How do you feel now? EVOLUTION OR CREATION??

by chuckyy 81 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Nothing in science is ever proven .

Strictly speaking, you're right, but it's practically senseless since it would restrain scientific proof to the realm of logic and mathematics, both purely theoretical constructs. Besides, it exlcudes the possibility of distinguishing between the probable and the improbable, leading to unbridled empirical relativism (and nihilism?).

It's therefore more useful to use the definition 'compelling evidence' for scientific proof. In this case, evolution has been proven.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Since there has been an awful lot of evidence for evolution over the years, why is it that creationists don't accept evidence pointed out to them.

Bacteria have evolved to live off of nylon waste, dna proves that all animals are related, the fossil record shows increasing complexity over time and transitional forms and common ancestry.

What does the golden boy of creationism have (Behe)? A hypothesis that by his own admission would have to include astrology as hard science.

Top hat, I can see your goal of posting nothing worthwhile to these topics is still going strong. "DNA is proof of god"

• Satanus
    Satanus

Evolutionary evidence and the history of the species demonstrate a very low intelligence driving development. Things start very simply and develop upwardly, w many dead ends. 98% of the species that were thrown up ceased to exist, for various reasons. This is evidence of very low intelligence, very poor planning, if any.

These facts are perfectly compatable w the general idea of an underlying quiescent potential discovering itself, something like a developing baby discovers and learns what it can do. All conscious beings are extensions of that.

S

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    EVOLUTION OR CREATION??

May indeed be a false dilemma.

I think many have been scared off of evolutionary biology by the forced link between evolution and (hard) atheism, as propagated by Dawkins and Hitchens.

But as rainbows rightly pointed out

How one feels about evolution does not matter. You can dislike it all you like. It is still there and doesn't care what you feel.

It's very important for believers to distinguish between fact and interpretation because God and evolution can coexist.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I think many have been scared off of evolutionary biology by the forced link between evolution and (hard) atheism, as propagated by Dawkins and Hitchens.

Indeed. Dawkins holds a chair in science popularization and understanding. He acts in a manner (his religious zeal in discrediting faith) that is repellent to a large part of the general public. This kind of fundamentalist attitude only leads to fundamentalist pushback (on the other end of the spectrum).

Like many here, I started my "career" as a creationist because I was born into a cult that taught it -- but was later forced to admit I was wrong by the evidence.

I think that intelligent design proponents limit the power of God and show a sign of lack of faith.

• inrainbows
    inrainbows
    Indeed. Dawkins holds a chair in science popularization and understanding. He acts in a manner (his religious zeal in discrediting faith) that is repellent to a large part of the general public. This kind of fundamentalist attitude only leads to fundamentalist pushback (on the other end of the spectrum).

And which quotes would you use to support this?

And the people who burnt witches pushed back against those who said they were mad and bad, the people who <insert mad belief here> pushed back against those who <insert humanistic fact based response>, etc.

Ignorant sillies not liking being classed as ignorant sillies is their problem.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    And the people who burnt witches pushed back against those who said they were mad and bad, the people who <insert mad belief here> pushed back against those who <insert humanistic fact based response>, etc.

So creationists/ID'ers = witch burners?

Ignorant sillies not liking being classed as ignorant sillies is their problem.

Perhaps, but to classify so hastily is silly and ignorant.

Evolution != ¬God

BTS

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Life comes from life - it always has.

Now if you can show me life that came from something lifeless - ah then I will sign up to Evolution.

We can get into all the little details, evidence for this and that etc etc

But bottom line - for evolution to be true, life at the very start "must" have come from something without life.

Now, I am off to eat a banana!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Scotsman

The theory of evolution says nothing about where life came from.

S

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am unsure- there is just too much evidence for evolutionary forces, geology etc to believe in Creation as set out in any holy book

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit