Singer Songwriters who should be household names....

by hillary_step 178 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sparkplug
  • littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Carole Bayer Sager, the ex-wife of Burt Bacharach, who wrote or co-wrote "Groovy kind of love", Arthur's Theme, That's What Friends are For, Nobody does it better, etc.

• four candles
    four candles

OK heres a couple for ya.

Crosby Loggins, son of kenny Loggins. we saw him supporting Joe Bonamassa.....see theres another one.... and he was brill. Such weaving of lyrics!!!!

An oldie or two now...Dave Mason and Jonathan Kelly.

Eddie Martin,great bluesman.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Buddy Guy

There's a legend!

• Witness 007
  • amicus
    amicus
    Jimmy Cliff anyone?

It's odd to watch those scenes of Jamaica, it really has changed very little since then. Jimmy Cliff is as timeless as his country, his singing/songwriting is as good as ever.

Dave Mason

Dave Masons additon to "Traffic" was magical. "Cryin' To Be Heard" was one of their all time best songs.

No one has mentioned Paul Brady, a great Irish singer/songwriter. His "the island" is one of the all time best.

• Priest73
  • Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Kenny Everette.......oh my goodness...I'm laughing and the tears are rolling...

Why is his A$$ growing???? Wow quite a video.....tee hee hee

h4o

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I don't think Bernie Tupin, Carole Bayer Sager, Rod Stewart and some of the others mentioned here fit the "songwriters who should be household names but nobody hs heard of them category!" All those folks are super famous.

Now Nanci Griffith, Colin Hay, John Prine, Iris Dement, Ray LaMontagne, John Hiatt, Martin Sexton, Townes Van Zandt - that's more like it!

Let me add some great under the radar songwriters to the list, and I'll recommend some YouTube songs to listen to them play.

Fred Eaglesmith - My Ship Needs A Place to Land
    Colin Hay – I don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You
    Richard Shindell - The Boat (One of the greatest living songwriters, bar none)
    Dar Williams – When I Was a Boy

(If those songs don't raise the hair on the back of your neck, you have no passion.)

Jon Dee Graham
    Alejandro Escovedo (though, at 55, he just signed a major record contract and is opening for Bruce Springsteen, who has loved his music for years, so he may not be unknown for long)
    Don Conoscenti
    Hayes Carll
    Eric Taylor
    Robbie Fulks
    Chris Whitley - died a couple of years ago, but one of the great ones. Listen to the first four cuts on the Big Sky Country CD.
    Sarah Borges
    Josh Ritter - Kathleen
    Chris Knight
    Ridley Bent

I do a lot of A&E writing, and I sort of specialize in profiling and reviewing singer/songwriters in alt country, indie folk and rock, etc., so this is under the radar stuff of super quality writers and performers is right up my alley!

Thanks for bringing some new names to my attention!

S4

• avishai
    avishai

Guy Clark

Jeff Buckley

Ray Lamontagne

Love Jeff buckley, only recently had gotten into Ray Lamontagne, (he's awsome) So I checked out Guy clark. Great stuff, thank you TMS!!

Here's a song from Jeff Buckley's dad, Tim. One of my favorite songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2QmQhYZEvQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit