Your Stories or Poems

by compound complex 135 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Our paths should not have crossed. Not at this time. Not in this place. He had been in Paris (no, not that Paris), and I was headed for The Sound.

The water was a bit choppier than usual. I had forgotten to take the requisite Dramamine. Those who know me well know I can't even manage a carnival ride without major nausea. So it's no surprise then that I "went by rail," the old ferry bobbing deliriously like a cork. Am I digressing? The paths that crossed. Yes ... never would've imagined....

The other green passengers and I finally made it to shore. The waves were merciless and we nearly took out a section of dolphins before mooring. I was never so glad to hit the shore, and hit it we did. Once on the dock, I dodged the hustle and bustle as best I could but how do you stop a tidal wave? I simply wanted to get to Town, flag down a cab and get to the old Henderson place and settle in with Betty and Don. They would be glad to see me, I them. It had been too many years.

I got jostled - not the usual or expected jostled - so abruptly that my grip fell to the splintered deck and I lost my balance. Before I completed my tumble forward, I felt a firm clasp on my shoulder. Suspended animation, the descent abruptly arrested. As I regained my composure and a measure of dignity lost, I turned around to thank the stranger who stopped my fall.

It was no stranger ...

• compound complex
    compound complex

It was Stan, my younger brother.

We had neither seen one another nor even talked to each other for the last 5 years. The parting had been acrimonious, to say the least. I was his hero, his mentor in all matters, and he didn't accept my reasons for leaving home. But that was then; this is now. We looked into each other's eyes for what seemed hours, oblivious to the hustle and bustle surrounding us. Neither of us uttered a sound, perhaps each in his own way afraid to be the first to give in (you know, a guy thing).

I knew in the next few moments, however, that we both were home ... Tears were streaming down the face of my big and tall little brother.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

True Liberty is
    diein’!
    Why no
    cryin’?
    Politicians steady
    lyin’
    about any
    spyin’.
    Sheeple still
    buyin’
    [it] and I’m just
    sighin’.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Because Obama Rhymes with Osama People are freaked Bad press is leaked Come now, y'all Let's make the call Then we can all STAND VERY TALL

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Oct and Sylvia, for the politically correct poetry!

Cool ...

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

OUR LIVES: Don and Betty

That delightful pair were actually friends of my parents since college days, back before the war. They had books and coffee and cigarettes in common. Arguments over what current author was making the greatest impact on impressionable American youth could go on way past midnight. Sometimes at their home, sometimes ours. I clearly remember falling asleep on the huge brown davenport in their L-shaped living room. It was in the ell that Betty had the ever-present workmen install floor-to-ceiling fitted bookshelves. She generously lent dozens of books to my mother and - get this - to Stan. He would tuck himself cozily away in a little nook between the old upright Chickering and the potted Kentia, reading this, reading that and reading the other. Don’t forget, I was the one asleep on the big D! Hardly something to brag about.

That only scratches the surface of their relationship. When my parents “got religion,” the two couples spent less and less time together. Nothing as bad as a rift or such: NEVER DISCUSS RELIGION OR POLITICS! Politics, maybe. They simply drifted apart. I was doing my thing - cars and watching the waves at our coastal retreat, and Stan was doing his - daydreaming, reading and painting scenes of the gentle Pacific. This under Betty’s watchful and loving eyes and her expert tutelage. The two flourished and basked in mutual admiration. Mom and Dad trusted their friends implicitly and never let religion divide them.

I don’t think the Hendersons went to church. It simply was not discussed.

• compound complex
    compound complex

THE DEVIL'S PARADISE

The tiny rough-hewn cabin lay in the lap of one of the most forbidding mountain ranges on the Pacific west coast. These arrogant peaks lashed out with unmitigated hostility toward any living creature who dared enter uninvited into their pristine realm and presence. They produced weather of every imaginable and chaotic description and brought it down with fury upon the heads of any unfortunate enough to wander through, however innocently. Man or beast; no matter.

Why Gary and Melinda chose to build and set up housekeeping in this devil's paradise is anyone's guess. Anyone's guess because they were a quiet, private couple, telling others little about themselves and where they were heading in life. We knew them, of course, at church, but they weren't great mixers. They kept to themselves, and their two children were as unassuming and shy as their parents. Nevertheless, the Adamsons were not uneducated rustics lacking in social skills and concern for their fellowman. They had met in college and both had degrees, she in psychology and he in engineering. They began their family not too terribly late in their married life (they were married midway through college but put off starting a family until after settling into the promising jobs awaiting them after graduation), yet certainly not as early as many other younger couples whom they knew. Born in the "Way of Truth," these impetuous and hot-blooded teenage babies were not allowed to date, first by church edict, and second, by parents in the thrall of the unbending and antiquarian Church Conclave.

Gary and Melinda were fine people who chose this neck of the woods, I can only assume, as an antidote for sorrow over the future they had abandoned and the unsatisfactory substitute placed in its stead.

Becoming well-educated and using their talents on behalf of humanity was important both to Gary and to Melinda long before they had met each other. It was a case of two young, earnest individuals wishing to rise above their respective upbringing in the lower middle class. Neither was ashamed of the heritage given them by their parents. They simply had to work all the harder for what they wanted in life. Likewise had their fathers, when young men, sought out a better way of life and, as a result, diligently though modestly provided for their wives and children. However, the young couple was part of a new generation that aspired to greater things. Certainly it wasn't a question of sheer materialism. Knowledge is power, and, if properly utilized and applied, becomes a beneficent means by which one betters oneself and those in one's sphere of influence. A degree and a career that pays well is not so bad either.

Having experienced the tragedy of mental illness among members of her extended family, Melinda, ever the child bringing home the wounded bird for Mother to bandage, or the lost dog - 'Daddy, can't we please keep him 'cause I know he's a stray and he's really hungry and he's so cute ...' - had a heart of gold, helping not only wounded beasties but also "wounded" souls of her own kind. She possessed an intuitive knowledge of what was troubling others, and acted - or did not act - accordingly. Calming and soothing the brokenhearted friends of childhood (as the need might arise), Melinda seemed a natural for her chosen field. Bright and inquisitive, she was loved by her friends and admired by her professors, who went out of their way to open several doors of opportunity for her.

The Adamsons were at one time a cheerful and giving couple. I say were because the recruiters who knocked on their door about five years ago changed all that. I don't mean that those two strangers alone turned Gary and Melinda's life upside-down. They merely introduced the couple to a life-altering religious experience.

Ordinarily, one would think of religious zealots as truly sincere (though misguided), wishing to aid the listener in the here-and-now in preparation for the life-to-come. The brand of zealots of which I speak, however, were connected with The International Church Conclave, the elitist oligarchy mentioned earlier. Rather than simply preach the Word from the Good Book, these recruiters seemed only interested in getting new bodies into the little meeting hall. To persuade potential converts not only to listen in the first place but also to attend the "Bible" class, the missionaries, of necessity, were compelled to make extraordinary claims about their faith. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. Evidence, or lack thereof, however, is not presently the point at issue.

Back to our polite and receptive married couple: they invited the two young men into their home and listened intently. After some fifteen minutes hearing an enthusiastic recitation about a better future, Gary and Melinda looked at each other. Each knew what the other was thinking.

Surely you know how it is when you're tuned in to another human being ...

A kindred spirit, a soul-mate.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Polly, the Beautiful Soul
    Polly had wasted too much time being beautiful. In soliloquy she ruefully yet sincerely admitted as much. The salivating wolves about town managed to pucker up sufficiently and whistle, but it wasn't Polly's brains that the guys were whistling at. Polly's pulchritude made her a target for mere, curious stares of disbelief amongst bashful boys; however, for Canis Lupus, the hapless maiden was true quarry. This young and genuinely sweet lass despaired of ever finding a companion who looked inside the person in order to view and appreciate that one's heart and soul. Soon, however, kindred spirits would serendipitously cross paths, and restoration of faith in one's fellowman would occur. A kindly Mr. Kitchen and a luminous Josie would bring succor to a soul famished for simple but joyous friendship. She could not have made a more simple request: kindly let me alone. Of course, Polly was far too polite and cultured to speak her mind. Her thoughts never formed into any wordy protestation that should actually escape the lips. Rather, when accosted by garrulous old men or biddies, she would find herself seized by a trifling indisposition, most likely triggered by some subconscious survival instinct. Consequently, by the mere lowering of her eyes, she spirited herself away to an imagined location of tranquil repose. Perhaps she might avert her glance to an object of feigned interest in the middle ground. The harmless but unwelcomed interlopers ceased to exist. Polly hated rudeness most passionately and knew that these kindly old folk were, in general, of cheery and lovely disposition; however, as you and I both know all too well, some people are quite unaware of the tempest brewing as they noisily and lustily chat one up no matter the "weather." Those closest to Polly were ever aware that the tragic specter of Polly's childhood lay subconsciously but anxiously in wait, struggling once again to break free of Polly's fragile will and enshroud her with a resurrected, crippling sorrow. These dear people - surrogate mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters - surrounded her with every care and protection humanly possible; yet, there is only so much one can do for the youth who despairs over her irretrievable losses.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Charles and Wilma Dexter-Hayes had brought three beautiful children into this world: Billy, the eldest, Polly, the middle child, and, nearly ten years after the birth of Polly, Rosemarie.

Polly's frail emotional state was due in large measure to heavy and tragic losses - losses greater than any naturally affectionate family member should be expected to endure. Both the youngest and the eldest children predeceased Charles and Wilma at the midway point of their otherwise happy domestic life. Hardly had the family come to terms with the devastating blow of losing the plump and golden-haired toddling babe to a childhood illness than the nineteen-year old Billy was killed in a freak accident while hiking a mere distance from the family home.

The unspeakable loss of a precious little one who adored her and a big brother who protected her was, of itself, sufficient cause to unhinge this devoted young lady. Here, though, is the rub. Charles, ever the stalwart gentleman - in every sense of the word - turned dark inside, as though he were a light switched off. He ceased virtually all communication with Polly and her mother, but for a few grunts or gestures to make known some mundane matter that his stricken soul refused to conjure up verbally. Wilma, scarcely able to deal with the loss of her babies, suffered a complete collapse of mind and spirit. Accordingly, she was taken in by a kindly maiden aunt who, despite her age, was in robust health and sensitive to the plight of her ailing niece.

Polly's world of loving and being loved came to a severe and abrupt halt.

• compound complex
    compound complex

THE SEA AND THE SKY

The Sea is my mother, my father the Sky. Both are eternal and vast, each in their way. As I rise slowly yet inexorably from my mother's protective embrace, I reach toward Father, my life-giver, now become my mentor. He draws me up as spiraling vapor whose aspect is phantom-like yet, nevertheless, possessing true substance.

Under the aegis of Sky, I will harness my chariot to Sister Wind and travel Earth's four corners, showering my bounty upon her children. They will laud me; they will offer me prayerful thanks. However, I will look upward toward Father and downward toward Mother, seeking their approbation.

It is they who have given me life and continued existence.

Praise must be directed accordingly ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit