How do you feel now? EVOLUTION OR CREATION??

by chuckyy 81 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    But how do you feel now??

Panta rhei.

And what has convinced you (whatever you now believe)

Unbiased observation of nature.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Our DNA is positive proof we have an intelligent Creator...

• M.J.
    M.J.

Still haven't sorted out the facts of the issues to my own satisfaction. But at this point my default position is that life has creative origins with built-in capability for adaptation/optimization. There was a thread I commented on a bit ago on this topic which I still need to go back and study some of the counter arguments to what I wrote. I have a long way to go on this. Laziness on my part.

Has anyone read up on the "wacky third alternative"?

http://www.panspermia.org/

• jam
    jam

I believe in intelligent design. As men grew in populating the earth and communties develop there was need for order, so God was created. Man needed rules,as one comedian stated people were falling in love with sheeps, goats,etc. Stories were told such as the flood, adam and eve. It was a lot easer too say it came from god above, one you do not question.I feel the earth wasn,t created for US , we are here for the ride.

• Gladring
    Gladring

Evolution, without hesitation.

Someone made a comment about Dawkins only being 75% sure about what he thinks about evolution. I think you'll find Dawkins is "as certain about evolution as we are that the earth orbits around the sun". THAT evolution happened is fact. HOW evolution happened is open to debate.

For a change of pace for you if you have read Dawkins try reading Christopher Hitchens. He tackles the subject on a more philosophical level than Dawkins and his references to historical figures and writings make for an educational read. There is a lot of stuff available to download as audio books from file sharing programmes/websites. Try "God is not Great" by Hitchens.

For me the power of the stance for deists and theistic evolutionists is so seductive as they have it all covered. "Evolution works but God started it all off" But for me it is intellectually empty and lazy. The only real question for the atheistic view at the moment is just exactly how life started (abiogenesis). Once simple life begins evolution works. To insert a god or some supernatural thing to solve that question solves nothing.

To use one of Hitchens' lines of reasoning - those who say that god guided evolution paint their god to be a bungler and an approximate tinkerer. 98% of all species ever to have lived have become extinct. Intelligent design? There are so many examples of un-intelligent design.

Seriously tho' read Hitchens

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    Our DNA is positive proof we have an intelligent Creator...

??? I think you meant to say "Our DNS is positive proof of evolution". Either that, or you know very little about DNA.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

All I know is that there is definately a God.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

newbie evolutionist here. Wish I had the brain to study physics and mathematics though.

ql

• Gladring
    Gladring

jaguarbass said - "I think Evolution/ atheism is a religion just like Christianity, Budhism, Islam."

I think you could make a case for secular humanism being a religion but I would question this view of atheism and certainly of evolution. I'd be interested to hear your view on the following quotes from Sam Harris as you said you have read material from many sides of this issue.

"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious... It is worth noting that no one ever nee ds to identify himself as a non-astrologer or a non-alchemist. Consequently, we do not have words for people who deny the validity of these pseudo-disciplines. Likewise, atheism is a term that should not even exist. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma. "

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I think Evolution/ atheism is a religion just like Christianity, Budhism, Islam.

Probably not.

No evolutionary claim has ever been treated as sacrosanct by the scientific community as a whole. It may be difficult to grasp for any religious mind, but that's not the way the scientific method works. I've collaborated with evolutionary biologists who disagreed with Dawkins' version of the Modern Synthesis, which is itself a revision of Darwin's original ideas. Unless you equate religion with anything embraced enthusiastically (which would make the word meaningless), your point doesn't stand up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit