INTRIGUE, SPYING, DO & CO INSIDE INFO @ THE SPANISH EXJW FORUM

by iloowy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTW in the English translation I see cuss words edited with asterisks but I don't readily see that in the "original" Spanish.

Because there aren't in the first asterisked paragraph in the Spanish. This is a rather liberal translation.

"desde hace años me paso el bosquejo por los mismisimos" (no llegó a decir la palabrota)

Better would be:

"For years I wipe the outlines on my very" (he did not actually say the cussword).

In the second, the expletive is there (culo=ass), and I really doubt that a Spanish DO would say these things.

BTS

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

When I read this yesterday, I thought:

Trevor: Univision syndication

• Gordy
    Gordy

Like many others I get the feeling that something is not right with that posting.

I mean he says they ask for discretion, where do they go for dinner in a famous Madrid restaurant-very discreet.

I just get the feeling it is written like a story. The reference to the make of jacket the CO was wearing, why? Would you bother if it was you telling this.

Unless there is some kind of confirmation we have to take it with a pinch of salt.

True that many JWs are starting to change their feelings about the WT but dare they do it so openly especially if they were a DO and CO.

• Observer17
    Observer17

Hi everyone:

Since we are on this topic, I found this old post made on H2O years ago. It was made by "XElder" who is today "Seeker4" on JWD.

I don't know, but "Seeker4" may still be active here on JWD. If so, he can corroborate the following puzzling/stunning information, which is beginning to become HAUNTINGLY true.

Here goes:

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES/WATCHTOWER SOCIETY HAVE REACHED "CRITICAL MASS" - says ex-Circuit Overseer

-------------------------------Posting copied from H2O----------------------

Posted by XElder [Seeker4] on July 13, 2000 at 12:00:52 {rN3hpWrs1Eubi2TgJVEgd9BhHXgWag}:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST TALKED WITH MY OLD CIRCUIT OVERSEER

A former CO that served my congregation when I was an elder was visiting the area and looked me up - despite knowing I was no longer a JW. He serves as an elder in a congregation on the other side of the country (US) now, but we were very good friends when he was my CO about a decade ago. Went out of circuit work about five years back.

Thought some might be interested in a few things we talked about in a long, three hour conversation.

He says he's working to overcome a deep and intense anger against the Watchtower Society for the way its misled so many for so long, and that he feels the organization is accountable not only for that, but also for the hundreds of lives damaged and lost due to following WTS policies that have now changed (alternative military service, blood, transplants, dialysis, etc.).

He said he no longer has faith in much of anything that the F&DS prints in the literature. His experiences in the traveling work and with over 50 years as a Witness has convinced him that the Society has very little concern for individual friends, and is mainly focused on keeping itself going, a sentiment that he said was shared by many of the DOs he worked with, including one who told him that "the Mormons treat their members better than we do!"

In recent talks with a couple who were formerly missionaries, and who now serve in a US congregation, the couple told him they feel that the Organization is floundering, that it is essentially a "rudderless ship" without any leadership. He talked freely about the "liberal and conservative" elements at Bethel who are struggling against each other to make some sort of sense about where the WTS is headed, and how it will handle the mess it's in. This is from a Brother with lots of organizational responsibility as an elder and mucho connections among the traveling brothers and at Bethel.

Though my views would be considered apostate by a lot of JWs, he essentially agreed with me about the problems in the Organization that drove me away, and went on to assure me that many, many elders he's been able to talk with recently in his area and in mine, have feelings not that far from my own, including brothers who are in the traveling work. He said he has consistently been cautioned by traveling brothers in recent years to be careful about anything he writes to the Society, as the WTS is, in his words, "terribly afraid of apostates."

Quality of meetings and assemblies have really fallen off, he said, with brothers just dryly repeating the same old cliches, fearing to vary from WTS manuscripts and outlines, and fearing to say anything that could begin to be viewed as controversial. He made the comment that "no one" in the congregations any longer believes that the End Is Near, noting that the Society's attempt to boost field service by lowering pioneer hours was an abject failure. The friends have lost any sense of urgency in the work. He said that at a meeting of traveling brothers with reps from the Gov. Body in the mid-90s, the brothers were deeply concerned then about the drop off in meeting attendance, field service, etc. He said the Bethel bros. told them at the time that meeting attendance nationally was running at about 60%! (Can you imagine what it is now?) The brothers wanted the COs to tell them what was happening among the friends and what they should do, but when some COs suggested the need to drop the idea of handing in time, back off from making rules in areas not specifically covered by Scriptures, emphasizing Scriptural principles instead of making rules, coming clean on mistakes and screwups, etc., the Society ignored them. It was felt that any loosening of control by the WTS would result in many Friends leaving, or the WTS itself losing credibility. The comment was made that if the Society stopped having the friends hand in time, at least half would no longer go out. My CO friend said that the WTS is so used to using coercive measures like handing in time, talks about the need to do more, etc. etc., that they cannot see another way of operating. He says he thinks the Society will soon drop the handing in time requirement and make other changes, and that it will mean literally millions will leave the Organization, but they will have to do it or die out. I told him I didn't think the Society would ever reform, and he told me that other elders he had recently talked with told him the same thing. I think he hopes it can, or feels that it has to in order to survive.

Then he mentioned a couple of really interesting things. He said that if it weren't for the growth among the Spanish speaking, the work would essentially be dead in certain parts of this country. He said an English congregation in his area had just been disbanded because there were no longer enough going to the meetings to support it. It was combined with another English congregation nearby. He said he doubted if the growth among the Spanish in this country and others, and the growth in the third world, would continue for much longer as the people in these lands gained greater self-sufficiency and intellectual freedom and moved away from the idea of needing to be told what to do.

Then he dropped this bomb. He said that he felt the problems in the WTS had reached "critical mass" and something dramatic would have to be done by the WTS very soon in order to salvage the organization. Either way, he said, he felt we would soon see a mass exodus of literally millions of Witnesses, because under the present course, the Society has been totally unable to maintain any sense of urgency in the preaching work, and has failed to focus the friends on the Bible principles and Christlike way of life that would give them the foundation to want to remain an active Witness.

Until the last few months, I had felt that it would be years before things came to a head with the WTS. But in the past few weeks I've had conversations with several active Witnesses, all of whom have expressed feelings similar to this former CO. Somehow I think that the jump into the new century has also created a psychological shift among many Witnesses, and more and more active Witnesses, including elders and others in responsibility, are becoming less and less afraid to talk about what they see as serious organizational problems that are just getting worse.

It was strange to hear this brother, an active elder with years of full-time service under his belt and a lifetime as a Witness, saying essentially the same things I'm hearing here on H2O. He said he felt there was a "flood" of people leaving the WTS for essentially the same reasons I had, and that this would force some sort of changes and reform. Anyone else getting any of these same vibes? I know reform is a lot to ask, but anyone else hearing about this wave of discontent in the Organization from people in the know? Frankly, I'm surprised - I didn't expect this much this soon.

XElder

------------------------end of posting from H2O-------------------------

• iloowy
    iloowy

The fact that on two occasions men with high posts in the WT Organization have expressed similar lack of faith in the Society, that they are fed up and feel change is needed shows that there may be a certain degree of discontent and the possibility that there are many more who feel the same way but wont let it come out for fear of repercussions.

The chunkiness in translation on the post from ExTJ.com/foro is my fault. There's a certain fluency and colloquial feel of the words in the Spanish post that I just couldn't interpret. Perhaps if I spent more time thinking of English words that would really tell the story in a loose paraphrase and keep the feel and sound of the original... At any rate, the translation gives you a very literal rendition of what is said.

That said, I appreciate the post from the archives of H2O. I translated it into Spanish. I think it came out a little better translating into that language since it's my mother tongue.

I've known Seeker4 for years and considered him and the CO he talks about as good friends. This CO in question is someone who I felt had the most impact on my life as a Witness, when it comes to applying oneself as a decent human being and truly putting life in the words of the Gospel, walking in Christs footsteps.

It does not surprise me how fed up he sounds with the Society. He was and still seems to be a man of integrity.

I am sorry if my translation and it's lack of natural flow may have led some here on JWD to think the story doesn't have the ring of truth. It's my fault if the translation and not the content gave that impression.

The folks at ExTJ.com/foro were quite impressed with the similarity of the two posts. And as I said in the beginning the fact we have these two accounts, so similar and with such separation of sources, years apart, a half a world apart, from two different cultures, really tells us that there may be more who feel that way and who look forward to change within the Society.

Thanks for all the comments, and I hope if you give my translation a second read that you keep what I said in mind.

Sincerely, with best regards.

--ILOOWY

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The chunkiness in translation on the post from ExTJ.com/foro is my fault. There's a certain fluency and colloquial feel of the words in the Spanish post that I just couldn't interpret.

I know what you mean. Your translation was decent, thanks for the effort.

BTS

• Observer17
    Observer17
    He said he no longer has faith in much of anything that the F&DS prints in the literature. His experiences in the traveling work and with over 50 years as a Witness has convinced him that the Society has very little concern for individual friends, and is mainly focused on keeping itself going, a sentiment that he said was shared by many of the DOs he worked with, including one who told him that "the Mormons treat their members better than we do!"

In recent talks with a couple who were formerly missionaries, and who now serve in a US congregation, the couple told him they feel that the Organization is floundering, that it is essentially a "rudderless ship" without any leadership. He talked freely about the "liberal and conservative" elements at Bethel who are struggling against each other to make some sort of sense about where the WTS is headed, and how it will handle the mess it's in. This is from a Brother with lots of organizational responsibility as an elder and mucho connections among the traveling brothers and at Bethel.

Though my views would be considered apostate by a lot of JWs, he essentially agreed with me about the problems in the Organization that drove me away, and went on to assure me that many, many elders he's been able to talk with recently in his area and in mine, have feelings not that far from my own, including brothers who are in the traveling work.

How many here believe this could be a behind-the-scenes reality?

...Just wondering.

Observer

• metatron
    metatron

The reality of dissident elders? Well, ...

Who are posting confidential material such as BOE letters on the internet?

Why do 'apostates' know about changes before entire congregations do?

Who records and reports on sessions in the elder's Kingdom Ministry school? Why does the Society have to warn against recording such?

Why can't the Society seem to hold on to elders these days? Why are so many quitting?

If any of you were in Bethel, were you familiar with the phenomena that some long term Bethelites quietly held 'disloyal' viewpoints and opinions, yet remained there for many years? That some were gay? or alcoholic? or racist? or privately unbelieving?

If only a brief few were posting confidential material, how is it that this sort of posting goes on year after year?

While the account this thread is based on may be fiction, don't discount all of the supporting details.

metatron

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

First let me clear up a couple of things:

I'll totally vouch for iloowy. He is an old friend.

I was never Exelder on H20, I was always Seeker4. That post was just Exelder copying my original post and putting it in a new thread. I'm actually glad to see that here on JWD, as I couldn't retrieve it from H20 and I haven't read it for years. That is a full and accurate account of my conversation with the former CO, who, as iloowy noted, was a man of considerable integrity. I have no update on his situation following that conversation several years ago.

I can't vouch for the account from the ex-brother in Spain, but I have to say it would not surprise me if it was accurate. I'll bet there are a lot of fed-up COs and DOs, not dissimilar to my CO friend. And I wouldn't be put off by the curse words - given a chance to unwind, that wouldn't be unusual at all. I've heard it.

This is a fascinating post. Thanks for the translation, iloowy, and very glad to see you posting here, old friend!

S4

• Mary
    Mary
    Here comes the funny part. They asked me to please join this forum EXTJ.COM, that many CO’s read the forum more that their own Watchtower, and publish letters they will give me, or comments they make to me, because they can communicate with other CO’s this way. Mary, David ... are you hallucinating? I spoke of the forum, and some of those who post here. Mary, David, once again ... Did you know that you are the new Watchtower in many circuits?

WTF?? Is this a reference to me?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit