As Much as I hate to say this,I am glad for have being a J Dub

by SuperApostateGirl 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis
    being raised a Jehovah's Witness gave me the tools of respect for my fellow man

For me personally - i have to disagree w/ this statement. One of the things that made me start examining myself is I found the religion made me very judgemental of my fellow man. I think respect that I had could have been found following any advice you normally would get in a Christian church (or many other religions). But too often I found myself looking down on fellow man for his unworthy status, his disregard for the 'absolute truth'. I have found a much better, more enlightened path in embracing my fellow man now that I have left an organization that teaches narrow mindedness.

Jeremiah

• White Dove
    White Dove

F2T,

I'm glad that you feel the way you do. You must experience more peace than I do when thinking about it.

I noticed so many people that were "so nice, they should be JW's." They weren't and they were wonderful people anyway.

I was held as such a freak in school 6 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months a year that it's been an uphill battle to fight such low self esteem.

I really didn't benefit from being so "special" as a JW.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I really believe I would have been better off without the witnesses in my life.

When you balance it all out.....

I would not have married someone based on their, "spiritual interests", but, on love, that....spark, and what we had in common.

I would have gotten a much better education, instead of thinking all I needed was the Awake magazine.

I would have planned for a career and retirement, instead of Armageddon.

I would stiil have a relationship with my family.

Frankly, I could go on all day with this list. The fact of the matter is, I wish I had never been a witness. Gymbob

• free2think
    free2think

Im sorry White Dove, that must have been such a miserable time for you.

When i was a witness, i didnt have many frineds as i was ill throughout my life, it was lonely and isolating. I was forgotten. Im not saying that it's easy being a jw, but what i mean is that im glad for the skills being one has given me. It wnable me to cope with life. I could have gone either way. I was suicidal for a long period growing up and as my health was so bad all my 'friends' forgot about me. These experiences made me stronger. They helped shape me into who i am today.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That is exactly it. When it all balances out, it doesn't balance at all, for me at least.

If I don't have friends, my life is not worth much. I was so friggin' lonely the whole time I was in that...thing.

I learned in college how to stand at a podium and speak to a group. Never was given a chance at the hall because of the rampant mysogyny.

I'm sorry, but I really can't see any good at all. None. Associations based on religious opinion are weak.

A life based on a lie is a wasted life.

Hours upon hours ad nauseum for decades sitting in meetings is no way to live life.

I was dead but came to life when I left.

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

I only mean that it all made me stronger and that I stood up for what I believed in and it wasn't the Organization.I did get an education and in fact I have been to College 3 times.I realize

that there are those who never had the chance for education. I just need to look at it for my peace of mind that it only made me a stronger person and that it wasn't 98% bad maybe just

95! P.S Maybe respect for fellow man was a poor choice of words,I'm used to fluff! I realize that this is not the feeling for others and nor that it should be,its just mine.

XOXO

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I regret being raised in this cult. The only good things I learned there would have been taught to me anyway, minus all of the negative.

About the only thing positive from my JW experience is that I have a good nose to sniff out schemes, and that I can never be brainwashed again.

• free2think
    free2think
    I only mean that it all made me stronger and that I stood up for what I believed in

I totally agree.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I forgot that you were sick for so long:( I would never have forgotten about you had I been in your hall.

That was my way when it wasn't anyone else's way.

I asked about people who weren't there because of this or that and was told that they knew where the hall was and the times for the meetings. They said that their families were looking out for them.

It bothered me how the ones who missed meetings were ignored. The ones who were not ignored had elders for fathers. Everyone wanted to check in on the ailing relative of an elder.

The nice people leave. Did you notice that?

Oh, and yes, what happened in our childhoods and young adulthoods shape who we are today.

I'm glad to not be stuck with who I was just after I left.

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

Thank-You Free2Think....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit