Singer Songwriters who should be household names....

by hillary_step 178 Replies latest social entertainment

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Amicus,

Thanks for the Ry and Todd links. I've enjoyed their music for a long time. In fact, as I was playing for Lori last night, I was saying how it might have been nice to pursue a career in music. I told her, "I'd have enjoyed doing it the way Ry Cooder did, just finding and playing music that interested you without any concern for recording the next Top 20 hit."

S4

• four candles
    four candles

Yeh Amicus, Luka is his younger brother. But | havn't heard much of his stuff.Will investigate!!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Herb Alpert (This is instrumental with a few whoops in there.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennMD1fPtXA

Herbert "Herb" Alpert (born March 31, 1935) is an Americanmusician most associated with the group variously known as Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass or as Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass or just TJB for short. He is also famous for being a recording industry executive — he is the "A" of A&M Records (a recording label he and business partnerJerry Moss founded and eventually sold). Alpert's musical accomplishments include five number one hits, twenty-eight albums on the Billboard charts, eight Grammy Awards, fourteen Platinum albums and fifteen Gold albums. [1] As of 1996, Alpert had sold 72 million albums worldwide. [2] . [3]

In the 1970s, '80s, and '90s, Alpert enjoyed a successful solocareer. He had his biggest instrumental hit, "Rise" (from the album of the same name), which went number one in October of 1979 and won a Grammy Award, and was later sampled in the 1997 rap song "Hypnotize" by the late rapperNotorious B.I.G. "Rise" also made Alpert the only artist ever to hit #1 on the Billboard pop singles charts with both a vocal piece and an instrumental piece.

• amicus
    amicus

MrsMcD,
    If I remember correctly Herb A. had a reputation as a nice guy as well.
    I seem to remember one of my uncles who was involved in Burbank politics for a while talking about how much he enjoying playing golf with him. Herb A. was a good businessman as well, he make a lot of $$ in a relatively short period of time.

4candles,
    This is a pretty good example of Luka's style. Different, but good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUg-2NRweA

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Seals and Crofts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ZmHg7iMUI

Seals and Crofts are Jim Seals (born James Seals, 17 October1941, Sidney, Texas) and Dash Crofts (born Darrell Crofts, 14 August1940, Cisco, Texas), a popular soft rockduo in the early 1970s, best-known for their hits "Summer Breeze" and "Diamond Girl." They were also the most famous Bahá'ís of 1970s in the United States. Seals' younger brother, Dan Seals is also well known as one half of the successful soft rock band in the same time period, England Dan and John Ford Coley.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

B.B King - Ain't Nobody Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeMgICwXe1k

King was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, becoming one of the first artists so honored. In 2003, Rolling Stone ranked him #3 among the “100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time.” In 2006, he was presented the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest honor awarded to a civilian; his 1964 album Live At The Regal was voted into the Grammy Hall of Fame; and he won his 14th Grammy Award, for Best Traditional Blues Album for B.B. King & Friends: 80, which celebrated his 80th birthday the previous year. He has won eight previous Grammys in that category and the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. “The Thrill Is Gone” is also in the Grammy Hall of Fame.

http://www.bbking.com/news/

• avishai
    avishai

BB King is a hero of mine, because supposedly, his style came from an at least perceived deficiency on his part. According to him, he was'nt a good slide guitar player. So he developed his signature vibrato to replicate slide.

• snarf
    snarf

johnny lange

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Have`nt heard anything from Chris Rea in a while..........HS..Nice to see Danny Okeefe in your first post..The man plays with his heart..............Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dewayne Blackwell's parents, victims of the Oklahoma dust bowl, migrated to California by way of Corpus Christi, Texas where Dewayne was born. Growing up in California, he picked crops and guitars for a living.

Dewayne's first hit, "Mr. Blue," was a million seller in 1959, and his songs were recorded by many pop acts such as The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison and Bobby Vinton.

Related Resources
    Pat Alger bio
    Tony Arata bio
    Larry Bastian bio
    Dewayne Blackwell bio
    Kent Blazy bio
    Stephanie Davis bio
    Victoria Shaw bio
    Kim Williams bio
    In The Beginning: A songwriter's tribute to Garth Brooks CD Review
    CD Review Index
    Other Reviews by Carrie
    Community
    FREE Country Newsletter
    Country Chatroom
    Country Forums
    Elsewhere On The Web
    A Songwriter's Tribute To Garth Brooks on VFR Records
    Planet Garth

In country music, some of his many hits include: David Frizzell's "I'm Gonna Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home," Sammy Kershaw's "Yard Sale," and Conway Twitty's "Saturday Night Special.""Honky Tonk Man," one of three songs he wrote for the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name, was voted one of the five best movie songs of that year by the Motion Picture Association of America. He also co-wrote the theme song "This Side of Forever" for the movie Sudden Impact.

"Friends in Low Places" was hailed as the favorite song of the last twenty years by Radio and Records magazine. "Pains" has yet to be recorded by anyone but Dewayne.

DEWAYNE BLACKWELL, THE GUY SITS THERE AND SWEATS SO BAD WHEN HE WRITES, AND YOU SWEAR TO GOD HE'S GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK. THEN YOU SWEAR TO GOD YOU ARE, FROM LAUGHING SO HARD WITH HIM. WE'VE GOT A SONG CALLED "ANYBODY BUT BILL" WITH DEWAYNE. I CAN'T GET THROUGH IT WITHOUT JUST CRYING-LAUGHING. WE'VE RECORDED IT TWICE AND HAVEN'T CAPTURED IT YET.
    - Garth Brooks

DB and I have collaborated ...

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit