Your Stories or Poems

by compound complex 135 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

The half-empty mug of coffee sat cold, an oily film floating at the surface. Jake's desultory expectation of being jolted into wakefulness by a few mouthfuls of the bitter joe was at best a false hope. Hope is really too grand a word. Downing a swig of brew past its prime - perhaps another (he never finished a cup) - was part of an early-morning ritual that got his day off to a sputtering start. Slugs like Jake could never make coffee nervous.

Staring out the kitchen window, which gave onto a rough patch of weeds that attempted valiantly to pass for a lawn, Jake went in and out of consciousness as he contemplated the next of several routine moves that got his body into gear. It was still too early - getting into the shower and dressing afterward was neither more nor less than a decidedly vague prospect.

It wasn't always like this. Jake used to jump out of bed at the crack of dawn, all whistling a happy tune, all cheerful. He loved beating up the love of his life daily, making tracks into the kitchen to put on that first, savory pot of coffee. Since that wrenching day, however, when he found himself abandoned without warning and readily apparent cause, he slipped into a stupor of a life henceforth half-lived.

Where's the joy, what's the point, of drinking alone?

• compound complex
    compound complex

SILENCE

Silence is good. She embraces and guides me along a shore whose sand crunches in muted whisper beneath my feet. I gaze to my right and observe Pacific breakers roil and tear with ferocity into the smooth expanse of glass that stretches toward my infinity.

Quiet. Soundless, these noisy visions appear as thunder to my eyes. Offshore fog undulates precipitously in my direction, wishing to join in my audience with her sister waves. I do not listen so do not hear. To see is, of itself, sufficient. My ears I have stopped. Inner churning has forever ceased. Vision alone will guide me in the direction of an unknown that I no longer fear.

Silence. I have chosen her ...

She heals me.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Please share your words with us ...

• compound complex
    compound complex

A SAHARAN SOJOURN

I have made a gentle landing in the midst of French West Africa, the land of my forebears. As the companion of my mind, Gaspar, plays ever so sweetly upon his apricot pipe, I follow along with words unuttered to this ancient song of the pharaohs. He provides me solace and companionship as I pick my way through the sands of so unforgiving a Saharan tableau. I, solo, am the caravan.

There is no reason to fear a sojourn of indeterminate length, however. I am certain of success as I follow the sun to White Algiers. The elements - certainly hostile toward most manner of men - have never impinged upon the realization of any of my objectives. My current pilgrimage is toward the discovery of the principle wood whose melancholic, heart-rending magic mon grand-pere conjured each day at Sun's zenith so many years ago.

The people of his village (will I truly ever discover its location? I have no map, only the leading of my heart) were said to have been transformed by this wailing sortilege. Surely, they have passed; I will speak with their children.

Such events are always emblazoned upon susceptible hearts and minds ...

As I make my way through the scorch of desert by day, I envision an oasis that promises relief from Sahara's devastating and torturous blaze. Simoom is my companion of the moment; Gaspar has not left me entirely. The soft wail of the duduk has, for the moment, been stilled. Parched lips do not for an excellent embouchure make.

Simoom. My beautiful, sleek cat of the Stone Castle. She is white like the sands, tawny like the sands. She is burning and solitary like the sands.

Simoom saved my life ...

It is once again that I set foot upon the sands of my beloved, killing Sahara.

Was it I who chose such exquisitely brutal a landscape as Father's ancestral home of many generations past? Of course not. I surely have had no say, in fact, so very little knowledge whence I came. I have traveled far. I am weary. Fatigue, however, cannot prevail against the exigency of learning who I truly am.

Contemplation upon the draw this infinite expanse has had upon me since my petitesse causes my endlessly inquiring mind to boggle. An unseen but inexorable purchase sets talons upon my vulnerable heart; that stoic logic which begs my return to reason and abandonment of this folly is impotent in face of my yearning to discover the key to my family's arcane issue. It will not relent.

I must see this through, no matter the outcome ...

It could not have possibly been a more arduous journey, this traverse across a diabolical union of both shifting sands and searing winds. It has sucked us dry. Hoppie, my faithful four-footed beast of burden and enduring companion, suffers less from the near-complete desiccation that withers my liver. Water has become the most precious but rarest of commodities.

We seek shelter. We seek water. Many a phantom mirage has loomed up before my scorched eyeballs. An optic message relayed to a mind weary and anxious for any shred of assuagement is entertained, however transparently suspect my logic has become. I find a disconcerting comfort remembering the song of the pharaohs that Gaspar used to play upon his apricot pipe. It is a dirge that haunts this broken man, a derelict whose termination perches ominously upon the illusory desert horizon.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The burden of too much flesh and too many heralds of scorching news brings an overwhelmed Alex crashing to the floor.

Being a few pounds overweight is one thing. Habitually dropping out from every weight-control group in existence and deeming them all failures is quite another. Having a bad day is a commonplace event for all members of a struggling human race. Pummeled by a relentless stream of angry telephone calls and hate mail, however, takes the beaten man to the precipice and shoves him over ...

Alex lies unconscious on the floor but his soul in the abyss ...

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

The Outhouseby Thomas Harper

Jared Whitehouse, prom king, captain of the football team, track star, and class valedictorian had a secret. And ooooh, what a nasty, little secret it was. Just a year out of high school, with an impressive freshmen football season behind him, he'd do anything to keep his secret hidden. Tall and slender with jet black hair, brown eyes like chocolate drops, and a set of Cindy Crawford dimples, Jared didn't have any trouble impressing the ladies. Except for Trisha Branfall.

With flat, cocoa colored hair and unspectacular, green eyes, Trisha was average height, average weight, got average grades, and waddled through a boringly average existence. Football stars and especially, highly-attractive football stars didn't interest her in the least. Or so she'd say. The only aspect of Trisha's life that wasn't average was her instincts. She could tell when someone was up to something just by looking into their eyes. And she had looked into Jared's intoxicating eyes a lot.

Jared stood behind a cash register. "Hey Trish, give me a hand here," he called out with a hint of irritation in his voice. He and Trish worked as baristas at La Copa, an upscale coffee house frequented mostly by the college-age children of St. Paul's wealthiest. It was ritzy, quaint, and pricey. Very pricey. The well-read went to Nina's Coffee Cafe for a cup, the well-off went to La Copa.

A group of smartly dressed, young men approached Jared. There were four of them but only one caught his eye -- the one in front -- 5' 8" with extra fine, sandy brown hair and a Christian Slater face guarding a light scar just below the left ear. Jared couldn't stop staring at the scar.

Watching them approach out of the corner of his eye, he hollered toward the back of the shop, "Come on, Trish, quit goofing around. I need your help." Actually, he didn't need her help at all. He could take care of four customers by himself easily. But for some reason, he didn't want to leave the counter to make their drinks. Something about this guy had him mesmerized. "Bienvenue à La Copa."

"Oh. French. How quaint. Yeah, look, why don't you cut with the accoutrements and just take my order." Pink sweater was being overly blasé, as though it were an act.

Just then, Trisha knocked open the kitchen door and stomped next to Jared. "Four people? You can't handle four people? I have dishes to do. I don't want to be here all night." She started to return back to the kitchen and then stopped. Rotating slowly, she glanced at the young man with the pink sweater and then at Jared. "Ahhhh," she said with a look of recognition. "I see."

Jared whirled his head around to look Trisha. "What do you mean you see?"

She smiled. "Just that. I see. I get it. I understand why you wanted my help."

Pink sweater put one hand on his hip and the other on top of the cash register. "Ummm, we're still here!" He raised the cash register hand and waved a finger in front of Jared's face. "Maybe you'd like to have your precious little whine session later? Yeah? Is that a good idea?"

"Just a minute," Jared said, glaring at pink sweater. "I'll be with you in a minute." He then turned back to Trisha. "Now tell me what you understand."

"I'm not going to say it here." She nodded slightly toward the customers and whispered, "not in front of them."

"Say what?" Jared said. Pointing at pink sweater he added, "I don't give a damn what these guys think." Then he realized what he'd said. With a touch of fear on his face, he turned toward the customers and said, "I-I mean, I don't care whether you hear what she says..."

Pink sweater interrupts him. "Uummm, yeah. You seem to think we care about your little fraccas. Actually, though, we just want to get a drink. Is that something you think you could help us with?"

"OK," Trisha screams, "I'll say it. I think you're checking him out." While Jared went pale, pink sweater raised his eyebrows, checked out Jared from head to toe, and grinned. Trisha smiled. "And it looks like he's OK with it."

"Th-th-that's absurd," Jared said, somehow managing to take nearly thirty seconds to do it. "I wasn't checking out..."

Pink sweater glanced at his white gold, Chopard Imperiale watch and winked at Jared. "I have to get going, handsome." He placed a business card in Jared's outstreched hand. "I hope you can make it."

Trisha grabbed the business card from Jared's hand and turned it over. It had just one word on it. Outhouse. "I knew it!" she screamed. "I knew you had to be gay. I've seen you with girls before, but something was off. You didn't seem, I don't know, comfortable. Yeah, that's it. You didn't seem comfortable with them."

"You're really starting to piss me off, Trisha," he said and yanked back the card. "Outhouse? What the hell's the Outhouse?"

"Oh yeah, like you don't know." She rolled her eyes. "THE OUT-house. OUT! The new gay bar, over on Grand."

Jared dropped the business card as though it were on fire. "Holy crap! He WAS coming on to me."

"So, are you going to meet him there?"

"Just drop it!" He pounded his fist on the counter. "Didn't you say you still had dishes to do?"

Trisha rolled her eyes and turned back toward the kitchen. "OK, but it doesn't bother me whether you're gay or not," she said as she disappeared behind the door. A few seconds later, she poked her head back out. "And by the way, I know what you have in your locket. I saw your rainbow ribbon."

Jared moved to the kitchen door, held it open and looked right into Trisha's eyes. "L-look, you don't know what you're talking about. It's not rainbow..." He took a deep breath? "Could you do me a favor? Could you close by yourself tonight?"

She kissed the tip of her index finger and placed it on his cheek, right next to the dimple. "Yeah, go ahead. I'm fine here."

"Thank you. I owe you."

"Don't worry about it. Just have fun at the Outhouse."

"I'm not going to the," he started to say. "Ah, never mind."

But Jared WAS going to the Outhouse. He DID have a rainbow ribbon inside his heart-shaped locket. And he WAS hoping to meet the young man with the pink sweater.

Located on Summit Avenue, La Copa was just a few blocks away from the Outhouse. Hoping to lose the butterflies that had managed to congregate in his stomach, Jared decided to walk. It took him about fifteen minutes and he did feel a lot better when he arrived.

Wondering whether he was doing the right thing, Jared listened to the lively beat of the music and watched the flashing colorful lights from the front door. Taking a huge breath, he climbed the small stairway and stepped inside. Would the boy with the pink sweater even be here? He took a quick scan of the bar. Nope. Wait a minute. Over there. On the other side of the bar. Wasn't that the guy who was with pink sweater at La Copa? He was pretty sure it was.

Encouraging himself onward, he marched across the d floor and nearly tackled pink sweater as he exited the men's room. "Mmmm," pink sweater said, "I was hoping you'd come. My name's Troy. What's your's?"

"Jared," he said as Troy's friends walked over to where the two were talking. "Ummm, look," Jared continued, "I was hoping we could be alone and talk."

"Anything you want, lover." Troy waved his friends away and signaled for Jared to follow him through a door marked 'Employees Only' just behind the bar. The door opened onto a small office with a desk, chairs, bookcases, and a brown, leather couch. He sat down on the edge of the couch and patted his hand playfully for Jared to sit next to him. Jared complied. Troy placed his hand on Jared's leg.

"This isn't what you think," Jared said.

"You know I'm gay, don't you?"

"Yes.

"And you know this is a gay bar right?"

"Yes."

"Then how is this not what I think?"

"Because I'm not gay. I'm here because of that scar just below your ear."

Troy pulled back and gasped. A look of recognition crossed his face and he began to shake. "Please leave me alone. I haven't done anything to you."

"I know," Jared said, holding his eyes low. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to apologize." He raised his eyes to peer into Troy's. "I'm sorry what my friends did to you that night. I'm sorry I just sat and watched them. I know that I can never change that, but I'll do whatever you say to make it up to you."

Troy reached out and held Jared's tense hands. "You want to know what I'd like you to do?"

"Yes," Jared whispered, barely audible.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," Jared said louder, with more confidence.

"Then be my friend. That's all I want from you," Troy said as he brushed away a tear crawling down Jared's cheek.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Superbly crafted, Abandoned - welcome back!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

I have been given the moniker Danny Boy, though when signatory in frequent matters of a somewhat official nature, I flourish a splendidly looped Daniel Boyd-Blatherstone. Citizens of the colonies - typically awed even by ersatz royalty - are loath to exhibit outwardly their enchantment with the Crown and feign to deny it. I admit, however, to being a cheeky bloke of no especial renown, unless you count an arm unmatched for roll tossing among my peers. On many a painful occasion of ribald hilarity, I have lobbed a stale petit pain at a cheerfully accommodating chum, only to have an hysterical nanny take me by the ear and toss me unceremoniously to the kerb. All is fair, I suppose, in lob and war.

My society became less in demand, particularly due to these scrappy luncheon escapades, when it was only the domestics and we. Sympathetic, and in no-wise innocent-bystander friends were summarily overruled by parents given to put implicit trust in the lies of their help. My compatriots-in-crime chafed, their pleas and pleases trodden upon by unyielding familial tyrants, they who had apparently forgotten their own youthful designs in mischief and mayhem.

Time has passed since those wobbly days of infancy - days of carefree abandon. Needless to say (but I shall say it, nevertheless), I am now a strapping youth of no mean aspect, a paragon of grown-up-ed-ness, displaying more than a trifling modicum of emotional maturity, which is an arguably singular personal trait for one who remains rather youngish in the matter of chronological age. I am the oldest person of my age with whom I have the pleasure of being acquainted.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I knew he was going to leave me sooner or later.

It ended up being sooner rather than later. The unpredictable weather was telling us we'd better get the move on. The snow had melted somewhat, but the air still hung on our shoulders like a block of ice. Apart from the deep shivers that accompany a stay in the high altitudes at the onset of autumn, the reunion had been warm. Jed mumbled a promise to try and stay in touch. The hardest part was looking into those baby blues swimming in tears that the boy had willed himself to keep dammed up. Me? Never had much luck in holding anything in or anything back: anger, good news, a reprimand, tears....

Jed helped me break camp and get my gear packed into my beater. He had his old Ford pickup that typically stalled and sputtered even in weather warmer than today's. He finally got it started and it stayed running.

We looked into each other's eyes one last time. Jed hugged me, turned away and wiped his face with his coat sleeve as he walked over to his wheels.

I never saw my dear son again.

• compound complex
    compound complex

FROM MARS, WITH LOVE ...

Does it not stand to reason that the destruction of one's home should prompt one to seek out new worlds? The Metalunans did so eons ago, yet the attitude displayed toward their newfound hosts, while not entirely benevolent, was closer to humanistic than that shown us miserable humans by the Martians. Why do I refer to ourselves as miserable humans? The decimation of the human race by an alien force cruel and invincible has given rise to such sentiments of despair. The degradation that precedes the most unspeakable of protracted life-terminating procedures would make the tortures invented by human history's most notorious villains appear little more than those devised by schoolyard bullies. I regret that I have survived the initial attack. I haven't much time. Conflict is on the horizon, moving ever closer toward us. Our being a peace-loving people does not mean that we are weak and ineffectual. Yet, by comparison to the powers that are to be, we shall constitute their easiest prey. We are no match for their kind. What is this alien force - so fearsome and implacable - that marches in relentless asymmetrical rhythm: triplet, crotchets, quavers, crotchet? I shudder that such uncommon and foreign a meter should, nevertheless, bring NEMESIS unfailingly to his quarry. Perhaps I ought not to register any surprise at all. My only palpable emotion at this time is convulsing fear - an unholy terror that engulfs every delectable morsel of many a quivering corpse. Corpses lusted after by a famished Martian megalopolis squatted illegally upon Earth. An angry red dust that enshrouds their military machine has reached us, parching our throats, infiltrating our lungs. The carrying wind is bitter and cuts deeply to the core. The descent and ascent of their chromatic war chant fills me with horror as I contemplate the formidable and merciless aspect of these damnable creatures, they who advance slowly but deliberately toward the termination of our race. I hear the brassy salvos of their ordnance. Yet again ... the protracted cacophony of mechanized warfare. NEMESIS is angry. There will be no mercy shown toward our weak, human ilk. He is red. He is MARS, THE BRINGER OF WAR.... Why these war-beasts have kept me on I haven't a clue. Perhaps my ruddy complexion is a reminder of the basic hue of a home deserted yet scarcely forgotten. I cannot by any stretch of the imagination - and there's been a great deal of such "stretching" lately - attribute to these coarse and loathsome creatures any delicate sentiment characteristic of our gentler race. These Martians are scorpions - they are malefactors to the most extreme degree. Upon first sighting of the alien beings, we humans found ourselves both inescapably transfixed by their revolting semblance of a face and, subsequently, retching with violent abandon, overcome as we were by their unimaginable hideousness. My viewing INVADERS FROM MARS when a child could not have prepared me for what started out as a little boy's nightmare. Now-extinguished friends had earlier tossed off the initial radio contact from the Martians as a higher power's benign interest in an inferior intelligence. Such fatuous naivete has cost us dearly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit