Imagine

by John Doe 116 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I can't see it being a lawsuit if it caused psychological problems, the company can't be responsible for the personal problems of it's customers.

A lot of people feel that way. However, it's not the way our legal system works. We have what is called the "eggshell plaintiff" theory. You take the plaintiff as you find them. The story goes like this--suppose a man with an eggshell skull comes up to you, and you playfully slap him on the back of the head, smashing his skull. Your intentions don't matter. His disability doesn't matter. You're responsible for his harm, even if there was no way you could have foreseen it.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I would tell the management, not pay, and never return......

h40

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

If the guy had an eggshell skull, than the onus is on him to take extra precaution, even if it meant staying away from the public or wearing some type of protective helmet.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Nope. The onus is on each person to make sure he doesn't do someone else harm. You don't go around slapping people on the back of the skull.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

A reasonable person does not expect everyone to have an eggshell skull, so i still think the onus is on him, he shouldn't be coddled by the legal system.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    The Navy Hospital I had my tubal ligation done at immediately following my last child's birth screwed up and nearly cost me my life. The Navy doctor that ultimately saved my life even admitted there was negligence in my care. I talked to various lawyers about suing and they all told me that because I am not "permanently damaged" (and am still alive) I don't have a good enough case. So apparently days of excruciating and unnecessary pain while I was slowly dying and weeks of extra recovery time is not good grounds for a suit. Had I died, however, my husband could have sued on my behalf. That's comforting to know.

So would I sue for a pube? Ummmm...no. :P

Medical malpractice are the most expensive cases to try. The lawyer has to put up money for expert witness testimony, which gets very expensive very quickly. Enormous emounts of records must be sifted, through, obtained, formatted, submitted, etc. etc. This is a huge expense. The prosecution is liable for all costs associated with discovery. The defense has the money to hold out and appeal and appeal and delay, plaintiff attorneys usually don't. I suspect that it wasn't that your suit did not have enough merit, it was that you didn't have sufficient finances to try it. That's a sad fact of life. A pube in your soup, however? Most corporations will settle that out of court before it ever sees the light of day. They don't want the cost of a trial, and they don't want the publicity. Sad to say, the pube is a much easier and cheaper suit to win than your med mal case would have been.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

And back to your original question, a pubic hair is not something to sue over. The normal person may be grossed out, but they shouldn't need therapy over something like that.

• John Doe
    John Doe

A normal person is not damaged by cults either.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Who says?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Exactly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit