How long did you stay active after having major doubts?

by jambon1 34 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

For me, I had doubts from the beginning. However, my 1st major doubt came as I had it confirmed that other people felt like I did about certain big issues within the org. There were many, I realised, that just knew things were not right. For a few years I felt like I was the only one. This happened about 6 years before I eventually left. Wasted, wasted time.

• blondie
    blondie

Not long...I started phantom hours and talked 2 studients and several rvs to leave.

It took awhile to stop meetings though. Don't want to be too abrupt.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Nine years and counting, though I have been irregular over the while and am nearly technically inactive now I think.

• Dagney
    Dagney

After the 1995 generation change, it seemed like everything I read had problems, a flashing yellow cautionary light. When the world didn't collapse on 1/1/2000, I really started to question...everything. I brought the NJB to the meetings and convinced others to do so, started reading every verse quoted in context...needless to say...the scales fell very quickly.

I didn't actually stop until 2001. So looking at it like that, it seems like some wasted years, but I have to fight from thinking the whole damn time was wasted. But when I stopped, I stopped completely, no fade for me. Done.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I quit instantly after honestly being able to name the WTS and it's workers in the congs Pharisees and being able to say without a doubt that they did not have the ID'ing mark of the true religion, Christ-like love.

They didn't have it, so it made it very easy to quit suddenly.

I guess I'm not a fader after all.

I quit suddenly and completely, jumping into Christmas and holidays right away.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

It took 3 full years between my moment of clarity and the day I moved away and stopped attending meetings. It was a slow process. It took my awhile to come to terms with the prospect that this might not actually be the truth. I spent some more time going out to meetings and questioning what was being taught.

It maybe took a year or two before I became sufficiently convinced that the religion was not "the truth" as I thought it was, but it still took another two years or so after I stopped going to meeting to gather the courage to actually allow myself to view "apostate" websites. It took a few days and then I became 100% convinced that the JW faith was just a big, filthy pile of dung. That was about two years ago. I've made close to a 100% recovery from those dark days of uncertainty.

I'm free to live my life now without the fear of impending doom.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

After 76, I was minimally active until 1983.

I couldnt figure how to get out with my wife and family on both sides in.

I missed as many meetings as I could and would go out in service irregularly.

In 83 I stopped completely.

And havent been back since. The main place I see the friends is at 7-11 for their hour coffe break on Saturday morning and at the home depot.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I had doubts on a few issues , but never investigated them until 2005 . I knew early that year that I was going to leave just didn't know how . I lurked around here a couple of months started posting in Nov 2005 , quit going in service right away . Gave my last talk in January 2006 and went to last reg. meeting Feb.2006 we went to the last memorial that spring . So I think it was a rather quick fade once my doubts were confirmed by others I spoke to on here .

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

8 friggin' nasty years.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

a decade...

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit