Is There ANYTHING More Monotonous Than Living As A JW?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

thought so.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I began finding the meetings and door to bore misery monotonous once I came to see what rubbish the whole cult was. In fact, it was a comment from a householder that first made me think: "Jesus died 2000 yearsw ago and we're still waiting." I got to thinking the Witchtower had been preaching its predictions for over a hundred years and we still waited. Why?

Even then it was very hard at first to let go - for all the cult control reasons we know. The Generation change of 95 made the rot accelerate, along with my drinking which became a crutch to deaden the fears that got stronger.

But when I believed it whole heartedly, I loved it. A delusion that made me happy, or at least a fantasy that helped me to continue living in fear and misery.

I was even able to excuse the fact that the witlesses seemed to deliberately leave me out of things and treat me in ways that could be seen as deliberately insulting. Maybe I was too individualistic, rebellious. I consoled myself by saying I was not in it for the people I knew.

I looked forward (!!!) to the meetings. Swallowed the propaganda in spades, and called it the "fatty pieces".

So I agree with Solace - you got what you put into it, even if it was just the energy you needed to suppress your doubts and fears.

Chess and bridge dont appeal to everbody neither. It is only monotonous to those who had rather be doing something else.

It became thoroughly irksome as I realized how much in life I had missed out on, and saw non-witless friends enjoying good lives without the constraints and rules that I increasingly saw as pointless. Just getting ready for the yawnfests became monotonous.

HB

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Solace..Your a walking contradiction..Ignore the truth embrace the fiction..Taking every wrong direction on your lonely way back home..................(Kris Kristoferson is going to sue me now..LOL!!)....................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

which makes sense -- i didnt have anything against the org until a bit before i was kicked out, so no wonder all my experiences were good - i had no problems previous to that!

• Layla33
    Layla33

I can only speak for myself, but there was absolutely nothing more montonous and boring then those recycled talks they gave every week. Every to this day, I can sit in a meeting and detach because of those many years of being preached at day in and day out.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Did you guys ever see the old movie "The Time Machine" where a gong would go off and all the people in their white togas, would blindly stop what they were doing and walk without question up to the maw on the side of the mountain to a fate nobody returned from? Thats the witnesses. Do what you are told, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, do as they say or lose your family, be treated like you are dead, lose all your friends who themselves are terrified of being shunned and so will desert you. But in the meantime, tout that they are ALL "the friends" and that you are ALL a loving worldwide brotherhood, and preach that farce to the world to entice others into that maw in the side of the mountain. Fear retribution from this God you have created all the while saying he is a loving God while at the same time saying God punishes you if you dont obey and serve him because he is a jealous God...and keep walking into that maw. "And we're walking, we're walking...."

I had some fun in the JWs. I believed it at some point too. I was enthusiastic in service for awhile...but then when I found out the TRUTH about the truth, it was exactly like finding out that the father you thought was your father all your life...isnt. That the mother you thought was dead, actually deserted you. That the perfect husband you found who was supposed to be working for the CIA was actually leading a double life and had another whole family on the other coast. And no matter what GOOD times you had...they become a mockery. And you are a fool for falling for them. And all the people in your life you thought you could trust were lying to you and were lyed to themselves.

And so those good times...were never real.

The only difference between being a JW and the movie "Groundhog Day" is the Sonny and Cher music playing in the morning. Instead it was "FIRM and deTERMined in this time of the ennnnnnnnddddd"

Hey ...did you ever wonder why the JWs in Nazi concentration camps were denied food and clothing but were given pencil and paper to write Kingdom Melodies?

• minimus
    minimus

At the meetings, you "detach" yourself from it all.

• jgnat
    jgnat

ANYTHING more monotonous than living as a JW? SURE! How about:

Car lot attendant.

Night guard.

Microfiche scanner.

Those people who write indexes in the back of books.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Solace wrote: i didnt REALIZE they werent good friends until after... jeez, ive never seem so much debate over semantics!!!

And I think this is the point that is most critical.

The difference between fantasy and reality. Living a fantasy life can feel perfectly real - until it's gone. So while the feelings may have been real, the circumstances were not.

The good experience only lasted as long as the fantasy was allowed to continue.

So were they *really* good friends, or did they just appear to be good friends? When you really, really needed a friend, it seems that they showed what they truly were: fantasy (conditional) friends.

Regarding the debate over semantics. My WT-raised family is so good at this. I think the WT trained us. And part of the de-conditioning involves going back to this technique to undo the semantic twists that we became accustomed to. The exercise of working thru the semantics helps create a purposeful and thought-driven existence.

I think that many of the challenges that have been thrown back at Solace were attempts to help him determine which were real (true) and which was fantasy views of past experiences. Regardless of how enjoyable or miserable they may have been.

While we all have tales of discomfort (to choose a mild word) with the WTS, most us did have some honestly good times with people that we thought we loved at that time in our lives. The experiences are still valid and the good ones hopefully enriched our lives.

The challenge now may be to sort out the real from the fantasy and continue to build on the real.

-Aude.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i used to find some meetings interesting like 15-20 years ago, but that mainly depended on the speaker. the congregation i was in had alot of good speakers and teachers. but i have not heard anything even remotely stimulation for years. in fact the watchtower study has deteriorated into what is nothing more than an indoctrination session.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit