Singer Songwriters who should be household names....

by hillary_step 178 Replies latest social entertainment

• bennyk
    bennyk

Gary Brooker.

• avishai
  • Burger Time
    Burger Time

Kathleen Edwards....good kinda countrish singer songwriter. Noticed you liked Neko Case Avishai you might like her. If you get a chance go to her myspace page and listen to "Alicia Ross" it's about a true story of a murdered girl, it'll almost make you cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1B8hJKz0w

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Rod Temperton and Quincy Jones. Here's Rod when he was with the group Heatwave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZzoUcOnXA

He's the organ player.

Rodney Lynn Temperton (born 1947 [1] , Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire, England) is an Englishsongwriter, record producer and musician most famous for writing the title track of Michael Jackson's Thriller, the biggest-selling album of all time.

Contents

[ hide ]

[edit] Biography

Temperton attended the De Aston School in Market Rasen. He was one of the original members of the popular funk/discoband, Heatwave. With the band, he helped compose some of the group's big-selling singles including "Boogie Nights", "Groove Line" and the memorable ballad, "Always and Forever". All three tracks were million-sellers in the U.S. [2]

In 1979, he teamed up with Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson to help conceive what became Jackson's first soloalbum in four years, and his first full-fledged solo release for Epic Records, entitled Off The Wall. In 1982, Temperton wrote three songs, including the title track, for Jackson's next LP, Thriller, which became the biggest-selling album of all time.

Temperton was nominated for an Oscar for a song on the soundtrack of the film, The Color Purple, as the co-writer of the song "Miss Celie's Blues (Sister)" [3] .

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

McFadden and Whitehead, The Mizell Bros., and Holland & Dozier.

• talesin
    talesin

I checked the string, but did anyone mention this fella ...

t

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

L.A. Reid and Babyface. Here they are in the group "The Deele".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvaBLHnRRk

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Remember they and Prince were once members of "The Time". Here's "Scream" sung by Michael and Janet Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNl2Pm9-7Vk

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Avishai,

Thank you for the Maria McKee clip. I caught her, in a manner of speaking, in Dublin a few years ago and was very impressed.

lbh,

My knowledge of music is limited, but is opening up as i have a 12y son who is just learning the saxophone.

Barbara Thompson is, as you know, a superb musician and has been around for a long while. She played, and cut a disk with one of the UK's (and the World's) best woodwind jazz players Don Rendell. I think it is called 'Just Music'. Barbara, who I met a few times through Don, is married to Jon Hiseman who drummed with Colosseum and Tempest. I hear that Barbara has sadly contracted MS in recent years.

Don Rendell, you may know is a JW and was a good friend until I lost contact with him after my exit. He is a very kind, gentle and incredibly gifted man and I have only good to say about him. Not showing bias here, as he was one of the most listened to jazz players in my home before I became a JW, but he definately is a name that every 'jazzer' should remember. He is in his eighties now, teaching music at the London School of Music and still blowing up a storm in the jazz clubs on occasion.

HS

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think if you went through the archives of every music station that has ever existed in Columbus Ohio I don't think you'd find where they have played a single song by a single artist mentioned on this thread by Avishai, Six, or HS.

So where do y'all hear about these people??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit