My theory about the behavior and obsession of some ex-JWs

by Simon 135 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I've had this theory for some time and alluded to it occassionally but have never explored it in detail.

It is of course a huge generalisation so no, not everyone will fit into the boxes and I'd like people's opinion. I don't know everyone's circumstances so it's based on a small sample of some of those I do know something about. It could be completely wrong, it's just an idea.

Basically, I have seen a difference between some of those ex-JWs who walked out vs those who were kicked out.

The most bitter and obsessive seem to be the kicked out and, I must add, those who were legitimately kicked out. Yes, there were many who were ejected for bogus reasons - typically they were a threat to the KH and kicked out before they left of their own accord so I count these as walk-outs.

The kicked-outs I'm thinking of are those where there were good reasons to kick them out based on the rules in place. So, it could be because of drugs, morality issues or whatever. Basically, they didn't measure up to the standards in place for the group they wanted to belong to and were given the boot. While we sometimes look at things with rosy spectacles on and imagine that anyone who is no longer a JW must be a better person the fact is that this is of course not the case - there are some very nice people who still are JWs (and we hope they wake up!) and there are some despicable people who no longer are - it is a danger to assume that all ex-JWs must be like us and must have left for good reasons or will 'be our friend' just because we once belonged to the same club.

Now, some of these seem to be the most obsessive and even 20 years after they have not moved on, they still define themselves as ex-JWs, their circle of friends and people they associate with (often online) are other ex-JWs and they cannot let things go.

I wonder if some, deep down, still believe any of it or are worried about the future because of their past? Maybe they are just bitter because deep down they know *they* were the ones who failed - as much as they would like to blame the society they know it was their fault but joining in with people who oppose the WTS enabled them to transfer what really happened into the belief that they somehow stood up for something when the reality is they probably just cheated on their wife or something.

Those who decided to walk out seem to be more grounded and thoughtful and, from my experience, be the ones that move on quicker once they have got answers to their questions and the immediate support but then want to live a normal life and not define themselves via the WTS.

Does that make sense?

As I said, I know it's a sweeping generalisation and of course no people who are the exceptions to the rule (if it is a rule at all). Has anyone else noticed any difference like this? I'm trying to explain to myself why someone who apparently "left" the WTS 20+ years ago would still be on ex-JW forums and still so wrapped up in everything.

There are of course whose who have used their JW experience and it's inspired them to puut effort into helping others ... I don't count these as obsessive though so I do want to be clear that just because someone may have left 20+ years ago and posts on an ex-JW forum now doesn't mean they fit this mold. There is no time limit to recovery or moving on and staying to help others is different to staying for, well ... I don't know why!

Well, as I said, it's just a theory and a few ideas that to me help to explain some people's behavior and inability to move on. If you are working to help others, I wasn't refering to you. If you are an obsessive crazy who can't let go ... maybe I was.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I wondered what was in there.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Very excellent observation.

Many can only see themselves as ex-addicts. They don't want to move on with life, and they "do a Brooks," as in The Shawshank Redemption, either literally, or figuratively.

• dinah
    dinah

Gosh, Simon, now I'm trying to figure out if I'm a "crazy".

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I think you are correct Simon.

LD

• Satanus
    Satanus

I agree, that SOME jws who are seriously screwed up and get kicked out remain screwed up. Often, they are worse as xjws, because they no longer have anything restraining them. These people aren't screwed up because of the wt corp, they are just screwed up. Some of these kinds of people need an institution to help them function productively. If not the wt corp, then another institution like aa, jail, or another cult can serve.

S

• Mandette
    Mandette

Simon

I can only speak for myself. I faded about 15 yrs ago. I didn't have the resources that are here in the forum. I think I've done a pretty good job of moving on. My main motivation in being here was that I was thrilled to find a community of people that felt the same as I did about the JW's. And that there were many others who experienced similar things. This forum has made it possible for me to have other points of view.

I don't have the hatred for those in the organization. I don't want to hate. My goal has always been tolerance for others(such as my parents) decisions and hopefully to gain tolerance for my decisions.

And as for those that were df'd being more angry? Maybe that's because it wasn't their decision. A decision was made that dramatically affected their lives and they weren't allowed much imput if any in it.

Just a thought.

Mandette

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I have observed the same thing but since I have only been in touch with exjw forums for less than a year I wasn't sure if I was correct or not.

I agree with your theory

Velvet

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I think there is some validity to your theory. There seem to be a lot of ex-JWs who are too quick to say that everything to do with JWs is all evil all the time, and to find fault even where none exists. One example seen occasionally is that a murder might have been committed by a JW (or even someone studying with JWs), and a flawed conclusion is made that JWs are a breeding ground for murderers. It seems to be the more bitter people who make these faulty generalisations.

Of course, those people do nothing to help people see the truth about the JW religion, and just makes 'apostates' (a term misconstrued and demonised by JWs) seem like nutters.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Simon,

Interesting post.

Another aspect of XJW behavior that is often overlooked is with regard to 'organizational' character. Despite its case in 'special pleading' that it reflects the character of Christ, the WTS like all large organizations is sociopathic in nature. No conscience, no feeling, no individuality, just a machine that grinds away focused on one objective. All of us to some degree or other were tainted by a negative inheritance from our 'mother' organization. That is why the victims of cult and high control religions often show a level of dysfunction that is quite alarming at times.

The WTS produces young people in its image by the tens of thousands and it is hardly surprising that many of these show a streak of amorality when they are clinically distanced from their victims by the Internet. Some of the most bitter and angry people I have seen on these boards over the years are not those whose youth and years were wasted by the decade as JW's, but young people in their early twenties who were never really JW's and were living double lives anyway, but feel cheated and want to hit out at soft targets. These people need professional help and I would suggest that these boards rather than helping them, actually add to their emotional issues.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit