To Quit or Control it....Drinking that is....Who has succeeded and how?

by oompa 52 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Oompa, on topic and you may find this interesting, it was emailed to me today:

http://newbillingsoutpost.com/news/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20827&Itemid=27

AA founder's hallucinogen theory may work out
    Written by Roger Clawson
    Wednesday, 09 July 2008

In 1961, Bill Wilson scared his friends with a notion that might have gotten him stoned. If Wilson were alive today, he would turn over in his grave.
    Recently, his dangerous idea found new traction. Or, as we say in the fellowship: “What comes around goes around … and around … and around … and around.”
    Wilson, a stock analyst and Wall Street hustler, was already a sloshing drunk when the stock market collapsed in 1929. He sank deeper into the bottle, stole money from his wife, drank two or three quarts of bootleg gin a day. He had been hospitalized a number of times with the delirium tremens when an old drinking buddy, Ebby Thatcher, appeared.
    Ebby had found sobriety in religion. The old boozing buddy convinced Wilson that a “spiritual experience” would break the bonds of his alcoholism.
    Wilson, an evangelical agnostic, decided to give “the God business” a try. Hospitalized yet again with a near-fatal case of the DT’s and pumped full of belladonna, a hallucinogen, he saw the light, caught a whiff of God’s breath and set out to spread the word.
    First, he showed an Akron, Ohio, drunk, Dr. Robert Smith, the path to sobriety. Then, the pair founded Alcoholics Anonymous.
    In AA, new members learn from old timers who “share their experience, strength and hope.” For this exercise, the veteran drunk needs a good back story. Simply saying, “I found myself falling asleep while drinking beer and watching the ballgame” won’t do.
    When I tell my story, I like to include accounts of robbing a train in West Texas, plotting to overthrow the government of Tonga, embezzling from both the Mafia and the Vatican, marrying a voodoo queen in New Orleans while in a blackout and Dumpster diving to buy cheap wine.
    I never liked cheap wine and only dreamed of most of these exploits, but that’s the license I allow myself.
    Wilson’s story improved with age as he added interesting episodes (like the LSD plot) after getting sober.
    Though named one of the 100 most important people of the 20th century by Time magazine, Wilson collected his share of critics. They said he was the leader of a religious cult, a philanderer who preyed on vulnerable young women and a dope fiend.
    The last of these charges resulted from his use of LSD.
    Oh wow! AA’s founder dropping acid.
    LSD’s history is as interesting as Wilson’s. The use of psychedelics to treat depression, schizophrenia and alcoholism showed great promise in the 1950s.
    In one study, in the late 1950s, when Dr. Humphry Osmond gave LSD to alcoholics in Alcoholics Anonymous who had failed to quit drinking, about half had not had a drink after a year.
    Wilson accepted an invitation to try the new wonder drug. “Eureka!” he said. “That’s it.”
    He said it compared well to his belladonna/spiritual experience during his last hospitalization.
    In another universe, dropping acid may have become the surefire cure for dipsomaniacs in the 1960s. This world took a different turn. LSD activist and professional nutcase, Dr. Timothy Leary, thumped the drum for a new lifestyle. Tune in. Turn on. Drop out.
    Reckless youth experimented with drugs, sex and communal living. A president was assassinated. A war went sour.
    Wilson was about to turn 70 and toying with the idea of providing LSD to all AA members when a desperate Congress outlawed the substance in 1965. Senility had overtaken the founder, his friends decided.
    Research into the use of psychedelics to treat alcoholism, obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and other mental illnesses halted. Grants for such studies evaporated. The taboo against psychedelics lasted 40 years.
    Last week the Journal of Psychology reported that the use of psilocybin, the hallucinogenic substance found in psilocybin mushrooms, may be beneficial for those suffering from cancer-related anxiety or depression.
    Researchers in Baltimore gave psilocybin to 36 healthy volunteers, 60 percent of whom reported having a “full mystical experience.” After 14 months, the same percentage reported that taking psilocybin had increased their sense of well-being or life satisfaction.
    Convincing America’s premier research institutions to fund or sponsor research into uses of hallucinogenic drugs had seemed impossible. Now a flurry of new proposals has surfaced.
    Could it be that the dottering old Wall Street hustler and AA founder was right all along?
    Time and continued research will tell.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Wanna know how not to be an alcoholic? Don't drink. There is some literature on the medicalization of social deviancy that might be interesting to you. Many people--including the medical community to some extent--have morphed socially deviant behavior into medical issues, when in reality there is no medical foundation for the problem of over-drinking. It's because you want (or wanted) to drink, and now you can't cope without it--because, what do ya know, alcohol is an addictive substance. Doesn't matter though, because the only way you "cure" your supposed "disease" is to STOP DRINKING.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

As an example of the absurdity of "alcoholism", society doesn't have a convenient "disease" for those who can't stop smoking. They're simply addicted to nicotine and are not willing to do what it takes to quit. People learn, for one reason or another, to cope with substances, and then they realize they're slaves to it. Why not address WHY YOU CAN'T COPE, instead of why you can't quit opening the fridge and snapping open a cold one.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I think.....um.....yeah....I'm pretty sure.... there is WT articles you may consider looking into.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I've been pretty lucky and never had a problem, though when we had our last meetup Oompa you kinda made me want to drink. Not for bad reasons just for fun. It's a tough thing so long as it doesn't control your life that's my motto.

• net1261
    net1261

so um, is there a high incidence of drinking with regards to witnesses or ex-witnesses? i'm a drinker too. :)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Net, cognitive dissonance is one of the chief reasons people like JWs drink.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I think Ozzie Osborne put it best.."Sobriety is a Bitch".

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I hope you find what your looking for.

I think you know the answer and are in denial and drinking to kill the pain.

But when the dust settles you will see you have 3 options and you cant choose all 3 because that is confusion.

You can accept your situation with your wife,

change it.

or haul ass.

It appears you problem is you want to change your wife being a jw.

Changing peoples world views is not like changing the temperature setting on a thermostat.

What do you have? A woman who is on track to live forever in paradise.

What are you offering, atheism?

It would be easier selling ice to the Eskimos.

But since your stuck on option 2, changing your wifes world view.

Getting someone out of the kingdumb hall is like getting someone into the kingdumb hall.

What you need to do is love bombing and suttle hints of the view you are trying to install. And why their view is wrong. And you have to keep grinding her down. Keep calling back. Then in the ends its a matter of who has the stronger will.

Today I'd vote on her, because alcoholics do not have strong wills.

Some people become jw's in a year or less some took 20 years or more.

Thats how you get anyone out of the troof. And change anybodys world view.

I think its also known as "brainwashing". Advertising, propagandizing.

But JW's offer eternal life in paradise what have you got thats better than that.

I'd feel kind of guilty about taking that from someone. If they want to leave the garden they should do so on their own.

Maybe if you kill her hope of living forever in the new world order you can attend therapy together.

Because you know your not going to AA.

LIke Herman Hesse said "this door is not for everybody" From Steppenwolf, the book.

You can send me your 500$ for this session in care of the board.

Actually I cant charge you because youll find out when you go to the shrink that you are the one who does the talking.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Oompa,

I've had issues with alcohol on and off, I'm a "party drunk" , a "challenge me to drink drunk", and "I've got too much to handle drunk"...

After I got divorced, I was faced with life on my own, I lost a companion of 8 years, I was only 24, which means I was with my ex for 1/3 of my life. Our marriage and relationship was terrible, and I suffered alot of verbal abuse from her, constantly yelling hateful things at me, and also hitting me. I was also losing my job due to not selling enough, and had lots of debt because of the divorce and bad decisions, and the constant though that my ex had been having an affair on me. I also was severely overweight... All this, PLUS my love for Jack Daniels, brought in some dark times. I drank a fifth of Jack at least every 3 days, was plastered every night off some kind of booze, and in general wasn't leaving my house. I thought no one wanted me, no one loved me, that I was no good at anything, and I would never have anyone again.

Well after about a month or two of severe drinking and meetings with elders (thanks to the divorce) I had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with my old man. He saw all the empty bottles at my place, and asked me about it. I broke down, and cried, told him everything, and how I felt like a huge failure. He admitted to me when my mom cheated on him and left him that he also had a drinking problem. I gave him all the liquor in my house, and promised not to buy any. He checked on me alot, and then my ("worldly") musician friends asked me to start coming out to their gigs, and just hanging out. I was going out to see them alot, and eventually they had me sit in with them. So I was sitting in alot with lots of different bands, then out of nowhere, I got a call to be in a band. All this time I was also working out some, and not eating any fast foods.

I confronted my problems head on, and took them all down one by one. I also found a hobby that I already had (playing guitar) to be a great "time-filler". The feeling of being drunk or numb is cool, BUT, the feeling of playing a ripping solo to a screaming audience is even better. One of the greatest feelings of my life is playing a great solo, and just laying it all out there.

I play blues, because while I've not had the hardest life, I didn't have an easy one either, so I can dig deep and lay some real soul on you when I want to. There is so much energy and raw emotion in blues and music in general. I found myself using music as my aid to sobriety, and as my "higher power". Its worked great. I'm not "sober", but I now only use alcohol in moderation, not to get drunk or as a pain killer or to feel numb.

Good luck sir, its a hard road ahead, but you can do it with support, but you can't do it alone.

Recommended listening... David Zollo, you can find his stuff on Amazon, its real music, it talks about lots of deep subjects, and it helped me immensely. David's not a blues player per se, he's just a wonderful musician, that fights his own demons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit