How do you feel now? EVOLUTION OR CREATION??

by chuckyy 81 Replies latest jw friends

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

Evolution has been proven, therefore it's what I believe in. I have not seen a shred of proof for "creation". What helped convidence me was college. Biological Anthropology and Geology were pivotal. My eyes were opened like never before. The former basically laid out the progression of evolution. The skull formation, etc. THEN the next year I took Biology 1 and 2. Oh my God! If there ever was any doubt, I lost all of it there. The Bible (or any other religious book) doesn't hold a candle to many of the modern textbooks regarding the formation of life.

I'll admit that I don't know what exactly got the whole process started. The idea of transpermia is intriguing though.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Evolution: that's where all the evidence points. I'm into spiritual stuff, too. I know that science doesn't get into that. But, an interesting thing that i have found, is that in the socalled spiritual aspect, evolution is a natural process, as well. And so, it's evolution across the board.

S

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I believe in a Great Spirit or supreme being. I believe in science. It was always my best subject in school and I accepted evolution as a kid growing up. These days I lean towards intelligence and design behind the universe and its inhabitants. I don't believe in fundamentalist, take the bible literally type creation though.

• lrkr
    lrkr

It seems to be a false alternative. Evolution is a fact. It is the basis of modern medical science, zoology, biology, etc and has been confirmed by modern discoveries from fossils to DNA to microbiology.

Is there a creator is a wholly unrelated question. Its like the issue of the earth revolving around the sun and the issue of is the Bible true. Two separate questions. They got a bit confused about 500 years ago, but most people treat them separately nowadays.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I used to be a creationist. But now I cant imagine anyone who has done an honest study of the subject in the past 5 years dismissing evolution. It is 100% proven and demonstratable. Creationism (by that I mean creation without evolution) really is as bad as saying the world is flat.

I think the only valid debate is whether there is a god or some force that started things off, or it was just chance. Since this is not provable either way (without building a time machine, or god fessing up) we will never know. We can only prove that its possible that it could have happened by chance.

• only me
    only me

I'm leaning towards believing in creative evolution.

But not necessarily by the God of the Bible. Some other type of creative entities perhaps.

• gloobster
    gloobster

I believe in evolution, because it makes the most sense. Unfortunately, it is extremely misrepresented by religion, mostly along the lines of "It's only a theory", where the word "theory" is not defined as science uses it. Creationism is pretty much mythology, and intelligent design seems to be a politically motivated idea designed to keep both creationists and those in favor of evolution happy, thus helping people get elected to the Board of Education. It seriously upsets me when they refuse to teach evolution in public schools here without concurrently teaching intelligent design. Talk about confusing your children! I think I live in the only state in the US where it is legally required to be like that, and it is downright embarrassing.

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

creation

• StAnn
    StAnn

I actually met some people (fundies) who, when I asked them about all of the fossil evidence for evolution, told me that Satan created those fossils and buried them to mislead people. ?????

StAnn

• james_woods
    james_woods

If you are a strict creationist (by that I mean, each and every creature was specifically created), you have to face some serious mysteries:

What were some of the primitives ones created that way for? And why did they just die off millions of years ago? - (the Dinos, BTW, were not the only fossilized species to be overtaken by their competitors or the environment and made extinct). Trilobites and others come to mind.

If you go so far as to believe the flood account, and that all species sprang from those few examples on the ark, you are left with the continental predominance of certain species - Australia is a perfect example, with all the marsupials, the platypus, all not found anywhere else on earth - how did they get there?

There are literally hundreds of logical problems involving specific creation (and especially for people like the JWs who want creation to have been done in literally less than 50,000 years). Evolution avoids and explains each of the paradoxical issues which creation simply cannot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit