Imagine

by John Doe 116 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Not wanting to upset anyone, just getting an idea of where people stand on these things. There are two completely valid sides.

On the one hand, corporations do not operate with customer's safety at the forefront--or rather, they do not operate with customer safety as a direct goal. Instead, customer safety is an indirect goal fueled by profit considerations. What affects profits and encourages safety? You guessed it, law suits. Law suits are the largest reason for safety advances across our economy.

On the other hand, frivolous suits destroy profitability and make companies afraid to offer certain services, or when they do the cost may be prohibitive to the consumer.

Where do we draw the line? That's an interesting question.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

We draw the line, when people sue over stupid stuff (spilling a cup of coffee), which was their fault in the first place.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    We draw the line, when people sue over stupid stuff (spilling a cup of coffee), which was their fault in the first place.

Yes, the famous McDonald's suit. Knowing the facts of the case might change your mind. Did you realize that the woman suffered 3rd degree burns? Did you realize she only wanted to recover for her medical expenses, but her lawyers pursued punitive damages? Did you realize that McDonald's had a large history of people getting 2nd and 3rd degree burns, yet they refused to lower their temperatures. Did you realize the coffe was served at over 200 degrees?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I am not aware of the temperature that it was being served at, but doesn't chnage my mind. When you buy a cup of coffee, you expect it to be hot, therefore you take precautions by leaving the cup in the cupholder until it cools down, you hang up the cell phone and concentrate on the road.

Don't drive with it between your legs, you are only asking for trouble and even then if you were to hit a pothole and still spill it, then sue the state for allowing the pothole to exist.

• John Doe
    John Doe

So, even though the coffee was unfit for human consuption at its served temperature, and even though the punitive damages (which were jury awarded by the way) were one day of McDonald's coffee sales, even though people continuously got hurt because of McD's negligent behavior, you think the suit was ridiculous? I think the media has done a good job with you mr. guy.

• horrible life
    horrible life

My sister was 15, when the server at Luby's cafeteria slid her steaming mashed potatoes and gravy at her, and missed the tray, and it splashed all over her. She still has scars on her legs, arm and hand. A little different than McDonalds, but still, food shouldn't be that hot. My parents didn't sue, but Luby's paid all medical bills, and she bought a new car when she turned 16.

A pube in my food? and it not being the first time? TV, media. I can't see it being a lawsuit if it caused psychological problems, the company can't be responsible for the personal problems of it's customers.

Edited to put server at Luby's, not waitress

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

It was still her fault for not taking normal precautions. She was probably too busy putting on makeup or yakking on her backberry instead of paying attention to the road.

There are alot of food and beverages in this country that are served at very hot temperatures, the only way to avoid this is to serve it lukewarm, so why punish the rest of us who have common sense by making us subjected to lukewarm food?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Lukewarm and over 200 degrees are very far removed. You're overlooking one thing--the award was from a jury of our peers. The amount was reduced, but the verdict has stood. The argument that this was a frivolous case is not an issue but instead was simply sensational media fodder to sell a story. I'm surprised as heck to hear your stance on this, especially when considering your fanciful watchtower suit you're always dreaming about.

• amama2six
    amama2six

The Navy Hospital I had my tubal ligation done at immediately following my last child's birth screwed up and nearly cost me my life. The Navy doctor that ultimately saved my life even admitted there was negligence in my care. I talked to various lawyers about suing and they all told me that because I am not "permanently damaged" (and am still alive) I don't have a good enough case. So apparently days of excruciating and unnecessary pain while I was slowly dying and weeks of extra recovery time is not good grounds for a suit. Had I died, however, my husband could have sued on my behalf. That's comforting to know.

So would I sue for a pube? Ummmm...no. :P

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Why be surprised? I can lay it out when it comes to the watchtower, I can prove how they damage people.

In Horriblelife's sisters incident, I do believe she had a case, because she didn't do anything negligent, just happened to be at wrong place at the wrong time. That incident was different than someone spilling hot coffee due to their own negligence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit