask: Here's a question for you. Was the final episode of Season 4 a critical error by the writers? Some of my friends think so.

• palmtree67
  • Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

No, leavingwt, I think it was an eloquent, if not deliciously shocking, way to solve the problem of Rita and leave things hanging until the debut of Season 5. Many Dexter fans, myself included, were growing weary of Rita's character and were expressing themselves accordingly on several websites and blogs. She had to go, so she went.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Thank you, palmtree67.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    No, leavingwt, I think it was an eloquent, if not deliciously shocking, way to solve the problem of Rita and leave things hanging until the debut of Season 5. Many Dexter fans, myself included, were growing weary of Rita's character and were expressing themselves accordingly on several websites and blogs. She had to go, so she went.

One of my friends finds the show too dark without Rita. Like you, I had always assumed that (like everything else), Rita would have to go, as further reinforcement that Dexter can never be "normal", despite his best efforts.

As far as the quality of the seasons, I rank them in chronological order, essentially. However, Lithgow played the best villain to date.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    I like Judges 19: 23-26 better, NewChapter.

Right, Right, Right. Not a story the WT focuses on though! If I remember right, you didn't start early enough. You see, the concubine had committed adultery-and the priest was going to take her back anyway. So, she only got what she deserved because the punishment for adultery was death. You see, god doesn't hate women, he hates adulterers. My favorite part:

'Up, and let us be going.' But she didn't move. She was dead.

In other words, The FUN IS OVER HONEY, time to go.

I may be out of posts for a little while. I'm still limited to 10. But honestly, the same people that love that vile book, disaprove of Dexter. I mean, I was the same. And try as I might, I can't understand how I made it okay in my head. But I did. helpmejesus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit