New Aussie craze KRISPY KREME doughnuts --What is in them? WHY?

by Witness 007 80 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

People are driving for miles to the few shops that have opened....many Pioneers leave there own Congregation territory to buy some 1 hour drive away....I took a box to my Witness work mates...they acted like I was giving them Gold! Poor Witnesses. They do taste excellent fresh....Coffee shops like "Starbucks" never took off here....were not big on Coffee.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

I think you can see what's in them on the side of the box - there's about 48 or so different ingredients, most of them chemical...softeners and dough conditioners, etc and etc.; maybe even trans fats. They were all the rage around here as well, but they've all closed down permanently...once you know what's in them and how they clog up your arteries, your taste for them vanishes quickly enough!

Anyhow, I think there is a Krispy Kreme calendar on the net somewhere with one girl for each month - each woman is between 300 and 500 pounds - quite the sight - I'll see if I can find the link if it's still around....

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

It's an American plot, you see.

America is trying to spread its obesity. You Aussies aren't fat enough.

• Meeting Junkie No More
  • Witness 007
    Witness 007

"Meeting Junky" I'm at work and too scared too look!

• DJK
    DJK

I tried a Krispy Kreme doughnut. Still warm and it sucked!! People around me didn't understand the hype over them. They didn't make it in my area for very long.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The craze was short lived in Canada. This news item is from back in 2005:

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2005/09/07/krispykreme_20050907.html

I can't remember the last time anyone here even mentioned Krispy Kreme. I don't know if they even exist in Canada any more.

W

• undercover
    undercover

I grew up with KK so I'm amused whenever they move into a new area and everyone goes goofy over them.

They are going no trans-fat...which will probably hurt the taste. Let's face it...that's why comfort food tastes so good...full of sugar, fat, lard and anything else we shouldln't eat.

edited to add:

The reason the "craze" didn't take off in some places wasn't always because people didn't like them. The CEO of KK that tried to take them national and international made a lot of poor business decisions and tried to grow the company too fast. He ended up in trouble because of company book-keeping. A lot of the franchises had to fold because they were counting on revenue as promised by corporate only to find out that the numbers were skewed and profits were not as they thought they would be. Also corporate held the franchisees over the barrel and made them pay exboritant prices for supplies and wares. The CEO has since been replaced and KK is now seeking to have a slower, more controlled growth.

They're still going strong in the South.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

I remember when KK came to Denver for the first time. There were people who lined up for hours to get at them. This particular franchise had a drive-thru and the police had to be brought in for traffic control. It was nuts! I had asked a co-worker who was brought up in another state that had KK's what was the big deal. She went into a monologue extolling the virtues of the warm kk that just went on and on. I hadn't seen such wide-eyed mania for a product in Denver since the Beanie Baby craze.

I finally got my fingers on one about three weeks after they had been in town. It tasted to me like warm, sugar-frosted lard. Yuck.

Here in Oklahoma there is a KK franchise I pass by quite often and it never seems to have much business. I have noticed in my business travels around the state that there are two or three named donut franchises (donut king, daylight donuts) that can be found in almost every small town.

I have a feeling there is some smart cookie marketing person out there that points investors to franchises like KK and Sonic and tells them not to miss out on the 'big money' that could be made. Franchises FTW!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I remember when they finally came to Ontario. My brother in law drove the hour to buy dozens of them and freeze them. Everyone thought they were sooooo great. Yuck, the worst thing I ever tasted. We had one open in my city, lasted about a year before it closed. You can still buy them at Wal-Mart though.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit