As Much as I hate to say this,I am glad for have being a J Dub

by SuperApostateGirl 42 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I think I understand what you mean now.

I did learn to stand up or rather sit down for a lot of patriotic things at school.

I learned to be brave and talk to the kids at school about unpopular things that I thought they should know.

If I look at it that way, OK I see your point.

Still, I must not have learned much good stuff because my answers to their questions of why I didn't do holidays or patriotic things or sports or charity events was always: It's against my religion and my parents won't let me.

I feel that I was taught not to do good things.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh, yes! Sniffing out schemes is one of the things I learned when exiting. I didn't learn it inside, though.

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

Life is full of ups and downs...and I know I made friendships that I would not trade for anything.....However I am just so disappointed that my friends had to meet me in an Organization full of so many negative experiences. I remember having a friend that really was cool. She was treated terribly by her elder dad. We got along very well, but she really did much better in the world. I mean everyone loved that girl. When her tires needed to be changed her friend from school parents paid for them...so I know at a young age she new that there were great people out in the real world too! I know she probably still thinks I was a cool childhood friend but that I was just someone she needed to cut ties with to separate from the whole thing....I think alot of my childhood friends probobly would like to hang out...but it just isnt worth risking being sucked back into the DRAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• observador
    observador

Sometimes I compare the JW religion to drug dealers and drug gangs, as they also do some good to the community, but the end result for anyone involved with them can't be good. It wasn't for me.

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

I love you too...kiss,kiss xoxo

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Lost too much to be ‘glad’. Even what I thought was moral gain turns out to be harmful in one way or another.

Religion (not just the JW’s) has only but caused harm for me personally. Can’t say I’m glad for any of it. Can make you a stronger and better person, but at what cost…?? Could it be that you might have been that ‘better person’ without the harm and wasted life…??

• caliber
    caliber

What doesn't kill you... makes you stronger. It's like when you break a bone as it heals that is now the strongest

part of the bone. So maybe it's more like I survived.. I'm better.. I'm stronger .!

Caliber

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Clyde and I were visiting our son and daughter-in-law last weekend. They have adjusted very well to being outside the organization--have no trouble making and keeping new "worldly" friends.

My daughter-in-law made a curious statement inasmuch as she hadn't been to a meeting in about 3 years. She said, "I'm glad I was raised in the truth." She explained, "If it hadn't been for the 'truth,' I would never have met my husband" (our son). I thought, how true! And I would never have met Clyde.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

It is possible and it's done everyday - people raise moral, decent, loving, giving.......children without religion and especially without the jw's. I personally am NOT glad I was raised as a JW. Everything I am or became happened after I left. I had to struggle to get to where I am today thanks to the JW cult and my JW parents. Although I am not angry I refuse to give them credit for the person I am today.

Had I not been a strong person and determined to make it, I'd probably still be there sucking up to everyone who threatened to shun me if I left. I think it takes a strong personality to get out of that religion at a young age and not hang in for fear of loosing family and friends.

So no, the jw's gave me nothing. I left and I made a life for myself because I refused to let other people think for me, to be submissive to a cult, a man or a way of life.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I believe that we all have our strength and weaknesses. Things that happen to us during our lives will influence one or the other. I know of people raised in the org. who turn out very bad, no honor, no respect for others. I know some that left and turn out very good. I know a lot of people who were never raised in any religion who turn out very good. The important thing I believe is that you have found peace with all of it. I have found a different way of making peace with what I have lived through.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit